You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

Some new game modes are tested

27 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles

From the FB DevBlog

ST. New game modes.

Several prototypes of new modes are coming to the test.

Alternate mode 1

Special control areas spawn across the map. Once they're capped, they produce particular effects. If there's a same number of ships from the different teams in the area, they're not activated until the number becomes uneven.

Possible control area effects:

Bonus points for the capping team and same amount of points lost for the rivals
Repair of allied ships in an area
Damage to enemy ships in an area

Alternate mode 2

From the beginning of the battle a zone that becomes progressively smaller spawns on the map. Inside this zone ships are constantly repaired, outside of it - constantly damaged. By the end of the battle the radius of repair zone is no more than 3 kilometers.

Alternate mode 3

Each team has a fort. Players need to cap the areas, which spawn ships equipped with explosives. Those ships move towards the enemy forts where they are supposed to detonate. These ships have a countdown timer, and they can only continue moving when there is an ally next to them. Once the ship explodes it damages every ship and fort caught within the blast radius. Amount of damage depends on the distance to the target. Direct damage to the fort does decrease the amount of points for the rival team but is less advantageous.

Alternate mode 4

This mode is close to Domination, but the control areas activate only after several minutes have passed.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,159 battles

Interesting but I miss the old Fort mode. That was fun. For random battle stuff it is nice to have some AI to fight against too. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,219 posts
12,740 battles
6 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Alternate mode 2

From the beginning of the battle a zone that becomes progressively smaller spawns on the map. Inside this zone ships are constantly repaired, outside of it - constantly damaged. By the end of the battle the radius of repair zone is no more than 3 kilometers.

Oooo. Notorious campers are going to hate that one. Habitually aggressive players are barely going to notice a difference.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Oooo. Notorious campers are going to hate that one. Habitually aggressive players are barely going to notice a difference.

And the message for the last ships standing? Winner, winner, chicken dinner :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,440 posts
2,405 battles
15 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

From the FB DevBlog

Thanks for the post echo.  I hate FB, and it hates me.

One big question:  How are these modes to be accessed?  Random at drop time, or selected like Ops?  Random surprise could be a lot of fun - at least for a while.

I like how they're thinking outside the box.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,629 posts
9,027 battles
28 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Alternate mode 2

20 minutes ago, Lert said:

I have issue with the constant damage, being healed should be more than enough incentive to get in the circle.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,219 posts
12,740 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have issue with the constant damage, being healed should be more than enough incentive to get in the circle.

Move up then and you won't be taking constant damage.

Members
9,970 posts
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's the taint on steroids....:Smile_teethhappy:

Honestly, none of those modes really sounds all that appealing, guess we'll have to see what they spit out.

Edited by awiggin

[NUWES]
Members
1,658 posts
5,567 battles
42 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

From the FB DevBlog

ST. New game modes.

Several prototypes of new modes are coming to the test.

Alternate mode 1

Special control areas spawn across the map. Once they're capped, they produce particular effects. If there's a same number of ships from the different teams in the area, they're not activated until the number becomes uneven.

Possible control area effects:

Bonus points for the capping team and same amount of points lost for the rivals
Repair of allied ships in an area
Damage to enemy ships in an area

Alternate mode 2

Alternate mode 3

Each team has a fort. Players need to cap the areas, which spawn ships equipped with explosives. Those ships move towards the enemy forts where they are supposed to detonate. These ships have a countdown timer, and they can only continue moving when there is an ally next to them. Once the ship explodes it damages every ship and fort caught within the blast radius. Amount of damage depends on the distance to the target. Direct damage to the fort does decrease the amount of points for the rival team but is less advantageous.

Alternate mode 4

This mode is close to Domination, but the control areas activate only after several minutes have passed.

I'm all for these. It's high time we had new game modes.  I have been advocating for something like Mode 2 . I like the idea of something forcing people to move forward. I would like it to be something more in tune with the game though. Put a repair ship or a floating dock in the center like in the operations and have adversary ships like a submarine or bombers spawn to the edges and start attacking if people don't move in. I think that would be more fun. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,629 posts
9,027 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

This could put people in the catch 22 of staying out and taking damage or going in and taking damage which would hurt DD's the most as none of them have the ability to repair on their own.

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
5 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I'm all for these. It's high time we had new game modes.  I have been advocating for something like Mode 2 . I like the idea of something forcing people to move forward. I would like it to be something more in tune with the game though. Put a repair ship or a floating dock in the center like in the operations and have adversary ships like a submarine or bombers spawn to the edges and start attacking if people don't move in. I think that would be more fun. 

But people would just bring an Atlanta and pimp out their AA just to see how many plane mills they could get. It would become a new scoreboard challenge, and would make doing the plane kill missions simple. 

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
15 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's the taint on steroids....:Smile_teethhappy:

Honestly, none of those modes really sounds all that appealing, guess we'll have to see what they spit out.

Although I think it is time for new game modes, I do agree with your sentiment. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

Not everybody camps; this simply looks to make everybody adopt rhe yolo zerg rush, [edited] play style of the RU server

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
46 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

And the message for the last ships standing? Winner, winner, chicken dinner :Smile_hiding:

Was thinking the same thing.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,245 posts
7,226 battles
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

Get ready for all of the Henri IV players as well as every other kiting/flanking ship players to rage. There are whole swaths of ships that are simply horrible up close. A contracting heal circle is great. Work with incentives before resorting to punishments. This particular punishment causes more problems than it solves.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,069 posts
6,768 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

Alternate mode 3

Cambeltown?

• Cool 1

[TF-64]
Members
374 posts
12,802 battles
41 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

But people would just bring an Atlanta and pimp out their AA just to see how many plane mills they could get. It would become a new scoreboard challenge, and would make doing the plane kill missions simple. 

Is this an argument for or against? Cuz now I want to see those scorecards. I see matches with a 3 man Atlanta div on each side grouped up to see who can make the better AA bubble. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

From the FB DevBlog

Alternate mode 2

This mode would be CV exclusive?  Or will CV players have to stay in the shrinking bunghole and brawl it out with the rest of us?

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles

Ummmm hello? We don't neeed new game modes. Nice, but not necessary.

WE. NEED. NEW. MAPS. About 20 new maps.

• Cool 3

Members
2,124 posts
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Ummmm hello? We don't neeed new game modes. Nice, but not necessary.

WE. NEED. NEW. MAPS. About 20 new maps.

Yep, they should be focused on new maps and making high tier maps more fun to play. Not these terrible modes.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,019 posts
8,249 battles

Sounds like campfest will be far less profitable in these game modes.

Just me, but high time WG tried something about the campfest problem.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles

Yeah, this does not sound fun and engaging. Not even slightly.

I think I'd rather you upped the base chance of detonation by 5% per lost hit point than actually play any of these.

Members
9,970 posts
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Although I think it is time for new game modes, I do agree with your sentiment. 

Yes, some new modes would be great, but the modes they are testing really don't seem all that different, simply designs intended to force players to play in a certain way.

I wonder if they intend to run them separately, or as part of the current random rotation....That could really get some people worked up.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,629 posts
9,027 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Yes, some new modes would be great, but the modes they are testing really don't seem all that different, simply designs intended to force players to play in a certain way.

I wonder if they intend to run them separately, or as part of the current random rotation....That could really get some people worked up.

I don't mind modes that make the player find new ways to play like Epicenter but not modes that limit the new ways to what the designer of the mode had in mind.