You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Patton3rdarmy13

Wargaming, why ever bother with low tier ships

72 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
241 posts
6,111 battles

I don't know about other players but from my point of view tier 1 to 4 ships are under used. They seem only played when player is grinding up a new line of ships. There is very few or no missions given the you need tier 1 to 4 ships for. Wargaming puts out mission where you can earn low tier ships but they don't get played because there is little to get most player to play low tier. Then there is the low tier premium ships that Wargaming sells that people go and buy but rarely play because low tier games are not what people play.

I loved to play low tier tanks into World of Tanks and they made it worth while to play low tier in tanks, however I don't see the same in Warships. It is clear they actively want people to play tier 5 and up in Warships by the mission requires. I see the reasons why Wargaming does so but it does change my mind that they should make it more inviting to play low tiers. Have low tier only mission give extra Commander XP, flags, etc. This would equalize the player tier spread instead for have most everybody playing tiers 5-6-7. I looked for stats to back up my personal experience but could not find any.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
142 posts

The mission thing is true, and a bit annoying. But I love low tier. I move to tier 2 to relax. It's just fun.

Love my little Tachibana.

• Cool 1

Members
1,148 posts
3,141 battles

You'll see a lot of "I love my ..." posts here. It's very relaxing and easy for people who want to take a break from competitive gameplay. They love these ships because they're fun. 

That being said, I love my Ishizuchi

• Cool 3

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

Aside from liking the ship, still useful for capt retraining, especially on those 200% weeks/weekends, but good none-the-less.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

And they are cheap!

Beta Testers
241 posts
6,111 battles
18 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

You'll see a lot of "I love my ..." posts here. It's very relaxing and easy for people who want to take a break from competitive gameplay. They love these ships because they're fun. 

That being said, I love my Ishizuchi

I love my Imperator Nikolai I

[WOLF9]
Members
1,102 posts
13 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

There should be a ranked season of tier IV/V.

My Kamikaze agrees completely.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles

The first premium I had was Yubari; still love it, love playing it. I agree with those who would advocate for more low tier missions, operations, and involvement in ranked and clan activities

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,514 posts
4,397 battles

I love my Iwaki Alpha. Nobody on the red team knows how to deal with the 'Death Pickle'.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,241 posts
17,242 battles

St Louis... the REAL St Louis...

Da hek’ is that high tier thing anyway except a barge for park benches.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I love my Ark Beta and Nikolai!   I don’t play them often, but when I do I enjoy it.

I need to break out Bellerophon and Nassau again.  Two of my favorite Dreadnought era designs.

If they gave every line a pre-dread I’d probably play those too.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,596 posts
18,181 battles

I actually play most of my games between tiers 2-5. The only time play something else is if there are missions going on that require a higher tier ship. I quit grinding ship lines a long time ago, my focus now is on captains. Upper tier game play does not pay well enough to bother with IMHO.

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
1 hour ago, Patton3rdarmy13 said:

I don't know about other players but from my point of view tier 1 to 4 ships are under used. They seem only played when player is grinding up a new line of ships.

Yes and that is why there is a push to bring on Tier II-III pre-dreadnoughts. Drop in on my thread and vote:

• Cool 2

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,438 battles

They (Wargaming ) would like to keep tier 1-4 as new player friendly as possible so that people who are still learning the basics ( WASD etc. ) don't get clubbed out by people with10k games under their belt.  The low tier reward ships are innocuous and limited in their ability to club, so WG feels safe letting them into the mix.  Because of how OP some of the tier 4 ships can be, they don't want to give clubbers an excuse to use them everyday to complete missions, so missions have moved up to tiers 5/6 - which is fine, the largest part of the player base has been in this game for years now, even casual players have a tier 5/6 ship to use.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,500 battles
28 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I love my Iwaki Alpha. Nobody on the red team knows how to deal with the 'Death Pickle'.

It's my go-to frustration ship.

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,500 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

They (Wargaming ) would like to keep tier 1-4 as new player friendly as possible so that people who are still learning the basics ( WASD etc. ) don't get clubbed out by people with10k games under their belt.  The low tier reward ships are innocuous and limited in their ability to club, so WG feels safe letting them into the mix.  Because of how OP some of the tier 4 ships can be, they don't want to give clubbers an excuse to use them everyday to complete missions, so missions have moved up to tiers 5/6 - which is fine, the largest part of the player base has been in this game for years now, even casual players have a tier 5/6 ship to use.

They could introduce a MM that takes into account number of battles. Players with under 1000 should not have to face those with more under regular conditions, let alone when it comes to missions and the such. It really wouldn't be that hard to implement.

[PVE]
Members
5,596 posts
18,181 battles
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

They could introduce a MM that takes into account number of battles. Players with under 1000 should not have to face those with more under regular conditions, let alone when it comes to missions and the such. It really wouldn't be that hard to implement.

They could but Wargaming does not want a skill based/experience based MM. Is one reason I play only co-op and quit PvP around tier 5/6 (I forget). I think they like to have new players beaten in the face with a club while telling them to "git gud" or their fellow players telling them just how much they suck. Skill based would protect the newer players and give the good players a better challenge. Course the inevitable answer from the seal clubbers is that "How would newbies learn if they don't play good players?". The answer is easy enough, once they reach a certain level or have capable ships with higher point captains as well as a decent win rate, they move up to the "big leagues". By then they should be invested enough in the game to continue playing instead of getting frustrated early on and quitting. Anyways it hardly matters, been discussed to death and Wargaming says matchmaking isn't a problem.

• Cool 2

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,438 battles
15 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

There are often not enough new players on-line to form matches successfully at off hours.  To compensate during a players introductory period PVE bots get added to the match on both sides to flesh out the teams.  This is a relatively new addition by WG, and about 9-10 months ago I tried a late night match with my tier 2 Mikasa BB for fun - que time was at 4 minutes before it threw me into a 4 v 4 match that was over in under 7 minutes. 

SO the problem is que size for low tiers at off hours - not a problem during the first 6 months of a game introduction, or again when it debuted on Steam recently, but people move past those tiers  quickly until they start new lines.  That's why after the intro match time period, all low tier players get thrown together, and that's why WG wants to make it disadvantageous for experienced players to lurk in low tiers.

• Bad 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,824 posts
11,180 battles

You have to start somewhere, sometimes playing lower tiers is more fun, and just because you have higher tiers, your not locked to only using them.

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
14 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

They could but Wargaming does not want a skill based/experience based MM. Is one reason I play only co-op and quit PvP around tier 5/6 (I forget). I think they like to have new players beaten in the face with a club while telling them to "git gud" or their fellow players telling them just how much they suck. Skill based would protect the newer players and give the good players a better challenge. Course the inevitable answer from the seal clubbers is that "How would newbies learn if they don't play good players?". The answer is easy enough, once they reach a certain level or have capable ships with higher point captains as well as a decent win rate, they move up to the "big leagues". By then they should be invested enough in the game to continue playing instead of getting frustrated early on and quitting. Anyways it hardly matters, been discussed to death and Wargaming says matchmaking isn't a problem.

Maybe, maybe not. I've suggested many times MM be set up to create matches based upon individual ship WR (not overall). Maybe they don't care for their own reasons, but I do strongly sense they know that new people playing and leaving is a big issue they have to address.

...hence my constant flogging of pre-dreadnoughts to keep new players playing on tier II with fun bash & crash pre-dread BB matches.

Drop in and vote! --

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

I have a thing for Russian Protected Cruisers at tier 3 I have found use for all 3 of them from time to time.Hmm I find it necessary to add that USS Olympia needs to be added in at tier 3 or 4 the oldest Musem ship in the USA not counting USS Consitituon a semi-Musem ship.It is in bad shape the Olympia at the moment it's a protected cruiser in case your wondering a pre ww1 configuration would work nicely.    At tier 5 Krany Krem I enjoy. 

[PVE]
Members
5,596 posts
18,181 battles
30 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Maybe, maybe not. I've suggested many times MM be set up to create matches based upon individual ship WR (not overall). Maybe they don't care for their own reasons, but I do strongly sense they know that new people playing and leaving is a big issue they have to address.

...hence my constant flogging of pre-dreadnoughts to keep new players playing on tier II with fun bash & crash pre-dread BB matches.

Drop in and vote! --

I love the pre dreads and the other early ships and would love to see them added. Voted a while back, keep up the good fight Stauffenberg!