Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

Moving my best Captain to a new boat

13 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Members
544 posts
5,906 battles

Can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere:

I have enough XP and credits to get my tier 9 German BB, is it the right thing to do to bite the bullet and pay to move my 16 pt Captain from my Biz to the new boat? Or maybe move 1 of my 10 pt captains? Or is it best to grind out all the xp from 0?

Edited by Capt_h2o
Spelling

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The FDG is a ok Ship but not great the Bis is better.

Your Grind to the GK will be a long labor of frustrations.

Keep the captain in the Bismarck  Find a 10 pointer from your reserve or a lower ship in your port for the FDG.

The German Brothers are coming soon use the FDG to win them and Put one on the GK once you get it.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I usually move my captains forward. Pay 200k credits and gain the other half in Random with flags or fill it up with free commander exp. I already have some 19-pointers.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,282 battles

If you plan to take a line to T10 I would keep moving the captain up or else it will take forever to get your 19 point captain.

If you still are using Bismarck for ranked you may decide to keep your best captain in her until ranked is over 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,264 battles
8 minutes ago, Visidious said:

If you plan to take a line to T10 I would keep moving the captain up or else it will take forever to get your 19 point captain.

If you still are using Bismarck for ranked you may decide to keep your best captain in her until ranked is over 

The first presupposes that the OP has & is willing to spend doubloons, captain XP or free XP to retrain; otherwise there is a period in every move where they are grinding out increasing amounts of XP every time they shift up to no good end. Where the balance point is as regards XP gained at that level vs the cost of retraining is the difficult question.

The second part is excellent advice. I was in the opposite situation, not wanting to move a 12 point captain out of my Fiji to my Edinburgh, because of the retraining cost. However, Ranked demanded that my best captain be in that ship. Fortunately I had quite a bit of elite captain XP lying around from Space Battles, so that fixed that. But not everyone will.

Ultimately my advice would be to leave the captain in the Bismarck, at least until the end of the Ranked season. The only reason I would move him up and pay the retraining price is if I had a Tier 10 ship and needed it to rank out.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
544 posts
5,906 battles

I hadn't put much thought into losing the build on my Biz, I have a couple other Captains on boats I don't play much that I will move instead. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

When you reach the GK you WILL want a 19 pt cmdr so you can set her up the "ideal" way. What you do not want to do is land on the GK with only a 12 pt cmdr. Folks will tell you skills don't make much difference but at tier X and the GK, not true. They do make a difference. Huge difference. 

I'm weird of course because for the most part I liked the entire German BB line; DDs is another bag altogether. 

If you aren't willing to move your best cmdr up, why even purchase the FDG? Save free xp and skip the ship. Keep grinding in your Bismarck...once you get the free xp, move the cmdr to the GK. 

Alternatively - if you buy the FDG, move the commander up, put one of the lower cmdrs in the Bismarck. Now you have two grindy German bbs to play. :cap_rambo:

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

Can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere:

I have enough XP and credits to get my tier 9 German BB, is it the right thing to do to bite the bullet and pay to move my 16 pt Captain from my Biz to the new boat? Or maybe move 1 of my 10 pt captains? Or is it best to grind out all the xp from 0?

So the question you need to ask yourself is are you going to play a lot of tier 10 games or will it be occasional. I left my Bismarck captain where he was and recruited a new captain who eventually got moved to the Kurfurst. I enjoy the Bismarck so much and still play it on a regular basis, fat more than the Kurfurst. I personally was not a fan of the T-9 or T-10 German battleships. For me, they were decidedly inferior to the American battleships. If you are not a fan of the Bismarck, go ahead and move him up the line.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles

One recommendation for the Frederick the Great, do not go with the bigger guns. Take the smaller guns with the reload module and she will reload in something crazy like 24 seconds. The guns suck but when you are putting salvo's downrange so quickly it makes up for it.

[POP]
Members
299 posts
4,910 battles
7 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The FDG is a ok Ship but not great the Bis is better.

Your Grind to the GK will be a long labor of frustrations.

Keep the captain in the Bismarck  Find a 10 pointer from your reserve or a lower ship in your port for the FDG.

The German Brothers are coming soon use the FDG to win them and Put one on the GK once you get it.

I agree. Keep your higher level Biz captain in their ship. T9 to T10 is pretty far so your new captain will make a lot of progress and will be in the teens when you hit T10.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Personally - I like to move a single commander up the line I'm grinding, dubloon training him for each new ship purchased.

As others have said - while a low skill commander isn't all that vital in the lower tier ships, when you get to the T9 and 10 ships, an experienced skipper can have a real impact on the effectiveness of those ships.

If I enjoyed grinding the lower tier ship (like the Bis) - I keep it, and move one of the many 10 skill skippers available (usually received through mission or campaign reward, or that came with the purchase of a premium of that nation) aboard, and gradually increase his skills through game-play and commander XP earned with other 19pt skippers.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,282 battles
11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The first presupposes that the OP has & is willing to spend doubloons, captain XP or free XP to retrain; otherwise there is a period in every move where they are grinding out increasing amounts of XP every time they shift up to no good end. Where the balance point is as regards XP gained at that level vs the cost of retraining is the difficult question.

The second part is excellent advice. I was in the opposite situation, not wanting to move a 12 point captain out of my Fiji to my Edinburgh, because of the retraining cost. However, Ranked demanded that my best captain be in that ship. Fortunately I had quite a bit of elite captain XP lying around from Space Battles, so that fixed that. But not everyone will.

Ultimately my advice would be to leave the captain in the Bismarck, at least until the end of the Ranked season. The only reason I would move him up and pay the retraining price is if I had a Tier 10 ship and needed it to rank out.

I pay the 200k credits each time and use commander xp flags, typically your completing the retaining for the captain in a reasonable amount of time and really I can’t see any other way to get a captain to 19 unless you have premiums you like to play a lot.

You can have a 17 pt captain by just spending the 200k each time based on my experience at least, when you get to T 10

Edited by Visidious

Sign in to follow this