You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

Request: Forgiveness ability

56 comments in this topic

Members
248 posts
10,445 battles

There are a few times when I have pulled a bonehead manuever that put me in front of friendly torps that I should have dodged. Also there are times when I brushed against a pink teammate causing ram damage.

In these situations, I would love to be able to "forgive" the teammate and not have them incur a tk penalty. Even if they were "careless" with the torps, if i should have be able to avoid them but didn't; I want to take ownership. Offer this at the end of battle screen as well as maybe in game at moment of damage.

Update: I do think that the number of "forgiveness" may need to be limited:

• a player can only receive 1 forgiveness per game
  • If a player receives multiple forgivenesses in a series of games, the player is not eligible for forgiveness. For example: 2 forgiveness for every 5 games.
Edited by awesomeartichokes
limits on forgiveness
  • Cool 23
  • Bad 1

[SOFOP]
Members
244 posts
3,594 battles

Absolutely agree.  Just pop up a window similar to the one you get when invited to a division.  "Do you wish to forgive the damage caused by SoandSo?" Yes/No.  Pretty simple, and would eliminate the portion of TKs that are not the firing person's fault.

Sure, only YOU can prevent forest fires torping your teammates, but it would be nice to allow someone to say "Hey, that was my fault, don't give him a penalty".

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,634 battles

I agree. I usually don't mind too much if people apologize and just aren't jerks about it.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
42 posts
3,633 battles

Yes, definately!  As a still relatively inexperienced player I’ve certainly missed the torpedo warning from behind and hate to punish someone when I simply could have reacted better.

Members
142 posts

Agree. Overly automated systems can be frustrating. Would be nice to have the chance to forgive.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,851 posts
13,070 battles

In general this sounds good, however it won't change the salt from those who blame others for their mistakes.  Instead of "That idiot player turned into my torps" it will now become "That idiot player turned into my torps and should forgive me because it was his fault".  "What, not your fault"? ""Refused to forgive"?  Why you $%#$#.  Report player X for turning into my torps to make me go pink, unless he forgives his transgression by forgiving me.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,038 posts
3,564 battles
4 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

In general this sounds good, however it won't change the salt from those who blame others for their mistakes.  Instead of "That idiot player turned into my torps" it will now become "That idiot player turned into my torps and should forgive me because it was his fault".  "What, not your fault"? ""Refused to forgive"?  Why you $%#$#.  Report player X for turning into my torps to make me go pink, unless he forgives his transgression by forgiving me.

Layering salt on top of salt, what could possibly go wrong? Nothing, salt levels would surprisingly stay the same.

The Forgive option: yes please. There have been moments where I wanted to not have a player be punished for the transgression.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
248 posts
10,445 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

however it won't change the salt from those who blame others for their mistakes.

If a tk victim does want to forgive, the forgiveness should be announced in chat. The salty player will have no excuse for continued ranting. (even if they continue their rants). Either way more options for forgiveness is good - it allow for people to be human.

Personally if I am in a low tier game, I am expecting to be on my toes. Even if it is outright carelessness by a teammate, I would love to be able to forgive them as a way for that noob player to have a positive in game experience. I want them to stick around and learn.

That said, the forgiveness should show up in the end of battle results - let the tk-er know that the only reason they are not incurring a penalty is because of being forgiven. 

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

accidents happen!

Members
333 posts
3,414 battles
8 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Yeah, this, and it won't be uncommon either, it will come from the same players who refuse to admit when they make a mistake with their torps.

[SOFOP]
Members
244 posts
3,594 battles

No, it won't change the people who believe they are never wrong, but for the people who understand that humans are human, stuff happens and it isn't always someone's fault....at least those people get a chance to forgive.  There will always be people who blame others and sure, this could make it a bit worse for those.  Overall though, it would be better for most.

Members
248 posts
10,445 battles
22 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I agree. I usually don't mind too much if people apologize and just aren't jerks about it.

I wonder if a forgiveness option would reduce the salt. The legitimately frustrated accidental tk-ers would get forgiven and learn that behaving like a jerk just results in a tk penalty. But being apologetic gets the penalty waived. Of course, people who tk on purpose and then apologize need to be dealt with.

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Lost me at TK penalty. What penalty? The emotional fragility in these forums is disturbing. How are these people going to survive in the real world where penalties actually have weight behind them. "Oh no, I turned pink. The color has given me post traumatic stress disorder and I will have to spend the rest of my life on government assistance and therapy and I'll forever be unable to hold a steady job and have any healthy relationships without the help at least of a cuddly therapy dog."

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,788 posts
5,664 battles

It has nothing to do with forgiveness, Its situational awareness. Its a war game there is no forgiveness in war.

• Boring 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles

If WoWs wanted to do away with TK damage they could; they could remove it from matches just like they have removed it from some operations. But for whatever incredibly inane reason they have, they want for players to have the ability to kill other players; if they didn't, they could certainly fix it because they have before. Actions speak louder than words; they want team kills.

So all the cute little "Oh I'm so sorry please forgive me" buttons are just fine and dandy, until you try to get them into a game that doesn't want them there. Good luck with convincing WoWs to add a "You Are Forgiven" button for mechanic they could easily do away with but choose not to. 

• Cool 1

Members
248 posts
10,445 battles

<snark>

22 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Lost me at TK penalty. What penalty? The emotional fragility in these forums is disturbing. How are these people going to survive in the real world where penalties actually have weight behind them. "Oh no, I turned pink. The color has given me post traumatic stress disorder and I will have to spend the rest of my life on government assistance and therapy and I'll forever be unable to hold a steady job and have any healthy relationships without the help at least of a cuddly therapy dog."

</snark>

Fixed. 

[INTEL]
Members
803 posts
8,327 battles
23 hours ago, Raven114 said:

It has nothing to do with forgiveness, Its situational awareness. Its a war game there is no forgiveness in war.

Who implied differently?

A few nights ago I was working close with a Gearing driver defending a cap 2v4. The red Yuyang decided to make a play to delete me. Our combined firepower deleted him before he got torps off. Trouble was the Gearing set me on fire and my repair was on cooldown. 

Situational awareness saved my rear but turned him pink. I would have forgiven him if I could.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
On 16/05/2018 at 5:44 AM, awesomeartichokes said:

There are a few times when I have pulled a bonehead manuever that put me in front of friendly torps that I should have dodged. Also there are times when I brushed against a pink teammate causing ram damage.

In these situations, I would love to be able to "forgive" the teammate and not have them incur a tk penalty. Even if they were "careless" with the torps, if i should have be able to avoid them but didn't; I want to take ownership. Offer this at the end of battle screen as well as maybe in game at moment of damage.

Update: I do think that the number of "forgiveness" may need to be limited:

• a player can only receive 1 forgiveness per game
  • If a player receives multiple forgivenesses in a series of games, the player is not eligible for forgiveness. For example: 2 forgiveness for every 5 games.

I think this is a +1 positive idea, I have shot torps into people and apologised profusely about doing it, and they are totally cool about it, and same visa versa, being able to let someone off a penalty for that kind of thing would be good for the spirit of decent players

[BIAS]
Members
3,154 posts
9,272 battles
23 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

*Posts on 2 different accounts and posts about emotional fragility*

• Funny 1

[AK]
Beta Testers
334 posts
9,244 battles

I do not mind you having the option, I may never use it. For the right amount of cookies I could be convinced to do it.