You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Annoying_Ensign

Pissed off player

46 comments in this topic

Members
0 posts
125 battles

Someone explain how the matchmaker creates teams, then show proof. And i still won't believe u. 4 battles today, so far, all defeats because dd's run into torps and cruisers run away, leaving bb's target practice for dd's. at one time i was actually ahead on win/loss ratio, but then it seems like a switch was thrown, and the odds have been against me. I'm 56 yrs old, and i get little children for teammates. shooting each other, running into each other to the point that i don't want to partake in the fiasco to come. i would like to enjoy the game, but it's not working.

shot-18.05.15_17.42.06-0544.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 8

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,778 posts
5,809 battles

Im 54......you have to let go of it, play for laughs. You are one of a dozen players and have minimal control over your W/L record unless you division up frequently. What you DO have control over is your damage contribution, if you are considerably above average then you are doing fine.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts

Given your low battle count you are probably in the protected matchmaker with bots filling in some of the teams.   Bots are really dumb. When you reach a certain level or play I think your first t4 ship you will be with just other players. 

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Well it gets better you have very few games and you're flying low tier ships where most beginners learn the game so you will run into those kind of players   maybe look into joining a clan  So you can division up with players And maybe you'll enjoy it a lot more having some good players working with you

But you get a plus 1 for coming in here and venting good place for questions and a lot of good players come here to talk That can answer those questions:Smile_honoring:

Edited by silverdahc

[BROOK]
Members
1,619 posts

It really doesn't get better. Earlier today I played a game in my Nelson where we lost 8 ships in about 7 or 8 minutes. The reds lost none so I YOLOED for max damage. Final score was 1000 vs 10.  

Then a bit later my team won with almost the same score.  

In both games I felt as if I hadn't had much impact. 

:cap_fainting:

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

If your this angry after 55 games, then this is not the game for you, do you have a heart condition?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
32 minutes ago, Annoying_Ensign said:

I'm 56 yrs old...

Dont worry- there are older and dumberer Folk's out there. Make no mistake- the kids in here are the ones who know how to play- it's us older folk who need to stop playing it like a history lesson and accept the game for what it is instead of what we want it to be. I'm only 43 but I understand your frustration since I've personally authored half a dozen threads just like this one  

Pay closer attention to the minimap so you can see things start to unravel before you're caught in a tight spot. Thing with USN BBs is you need to see this happen well in advance otherwise you get run down like a sick dog. Adjust its size with + key...

Members
9,996 posts

I'm 60, and it seems like it a bit early in the game for you to be getting so worked up over RNGesus....:Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BROOK]
Members
1,619 posts
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I'm 60, and it seems like it a bit early in the game for you to be getting so worked up over RNGesus....:Smile_amazed:

You young whippersnappers!  

:cap_old:

• Cool 1

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,170 battles

Considering your battle count, and the fact you blame your team, implying that you are "mature" by being 56 years old, I don't think you have any logical reason to be angry.  You simply can't accept fault in what you do.

I myself am 18, and I always find something for me to improve on.

• Cool 2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,984 posts
9,947 battles

I am 64 and at least 40 years ago I got used to this as far as playing games goes and that was before online games .

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,215 posts
7,407 battles

Welcome to WOWS.

It can be frustrating at times.   The game is quite complex.  The best you can do is learn the nuances of the ship and how to inflict damage to other ships.  It's not all about the damage you do either.  You have to learn to avoid damage being done to you without actually avoiding conflict.  That is where most players fail miserably.  They avoid conflict and hide.  When you are hiding, you are not helping.  When you are in a bad position and getting killed, you are not helping.  There is a nice middle ground...er, water.  Use the minimap to chart where your enemy is and where it will be.  Find your escape routes.  Don't try to fire all your guns by positioning your ship side on to the enemy.  The damage you take will far outweigh the damage you do by getting and extra gun or two on target.  Don't be afraid to shoot forward or back instead of from the side.  Play all the different ship types to learn their strengths and weaknesses.  Even if you don't like to play them, it will help you kill them.

Early on in the game, there are lots of bots mixed with the players.  The bots are stupid.  If yours die before theirs, it puts your team at a disadvantage.  Once you progress, the teams will be all humans, just as stupid sometimes, but at least some real thought process.  I hope you stick it out.  It can be an enjoyable game if you can learn to accept the dumb things people do.  The average win rate will only be 50%, so expect to lose quite a few games.  Even really good players lose 9 out of 20 games.  That is just the way it is.  If everyone was really good, then the average would still be 50%.   ie;  don't fret about it too much. 

Edited by Murcc
  • Cool 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,032 posts

To the OP,

Play Co-op. You leave a lot, and I do mean a LOT of the childish drama behind (like the post above deriding you).

Plus it's way more relaxing and, dare I say it? Actually FUN!

[FOXEH]
Members
3,370 posts
12,209 battles

Being older doesn't make you a better player. Experience does. Keep at it. Don't take it too serious. More importantly - have fun. At 59 I find the game very relaxing having been playing it since start of open beta nearly three years ago. I avoid the things that really cause me stress (ranked, clan battles). There are days when every battle absolutely stinks. Some times it's because of team mates, sometimes because of me having a geriatric moment. Just let it go...

[OPEC]
Members
947 posts
5,108 battles

If you are this frustrated at 55 battles, you are going to be VERY frustrated when you are low tier at Tier V and above for multiple games in a row.  If you want to stay sane, you have to try to enjoy the game from the perspective of helping the team to the best of your ability in each game win OR lose.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
12 hours ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I am 64 and at least 40 years ago I got used to this as far as playing games goes and that was before online games .

Amen to that, and I am 57 (soon to be 58). The first you have to accept in any Multi-Player game, if an human can do something silly/strange/dumb that human is going to do it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
12 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

To the OP,

Play Co-op. You leave a lot, and I do mean a LOT of the childish drama behind (like the post above deriding you).

Plus it's way more relaxing and, dare I say it? Actually FUN!

Yes Co-Op is fun, FOR some of us. The OP maybe a Random player at heart. But I would suggest to take capncrunch21's advice when you are having a bad time in Random, change over to Co-Op.

BUT I have still see childish drama in Co-Op, it is just part of being Multi-Player game.

[BNKR]
Members
419 posts
2,506 battles

You really and truly should not stress with just a few dozen battles under your skipper cap. Heck, you're only a few games under 50%, so you've got a lot of room and time to grow. 

And as a 46 year old who has 16,000+ games of World of Tanks on Xbox, trust me -- this community is a freaking DREAM by comparison. :Smile_teethhappy: 

Honestly. Ask questions, take up offers to division with others, and learn as much as you can (knowledge really is key in this game). Folks really will help, so give it a chance.

Edited by MajorEnglush

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,860 posts
13,076 battles
14 hours ago, Annoying_Ensign said:

Someone explain how the matchmaker creates teams, then show proof. And i still won't believe u. 4 battles today, so far, all defeats because dd's run into torps and cruisers run away, leaving bb's target practice for dd's. at one time i was actually ahead on win/loss ratio, but then it seems like a switch was thrown, and the odds have been against me. I'm 56 yrs old, and i get little children for teammates. shooting each other, running into each other to the point that i don't want to partake in the fiasco to come. i would like to enjoy the game, but it's not working.

The actual MM algorithm is a trade secret of WG, so I cannot provide proof.  I can provide an explanation based on nigh 10000 games, and what little WG has shared with the community.  The MM looks in the queue for ships that meet the range criteria by tiers.  Usually +/- 2 tiers from the tier you queued with.  Once an assortment of ships that meet the criteria are found, the teams are generated...and off you go. 

In general, you are as likely to find yourself on the better team as you are the lesser team.  As this is roughly a 50/50 chance, you will find yourself with clumps of good and bad teams.  For example, the chance of getting four bad teams in a row (which is the same chance as four good teams) is about 6%.  

As for DDs running into torps...that's what they do best...especially during what I call the DD dance that often occurs early in the game.  A DDs life at the front is often quick and decisive...win or lose.  Cruisers will run when targeted by BBs...they die easy to BBs.  So if the DDs on your team get owned by the red DDs, and your CAs run (and can't screen your BB from DDs)...then yeah...you have a problem because the DDs are coming for YOU!!!!

Oh, even in real life battles friendly ships ran into each other with catastrophic consequences.  In our small pond, it happens A LOT...all tiers...all the time.  Fortunately, it's usually only a  minor inconvenience as friendly ramming damage is very small.  As the lower tier "ponds" are a bit smaller than the mid to high tier ponds, and the number of ships are the same, you will often see more bumps and bruises at the lower tiers due to the higher number of ships per sea area.  But it still happens...all tiers...almost every game.

Edit:  I was in the 30s on winrate at your point in the game.  Your 45 isn't bad for sub 100 games.  And even at 10000 games, I still experience stings of losses...ten straight last week...and a 3 day WR of 45%.  Frustrating.  Just roll with the punch.  I rebounded this week.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Beta Testers
490 posts
8,776 battles

MM just puts ships of the appropriate tier together. It doest care about the captain nor can it make the captain play perfectly.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

If I were just starting the game -- and they had actually had this option when I started WoWs -- I'd have stuck to CO-OP and Scenario play for the first 100 matches or so.  You learn how to shoot and some of the basic game tactics in a much lower stress setting.  And unlike a lot of PvE optional games you actual do come away from World of Warships Co-Op/Scenario modes with a lot of transferable gunnery skills for Randoms/Ranked/Clan Battles.  

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,376 posts
8,562 battles

1.  Low Tier is bleh compared to Mid / High Tier.

2: you have ALOT to learn.

3: Look into joining a Clan/Community of players that meet what you want.

4: Calling others little children in this game doesn't really fly.. as the average age is higher than most games.