You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Battleship Actions

22 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,932 battles

image.png

Reach out and touch someone or close encounters of the third kind?

My preference is to get in close (10km to 15km) and take damage for my team while providing main battery gunfire to keep the enemy scattered and get a vessel to make a crucial mistake.

Fire at range or prepare boarding parties?

"A good commander is benevolent and unconcerned with fame." - Sun Tzu

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

Members
142 posts

I absolutely love drive by pirate battles.

There's nothing like passing by a New York and deleting it with 4-6 citadel shots right under it's forward battery.

I really wish it were a more viable tactic. It's so much fun.

[NFW]
Members
47 posts
819 battles

I adore chasing down DD's with my Tirpitz. nose in, dodging torps is a hell of a lot easier than taking a salvo broadside. Secondary specialization and full speed ahead. It gets me killed, but not by the DD, its his buddies that often puch my clock for over extending, but still great fun.

[RKLES]
Members
7,210 posts
8,983 battles

Try brawling in a BB in 1-5KM now that is fun lol, although 5-15km range is fun as well I guess. :cap_haloween:

Members
644 posts
4,266 battles

There's nothing that gets my heart rate up like pulling alongside a red BB, secondaries hammering away, trying to bring my guns to bear on his broadside before he does the same to me.

• Cool 2

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Entirely dependent on the BB, opposition, map, and flow of the match. What is needed for the win?

If you are convinced you need to get to a certain range or spot on the map every time you are limiting your options and ability to make winning plays.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,441 posts
3,376 battles

There're time and place for both long range gunnery and close range brawling, but personally I prefer the close range brawling if I can get away with it. It's so much fun, when everything goes just right.

Especially when I'm brawling against multiple foes, trying to juggle multiple things at once... such as trying not to show a broadside to one ship while trying to WASD-ing to dodge the torpedos of another, at the same time trying to aim my guns at priority target.

This is the reason why I find the German BB's the most fun ships to play for me. I just when I come out on top, after an intense brawling with multiple ships. x)

[WOLF3]
Members
6,444 posts
2,405 battles

I like to push up, though not too far.  I don't have a BB above Tier 7 - and only two there - so dispersion at long range makes sniping generally unrewarding. 

One thing I have noticed: When you push and give them support, your little guys will usually get guts they never knew they had.  Make the red cruisers back off (or sink) and that red BB move somewhere out of gunsight, and suddenly you have some green cruisers protecting you from red DDs.  If you choose your position wisely, a crew like that can dominate a whole flank.

Now, don't expect this to work at low tier, but by mid-tier it seems that many little-guy drivers have figured out that joint operations can really work.

Edited by iDuckman

[RUST]
Beta Testers
947 posts
10,405 battles

Whatever the situation calls for. Long range fight or short range bawls are merely two out of many options one can choose to engage for a given game. Some ships are better at one or the other but they are not mutually exclusive and both can be exhibited in the same game as the situation changes. It's foolish to try to push a square peg into a round hole by forcing a brawl when the situation clearly calls for a standoff kiting engagement even if your ship is best suited for a brawl. 

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Depends on the ship I'm playing. Alsace, I like close up brawling (1-10km). With American BBs, I like mid-ranged play (10-20km). Drive byes are fun in any BB though.:Smile_izmena:

Edited by Rpkscout1

[414TH]
Members
342 posts
4,420 battles

While I agree that closing in and brawling with a BB is a lot of fun (it's the most satisfying thing in the game, in my opinion), it's a major gamble.  In many battles (especially high tier),  closing in is rarely the right thing to do unless the tactical situation allows for it.  Team composition is extremely important: Do you really want to push when there are still 5 Shimakazes and Gearings on the enemy team, and your DDs blew it and died in the first couple minutes?  

One of the ironies of this game is that no class can properly do their job unless the other classes on the team do theirs.  When it comes to BBs, their job is pushing and tanking.  But pushing into walls of torps while blind, deaf and dumb (not to mention focus fire from cruisers hiding in smoke or behind islands) is outright stupid.  A BB's health pool looks impressive, but focus fire and a couple torps can eliminate it in short order.  This is why it's prudent to keep your distance until you know you're not pushing into a minefield.  Having screening DDs is a godsend (when you can get them).

Being in a division mitigates these issues somewhat, since you can divide labor.  But playing solo, you can only push when you know what the DD situation is.  If you have a DD (and hence spotting) disadvantage, pushing is rarely a good idea.  Because #torpedosoup and #focusfire.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,796 battles

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, will you come a waltzing your BB near me. :Smile_teethhappy: Nothing better than BB's slogging it out at
close quarters. Makes my heart skip a beat or two. Oh the memories. :Smile_honoring: 

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,453 battles

Bismark,Tirpitz,Richelieu,Alsace...................drive in and pound them all. I love it, as any fool an plainly see. I can plainly see that

• Funny 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Situational. Had a match where I played passively while I was in the Bismarck. didn't get in close to let the secondary's do their magic ... I lost. Another match got to close with the NC... I lost. Many factors are involved in the operation of the different ships. The learning curve for this game is off the charts. Broadside battles are the most fun though. Although a Dev strike from outside 18k is awesome as well.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,255 battles

I *LOVE* brawling.  The best ships to do it with a Scharnhorst and Gneisenau because they offer multiple threats between the main battery, torps, and secondaries.

My favorite WoWS moment to date was the day I earned Double Strike achievements on 2 back to back games by brawling in my Scharnhorst.   The second one would have actually been a "triple strike" because I killed one ship with guns, one ships with secondaries, and one ship with torps near simultaneously.  The other team should have just conceded on the spot in awe.  LOL

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,255 battles

I'm REALLY looking forward to the release of Massachusetts for more awesome brawling action.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles
23 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I'm REALLY looking forward to the release of Massachusetts for more awesome brawling action.

Same here, I love Brawling in a BB, as the others said, blasting away with secondaries while you have the "turret race" with the red ship is the best part of the game for me.

Though unloading all my Derzki's torps at three ships bunched too close together is pretty sweet too :)

Hope they bundle the Mass really well, and Soon!(tm)

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
271 posts
3,713 battles

I love watching the umbrella of bb shells arcing over me as i spot for them in my dd

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles
On 5/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, TheDreadnought said:

Only if they buff the secondaries. Check out the Panzerknacker video on YouTube. Massachusetts versus Bismarck, secondaries only. The result is laughable.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 12:44 PM, Jiggiwatt said:

There's nothing that gets my heart rate up like pulling alongside a red BB, secondaries hammering away, trying to bring my guns to bear on his broadside before he does the same to me.

Especially if you're nearly full health... he's less than half and clearly wants to ram you. 

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles
10 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Only if they buff the secondaries. Check out the Panzerknacker video on YouTube. Massachusetts versus Bismarck, secondaries only. The result is laughable.

you are absolutely correct on this, based upon the video.  I couldn't be more disappointed in the Massachusetts performance.  I'm one of this ships biggest backers here on the forum...and I can't believe they'd release her like this.  Please WG, somebody watch that video and FIX the Massachusetts!

I was hoping for a Bismarck equiv in the USN...this is not it.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

I'd highly recommend you Mass Fans to go watch this video and provide some feedback.   The new "brawling USN Tier 8" is totally overmatched. Please let WG know your feelings so that the ship can be tweaked before release.

I should point out the entire video is in German, so you likely will not understand what is being said.  But watch...and cringe.

Edited by nagasakee