You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Fast & East Way to Improve CV Play

47 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts

Limit carriers to only per team.

Two carriers per side = sky cancer. 

It ruins every game. If you have a good ship like the Nikolia they both gang up on you and take you our first.

Think about it this way,  It seems like about 75% of Random Battles don't have a carrier.

Then the other 25% have two or four carriers.

So if we restrict CVs to two per game we will see them more often but the level of sky cancer will be reduced to a tolerable one.

:Smile_child:

PS   Personally speaking, CVs add nothing to the game IMHO but I acknowledge that the WW!! battles wouldn't be as authentic without them.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,210 battles

Carriers are limited to 1/team in t8+.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I disagree. Best way to keep a great CV in check with the current system is to force them to have more CVs to deal with. Let's get 3 CVs per side in tiers 4 and 5. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,619 posts
9,014 battles
3 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Are they actually limited to one or is the lack of people playing them in the upper tiers making it appear that way?

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles

Title says fast and East way, not easy.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Are they actually limited to one or is the lack of people playing them in the upper tiers making it appear that way?

Actually limited.

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts
7 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I disagree. Best way to keep a great CV in check with the current system is to force them to have more CVs to deal with. Let's get 3 CVs per side in tiers 4 and 5. 

Another solution for when MM is dealing with an overabundance of CVs is to create CV Only games.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, TheGreatBlasto said:

Another solution for when MM is dealing with an overabundance of CVs is to create CV Only games.

I've never seen enough CVs in queue to make an all CV game. Maybe with the rework? But maybe with the rework a lot of the CV mm rules can go away. But probably not.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,619 posts
9,014 battles
2 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Actually limited.

Thanks although with their rarity in the upper tiers they really don't need to be. I didn't get far into CV's because of my not being able to reasonably consistently do manual drops, I get more hits with auto drop. :Smile_sad: That pretty much limits any CV play to co-op.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

• Bad 1

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,303 battles

I disagree entirely. More CVs in a match create more dynamic problems, teamplay, coordination, and tends to average out high-skilled players; precisely what CVs need. I remember one match I had in my Hiryu against two Kagas; I kept wiping them out, but because my teammate was so bad and because they had so many planes I ended up being confined to 1/3 of the map for most of the game simply because I'd run out of ammunition too quickly. Did lots of damage, shot down over 80 planes, but ended up losing the match. It was fantastic.

• Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Thanks although with their rarity in the upper tiers they really don't need to be. I didn't get far into CV's because of my not being able to reasonably consistently do manual drops, I get more hits with auto drop. :Smile_sad: That pretty much limits any CV play to co-op.

Before Enterprise and Graf Spee, I figured they could have allowed multiple CVs at tier 8 if they wanted. But putting 2 Taiho or Hakuryu on the same team? No one would ever be safe.

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts

I have attempted a few times to consider playing CVs.  However, I have been unable to even finish watching a single video on how to play them.  The dull-as-dishwater, top-down, point & click interface just bores me to tears. 

(BTW, I have probably tried watching those videos at least two dozen times over the years.)

:Smile_sad:

• Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I have attempted a few times to consider playing CVs.  However, I have been unable to even finish watching a single video on how to play them.  The dull-as-dishwater, top-down, point & click interface just bores me to tears. 

(BTW, I have probably tried watching those videos at least two dozen times over the years.)

You don't watch, you play.

• Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Ya, CV replays aren't very fun to watch. Most of the important things are what is and is not happening on the mini-map.

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

You don't watch, you play.

I bought the Hiryu a few months ago and tried it in some coop games.

Just hated all the micromanagement needed.

The old 1990s Carriers at War is still the best CV game, IMHO.

[PLPT]
Members
635 posts
6,810 battles

I agree completely with the OP.  The worst part of carriers at Tiers 5-6-7 is getting double dropped by four TB squadrons.  There’s literally nothing a surface ship can do, even if you’re in a tight little AA bubble.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I bought the Hiryu a few months ago and tried it in some coop games.

Just hated all the micromanagement needed.

The old 1990s Carriers at War is still the best CV game, IMHO.

Problem is you play Hiryu. I only play CVs with max of five squads because that is the most I am willing to do. I have tried Taiho in PTS and while fun, my hand hurt. The feeling of:

1. Torpedo hit
  2. Torpedo hit
  3. Torpedo miss
  4. Torpedo hit
  5. Torpedo hit
  6. Torpedo hit
  7. Torpedo miss
  8. Torpedo miss

is a great. Watching DDs attempt to "race" my torpedoes as they closer and closer is also a great feeling. It is up to you, the player, to decide. I've played DDs, CLs, CAs, BBs, CVs, and I found them all fun to play and I know and understand their weaknesses.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,862 posts
19,048 battles

Let's  wait and see what happens when war gamming re-do's the CV's from what I read it's not going to be the same old CV role playing game anymore ? ? ? 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, n00bot said:

I agree completely wit the OP.  The worst part of carriers at Tiers 5-6-7 is getting double dropped by four TB squadrons.  There’s literally nothing a surface ship can do, even if you’re in a tight little AA bubble.

That is assuming both of the CV Players work together. Most won't.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,210 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

both heh. but its is limited to one.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
7 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Let's  wait and see what happens when war gamming re-do's the CV's from what I read it's not going to be the same old CV role playing game anymore ? ? ? 

Possibly. But as far as I can tell, only one person who has spent more than a few minutes playing CVs has had even a few minutes to try out their idea. So who knows if this idea, whatever it is, will stick.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,241 battles
30 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Try This one

[SIDE]
Members
1,250 posts
8,868 battles
1 hour ago, HyenaHiena said:

Yes, but clearly he is talking about lower tiers. In particular, tier 4, where ships have pretty poor AA, having 4 CV's in the game is ludicrous. Even with auto drop, they are able to farm dmg on nearly any ship they choose with near impunity.

Also, you can tell who is padding their winrates/dmg when they cross drop you. These are players that are experienced, having dropped down in tier to seal club.

It needs to change to no more than 1 CV per team in ALL tiers.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,222 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

I've never seen enough CVs in queue to make an all CV game. Maybe with the rework? But maybe with the rework a lot of the CV mm rules can go away. But probably not.

You have a better chance of seeing CVs go away than you will their MM after WoWs gets through ruining ... er fixing them, again, for the I don't know how many times it is now. I do know that WoWs uses the Russian method of tweaking ships; beat on them with a hammer until they fit where they want them to. iChase and Notser have both commented on what needs to be done; and with WoWs history of embracing player suggestions you can guarantee they'll find a new, unique, and ultimately painful way to do it.