Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Why would anyone pick Worcester over DM?

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

79
[UEFN]
Members
391 posts
11,853 battles

Looking at the spec, it seems like a very mediocre ship and nothing stand out in particular,  like all other US cruisers the armor is still going to be a joke, what so great about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,505
[INTEL]
Members
6,674 posts
25,826 battles

Can't tell you as I have DM and don't have Wooster.

All I've seen so far is Wooster is a Minotaur with HE. If that's true, that's good enough for me. I'll get one.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9
[SWNG]
Beta Testers
86 posts
3,591 battles

IMO, I think it will be the ability to have a Minotaur style cruiser with an option for both HE and AP when needed, otherwise very similar playstyle of current US cruiser line and Minotaur, island hop and lob exceptionally high rates of HE/AP. I look forward to her as I enjoy the Minotaur when played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles
51 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Can't tell you as I have DM and don't have Wooster.

All I've seen so far is Wooster is a Minotaur with HE. If that's true, that's good enough for me. I'll get one.

As a New Englander who knows how to pronounce British town names, can I cordially object to your horrible mistreatment of the name Worcester?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,505
[INTEL]
Members
6,674 posts
25,826 battles
38 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

As a New Englander who knows how to pronounce British town names, can I cordially object to your horrible mistreatment of the name Worcester?

Indeed you can. I am not one so I can always stand to be corrected and learn new things!

I see this one, which could be wrong of course.

Or is it Woostah?

 

 

Edited by alexf24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Indeed you can. I am not one so I can always stand to be corrected and learn new things!

I see this one, which could be wrong of course.

Or is it Woostah?

 

 

I'm in a loud room right now and one of my ears is temporarily not functioning adequately, so I can't hear that video at all right now lol.

Basically, 2 syllables. First one sounds like Wuss - just like a whimpy guy. As in, "Batman could totally kick Iron Man's butt. Without his suit Iron Man is just a wuss with a lot of money."* Second one sounds like TER, as in the last 3 letters of dumpster. People will tell you to say it like it ends with AH, but unless you have the accent, don't do that. If you don't have the accent, it's Wuss-ter. Like how I won't ever pronounce Edinburgh like a Scot, even though I know how that word should sound.

 

I have a literal hierarchy of how good a source is for how to pronounce this name.
#1. UK citizens.
#2. Natives of Massachusetts, preferably ones from near Worcester.
#3. Native New Englanders (Rhode Island and Connecticut are probably last on that bit. Some Rhode Islander told me the other day that they see Wistah...).
#4. A person who moved to Mass/New England long enough for their accent to start to change.
#5. Any other random person who can speak English.


*Disclaimer - this isn't meant to start superhero fight arguments. It's just meant to be a sentence in which I can use the word wuss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[TDRB]
Members
1,136 posts
4,280 battles
Quote

As a New Englander who knows how to pronounce British town names, can I cordially object to your horrible mistreatment of the name Worcester?

I have many friends from the New England area. Be-uh for beer & pizzer for pizza, I have reason to require audio before I can agree with your claim. Of course  with my southern accent I enunciate everything in perfect American:Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
230 posts
4,430 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

I'm in a loud room right now and one of my ears is temporarily not functioning adequately, so I can't hear that video at all right now lol.

Basically, 2 syllables. First one sounds like Wuss - just like a whimpy guy. As in, "Batman could totally kick Iron Man's butt. Without his suit Iron Man is just a wuss with a lot of money."* Second one sounds like TER, as in the last 3 letters of dumpster. People will tell you to say it like it ends with AH, but unless you have the accent, don't do that. If you don't have the accent, it's Wuss-ter. Like how I won't ever pronounce Edinburgh like a Scot, even though I know how that word should sound.

 

I have a literal hierarchy of how good a source is for how to pronounce this name.
#1. UK citizens.
#2. Natives of Massachusetts, preferably ones from near Worcester.
#3. Native New Englanders (Rhode Island and Connecticut are probably last on that bit. Some Rhode Islander told me the other day that they see Wistah...).
#4. A person who moved to Mass/New England long enough for their accent to start to change.
#5. Any other random person who can speak English.


*Disclaimer - this isn't meant to start superhero fight arguments. It's just meant to be a sentence in which I can use the word wuss?

As a Californian who grew up in Mass, i agree with this statement.   It's Wusster.  They have the best old guys hockey team: the Rusty Blades.   Rooted for them at Snoopy's Senior World Tournament a few years back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,656 battles
7 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Can't tell you as I have DM and don't have Wooster.

All I've seen so far is Wooster is a Minotaur with HE. If that's true, that's good enough for me. I'll get one.

We are still speculating but from released stats, I honestly don't think she is going to be like a radar minotaur with HE.

Mino still has better concealment with 8.7km vs 9.5km. The role of radar Mino is an oversized DD. Every bit of concealment matters in this case.

Mino has better maneuverability. The RN cruiser has smaller turning circle and better acceleration. This lets Mino to function much better on open water. Worcester will probably have to stuck behind island all the time. For that role, I think Des Moines is probably indeed the stronger choice.

Worcester has worse turret firing angles. In sub-10km fight, she will only be able to use 2 out of her 6 turrets when angled <30 degrees. If you try to use more turrets, both Mino and Des Moines will destroy you with their AP.

Last but not least, Mino has 10km torps which means he can stealth torp just like a DD. This again makes Mino to be a functional ship on open water.

Edited by Exciton8964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,505
[INTEL]
Members
6,674 posts
25,826 battles
30 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

We are still speculating but from released stats, I honestly don't think she is going to be like a radar minotaur with HE.

Mino still has better concealment with 8.7km vs 9.5km. The role of radar Mino is an oversized DD. Every bit of concealment matters in this case.

Mino has better maneuverability. The RN cruiser has smaller turning circle and better acceleration. This lets Mino to function much better on open water. Worcester will probably have to stuck behind island all the time. For that role, I think Des Moines is probably indeed the stronger choice.

Worcester has worse turret firing angles. In sub-10km fight, she will only be able to use 2 out of her 6 turrets when angled <30 degrees. If you try to use more turrets, both Mino and Des Moines will destroy you with their AP.

Last but not least, Mino has 10km torps which means he can stealth torp just like a DD. This again makes Mino to be a functional ship on open water.

This makes sense from what I've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
545
[WORX]
Members
1,887 posts
12,967 battles

Its

8 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Looking at the spec, it seems like a very mediocre ship and nothing stand out in particular,  like all other US cruisers the armor is still going to be a joke, what so great about it?

its a tier X ATL, and a step up from the Minotaur, I think that the fun factor will be there. If your a stats guy this ship is not great, if you love fun the Sauce has potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
56 posts
4,819 battles
12 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

I'm in a loud room right now and one of my ears is temporarily not functioning adequately, so I can't hear that video at all right now lol.

Basically, 2 syllables. First one sounds like Wuss - just like a whimpy guy. As in, "Batman could totally kick Iron Man's butt. Without his suit Iron Man is just a wuss with a lot of money."* Second one sounds like TER, as in the last 3 letters of dumpster. People will tell you to say it like it ends with AH, but unless you have the accent, don't do that. If you don't have the accent, it's Wuss-ter. Like how I won't ever pronounce Edinburgh like a Scot, even though I know how that word should sound.

 

I have a literal hierarchy of how good a source is for how to pronounce this name.
#1. UK citizens.
#2. Natives of Massachusetts, preferably ones from near Worcester.
#3. Native New Englanders (Rhode Island and Connecticut are probably last on that bit. Some Rhode Islander told me the other day that they see Wistah...).
#4. A person who moved to Mass/New England long enough for their accent to start to change.
#5. Any other random person who can speak English.


*Disclaimer - this isn't meant to start superhero fight arguments. It's just meant to be a sentence in which I can use the word wuss?

I was born and grew up in Worcester, and my family still lives there, so I can confirm this pronunciation.

As mentioned in #3, another acceptable pronunciation would be Wistuh, which is how my father says it.

As for why to choose Worcester over DM...I guess that remains to be seen.  Slightly better ROF; Def AA, Hydro, and Radar; more guns with higher RoF and similar fire chance should = more fires; and an even better AA bubble than DM (for what that's worth these days).  It seems like it's got more utility than DM, though will be harder to play effectively.  I'm looking forward to it, if only to run around in my hometown ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
391 posts
11,853 battles
8 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

We are still speculating but from released stats, I honestly don't think she is going to be like a radar minotaur with HE.

Mino still has better concealment with 8.7km vs 9.5km. The role of radar Mino is an oversized DD. Every bit of concealment matters in this case.

Mino has better maneuverability. The RN cruiser has smaller turning circle and better acceleration. This lets Mino to function much better on open water. Worcester will probably have to stuck behind island all the time. For that role, I think Des Moines is probably indeed the stronger choice.

Worcester has worse turret firing angles. In sub-10km fight, she will only be able to use 2 out of her 6 turrets when angled <30 degrees. If you try to use more turrets, both Mino and Des Moines will destroy you with their AP.

Last but not least, Mino has 10km torps which means he can stealth torp just like a DD. This again makes Mino to be a functional ship on open water.

The Worcester sounds a lot like the good ol' Mogami before they nerfed it, it once was the ultimate HE spamming machine hated by all BB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,542 posts
26 battles
On 16/05/2018 at 2:52 AM, Captain_Dorja said:

I have a literal hierarchy of how good a source is for how to pronounce this name.
#1. UK citizens

I have a lot of family who live in England and Scotland and they all say it differently. There's a sauce here with that name too that has a lot of debate over its name. It's a mystery!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 6:55 PM, Xcalib3r said:

Looking at the spec, it seems like a very mediocre ship and nothing stand out in particular,  like all other US cruisers the armor is still going to be a joke, what so great about it?

 

On 5/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, alexf24 said:

Can't tell you as I have DM and don't have Wooster.

All I've seen so far is Wooster is a Minotaur with HE. If that's true, that's good enough for me. I'll get one.

Well after facing for the first time this week a total of 4 Minotaur, Yeah I will take a Worcester!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
339
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, Captain_Dorja said:

As a New Englander who knows how to pronounce British town names, can I cordially object to your horrible mistreatment of the name Worcester?

Real Americans say wor-chester and don’t care how a bunch of stuck-up Tories pronounce it. Just be thankful we haven’t tar and feather you on the ship back to England traitor.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
699
[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,392 battles

Worchester?

I like correct pronunciations but...

Wor-ches-ter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles
25 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

Worchester?

I like correct pronunciations but...

Wor-ches-ter.

 

There is no H in Worcester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,405
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,956 posts
10,733 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 6:55 PM, Xcalib3r said:

Looking at the spec, it seems like a very mediocre ship and nothing stand out in particular,  like all other US cruisers the armor is still going to be a joke, what so great about it?

Who says you have to take one over the other? Just get both and conundrum removed. If you think Des Moines is superior get that 1st then get Worcester. NO game rule starting you can only have 1 or the other.

People are excited about the Worcester for a variety of reasons and I haven't heard anyone say it is because they would chose it over Des Moines but rather...

  1. Something new in US line which is one of the old guard
  2. Historical ship
  3. US ship and this is NA forum
  4. It is a Minotaur minus the torps and smoke but with HE
  5. Another ship to grind for (many people have long since got what there is to get)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
699
[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,392 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

There is no H in Worcester. 

Sorry, in-brain Autocorrect, every time.

Still calling Worcester Worchester, I like how it sounds. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
339
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

There is no H in Worcester. 

“There’s two Os in Goose boys.“

-Top Gun, 1986

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles
3 hours ago, khaenn35 said:

Sorry, in-brain Autocorrect, every time.

Still calling Worcester Worchester, I like how it sounds. 

Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×