You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spooooooooooooooooooooon

Battleship interior photos

18 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,167 posts
8,114 battles

Something I've been curious about is what some of the older battleships in-game looked like inside.  I've been on the Texas, and also the North Carolina and there are worlds of difference between the two.  I'd love to see good photos of the interior of Japanese BB's and the crew conditions.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It'll be a tough look. Japanese cameras weren't the best to begin with, and finding interior would prove challenging.

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
44 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

It'll be a tough look. Japanese cameras weren't the best to begin with, and finding interior would prove challenging.

Hmmm Japanese cameras and optics are top of the line now but you say they were not back in WWII. Interesting. What was the problem cause I have never heard that.  Just curious.  Tks

Members
805 posts
2,358 battles

I recently found a photo of the powder handling room of the USS Arizona main battery #4 when her main battery guns were being salvaged after the attack.

Edited by PcolaTy_1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
7 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Hmmm Japanese cameras and optics are top of the line now but you say they were not back in WWII. Interesting. What was the problem cause I have never heard that.  Just curious.  Tks

While the 2nd Sino-Japanese War was going on, the Japanese Government demanded of its citizens severe austerity, and made a public virtue/cult out of modest living.  I can imagine that would would harm, not help a photographic film industry.  The quality and quantity of civilian products in Japan just nosedived as the war progressed into WWII.

Edited by Sventex

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
21 minutes ago, Sventex said:

While the 2nd Sino-Japanese War was going on, the Japanese Government demanded of its citizens severe austerity, and made a public virtue/cult out of modest living.  I can imagine that would would harm, not help a photographic film industry.  The quality and quantity of civilian products in Japan just nosedived as the war progressed into WWII.

OK.  My Uncle went to Russia in the late 50's. Took him a long time to get clearance to go there. Ran out of American film and bought Russian consumer film.  The slides which I have are really neat but the Russian slides severely degraded in color quality over the years but the slides he made from American film (before he ran out) are still pristine. KGB followed him around ya know and he could not take a pic of just anything. Neat pics of St Petersburg however. 

Somewhere long time ago I saw pics of inside of Yamato.  Long time ago.  Forget where they were.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles
1 hour ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Something I've been curious about is what some of the older battleships in-game looked like inside.  I've been on the Texas, and also the North Carolina and there are worlds of difference between the two.  I'd love to see good photos of the interior of Japanese BB's and the crew conditions.

17 minutes ago, dmckay said:

KGB followed him around ya know and he could not take a pic of just anything. Neat pics of St Petersburg however. 

Spoon, I think your answer lies a bit with dmckay.

During wartime, I doubt many IJN crew would be taking photos inside of their warships. Security personnel wouldn't allow it. Think of all the effort they went through to hide the crews of sunken BBs and CVs from the population. Think of the effort they went through to hide Yamato and Musashi while under construction.

If crew did have a 'scrap' book of photos, they likely went down with the ship when they were sunk.

Beta Testers
1,167 posts
8,114 battles
22 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

During wartime, I doubt many IJN crew would be taking photos inside of their warships. Security personnel wouldn't allow it. Think of all the effort they went through to hide the crews of sunken BBs and CVs from the population. Think of the effort they went through to hide Yamato and Musashi while under construction.

If crew did have a 'scrap' book of photos, they likely went down with the ship when they were sunk.

That's a good point and I hadn't thought of it that way.  Kenpeitai was brutal in Japan during the war years.

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
39 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

You know this makes a lotta sense.  Good insight! My Uncle who went to Russia at the height of the Cold War was going to take a pic of Russian troops being transported down a street in trucks but the KGB, ahem, tour guide gal, ran over and it was NYET! It was just army TRUCKS but noooooo!  He did say she was pretty nice but man the control.  Ya only saw what they wanted you to see and photo what they allowed.  Whew.

Edited by dmckay

[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,823 battles

There are some photos of the interior of Japanese ships in the US Navy technical mission reports made at the end of the war.  These are often of indifferent quality, particularly if they're reprinted.  They show specific components like the fire control system spaces, or engineering spaces, rather than general crew quarters, that sort of thing.

The other thing is that Japanese enlisted were not paid or treated well.  Their officers got far more privileged treatment.  Most IJN ships, for example, had no freshwater showers for the enlisted crew.  You made do with salt water.  Officers often referred to the enlisted as things like "cattle."  So, with very limited space aboard, one wouldn't expect most enlisted to even have a camera or film to take photos even if they wanted to.

Beta Testers
1,167 posts
8,114 battles
1 hour ago, Murotsu said:

The other thing is that Japanese enlisted were not paid or treated well.  Their officers got far more privileged treatment.  Most IJN ships, for example, had no freshwater showers for the enlisted crew.  You made do with salt water.  Officers often referred to the enlisted as things like "cattle."  So, with very limited space aboard, one wouldn't expect most enlisted to even have a camera or film to take photos even if they wanted to.

I didn't know that, about the showers.  I have read books about the training of Japanese pilots and it was particularly long and brutal, and of course they were of the privileged class.

[CO_OP]
Beta Testers
153 posts
2,798 battles

this is as close of the interior as you would get 

4dc8e324.jpg

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles
17 hours ago, Sventex said:

Bridge of Nagato

715bdb35b565abe175def1730898f955.jpg

bombhit.jpg

Is that after a 'normal' bomb or the Able Bikini bomb?

I know Nagato was still floating after Able because they fired up her boilers and ran them for a few hours.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Is that after a 'normal' bomb or the Able Bikini bomb?

I know Nagato was still floating after Able because they fired up her boilers and ran them for a few hours.

First picture is after the Bikini bomb.  I'm guessing the second picture is before the Bikini bomb because the listed point of detonation is just below the pilot house.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles
2 hours ago, Sventex said:

First picture is after the Bikini bomb.  I'm guessing the second picture is before the Bikini bomb because the listed point of detonation is just below the pilot house.

I looked it up. Looks like all that was pre-bikini.

On 18 July 1945, the heavily camouflaged ship was attacked by fighter bombers and torpedo bombers from five American carriers as part of Admiral William Halsey, Jr.'s campaign to destroy the IJN's last surviving capital ships. Nagato was hit by two bombs, the first 500-pound (230 kg) bomb struck the bridge and killed Otsuka, the executive officer, and twelve sailors when it detonated upon hitting the roof of the conning tower.

[CO_OP]
Beta Testers
153 posts
2,798 battles

This might help but it from the Mikasa

IMG_5306.jpg

mikasa-battleship-31.jpg

$

$

• Cool 3