You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

U.S Cruiser Split - Should I buy Pensacola or wait?

55 comments in this topic

Members
1,563 posts
9,982 battles

The cruiser split has me a bit confused.  I currently have Cleveland and I have Pensacola unlocked but not purchased.

My Cleveland will move to tier 8. If I but Pensacola now does it make a difference?  If I don't won't they automatically give me one for tier 6? and if so, what happens with my XP that went to unlock Pensacola?

On the other hand if I do but Pensacola do I automatically get a New Orleans?  Not sure what to do here 

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Buy so you get new Orleans at t7, and you can sell Pensacola for extra free credits

• Cool 3

Members
1,563 posts
9,982 battles
3 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Buy so you get new Orleans at t7, and you can sell Pensacola for extra free credits

Thank you!   Any idea when update .7.5 is suppose to take place? They don't mention it. 

[OPG]
2,892 posts
10,457 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Thank you!   Any idea when update .7.5 is suppose to take place? They don't mention it. 

Next week will probably be pts week, the week after the update

[ARGSY]
Members
6,285 posts
4,243 battles

I am not sure. I currently have no port slots open, and I am assuming that when the split comes, WG will open one for the T8 Cleveland and give me the Pensacola in her place.

What they would do if I already had the Pensacola and the Cleveland, I do not know. I suspect I would get the Cleveland moved up to T8, the Pensacola's value in silver (since she's already there) and the ship re-tiered to T6, and a New Orleans to replace her at T7.

I would wait for a day or two before the split, when WG will announce in detail exactly how it will be handled.  It was said that the basic rules are going to be as for the RU destroyers, but reading back on that, I think at least two ships moved sideways in that split and the whole business was significantly more complicated. This time only one ship is moving sideways, and from the bottom of the split tree.

My concern is what's going to happen to the captains. Whoever's in the Cleveland is supposedly getting retrained in the Pensacola (with an 8-pointer being put in the Cleveland) and I was going to have that be the 10-pointer I won in ops, but I have since embarked on the Yamamoto and Honourable Service campaigns, which means my best US captain needs to be in the Cleveland after she moves.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I think there will be no PTS so my guess is next week.

You will get the T8 Cleveland and the T6 Pensacola/T7 New Orleans if you have them in your port. If not you get them XP wise unlocked. The XP stays with the tier of the ship in the old techtree. the incentive to buy the Cleveland could be that you also get the two lower CL in your port including the portslots. To lazy to search for the page that explains the VMF DD split but I think I had the new lower tier DD in my port but I sold them since I had the Leningrad and they were crap. They show at least complete reserched in the techtree.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am not sure. I currently have no port slots open, and I am assuming that when the split comes, WG will open one for the T8 Cleveland and give me the Pensacola in her place.

What they would do if I already had the Pensacola and the Cleveland, I do not know. I suspect I would get the Cleveland moved up to T8, the Pensacola's value in silver (since she's already there) and the ship re-tiered to T6, and a New Orleans to replace her at T7.

I would wait for a day or two before the split, when WG will announce in detail exactly how it will be handled.  It was said that the basic rules are going to be as for the RU destroyers, but reading back on that, I think at least two ships moved sideways in that split and the whole business was significantly more complicated. This time only one ship is moving sideways, and from the bottom of the split tree.

My concern is what's going to happen to the captains. Whoever's in the Cleveland is supposedly getting retrained in the Pensacola (with an 8-pointer being put in the Cleveland) and I was going to have that be the 10-pointer I won in ops, but I have since embarked on the Yamamoto and Honourable Service campaigns, which means my best US captain needs to be in the Cleveland after she moves.

Not sure how they handle the captain thing this time. Many players were angry the way they handle it with the VMF DD split since the captains stayed at the tier and you got some 6 to 8 point replacements for the new ships. So your Cleveland captain will ge a Pensacola captain amd you get a 8 pointer for the new Cleveland. Not the best deal for those who have a higher point captain on the Cleveland and needed to retrain him. Also: a 8 point captain at T8 isn't usefull, they should at least give a 10 point replacement since you need CE for survival at T8.

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,285 posts
4,243 battles
9 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Also: a 8 point captain at T8 isn't usefull, they should at least give a 10 point replacement since you need CE for survival at T8.

This is exactly as I expected. I think my current Cleve captain is up to 7 points, so he'll go into the Pensa to start with and that will be a good thing. As for the 8-pointer, I'm not sure what to do about him. There's supposed to be an Indianapolis marathon coming in June, but no word on how many points the captain will have. If it's anything less than eight, that's where the Cleveland captain will go if I succeed. If the Indi captain comes with a 10-pointer, I'll drop the 8-pointer into my Farragut and use the Texas to help retrain him.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Most likely PTS next week. That'll probably go for 2 weeks. Then release.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles
40 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The cruiser split has me a bit confused.  I currently have Cleveland and I have Pensacola unlocked but not purchased.

My Cleveland will move to tier 8. If I but Pensacola now does it make a difference?  If I don't won't they automatically give me one for tier 6? and if so, what happens with my XP that went to unlock Pensacola?

On the other hand if I do but Pensacola do I automatically get a New Orleans?  Not sure what to do here 

We don't know yet.  An announcement will be made before the split happens.

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,436 battles

so If I put a 0 point captain on my cleveland, I get an 8 point captain on the new teir 8 cleveland? sounds baller to me

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
Just now, Gary_P said:

so If I put a 0 point captain on my cleveland, I get an 8 point captain on the new teir 8 cleveland? sounds baller to me

Nope. They were usually generous with the splits. Also: what did they lose if they give you a better captain? Happy spoiled players are better for the business :Smile_teethhappy:

Keep in mind: this is just some virtual stuff that need no extra work, it's not like that they give you some million $ real life thingies.

[WOLF8]
Members
23 posts
3,583 battles

So for max return, you could skip out on owning the current tier 8 NO, but own the other CAs? After 5he split you will have all the ships in the CA line and the new tier 8 Cleveland?

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,436 battles

I'll leave the 13 pointer where he is then and enjoy my free 8 pointer

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
1 minute ago, Gary_P said:

I'll leave the 13 pointer where he is then and enjoy my free 8 pointer

Your avatar brings back some memories of hilarious comic moments...

• Cool 1

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,436 battles

cheese dip?

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Yes...try to buy Pepsi-cola before the split...particularly if its on sale right now.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

You might wanna read this from _RC1138 on the other cruiser line split thread....

I hope you know that was a major mistake: Sub_Oct on the dev-diaries has said this split will be handled the same way as the RU DD split. It is important to remember, if you had the Khab during that split, you did not get the new line's 10, the Groz, for free. You still needed to have had the Udaloi researched with a healthy amount of ship XP on it.

Skipping to this split: it is *impossible* to do anything now to get the Worcester immediately: the Seattle (the new T9 CL) is not taking a place of any existing T9 and as such, no transferable XP will be present on it.

Following the RU DD split model, let's say you have unlocked all the way up to and including the DM and have the Cleveland, Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, and DM sitting in port, with all ship mods researched and attached to them.

On the day the split drops you will, in your port, have each of the ships you had already bought: the T6 Pensacola, the T7 New Orleans, the T8 Balt *and* the T8 Cleveland, and the T10 DM sitting in your port *but* the Cleveland, at T8 will have none of their hull/FCS/gun upgrades researched (this is based on the fact that when the Kiev moved from T7 to T8, it lost all it's current upgrades and you had to re-grind them (if you didnt have an abundance of the PREVIOUS T8's ship XP sitting there). Since there is no T8 CL currently, no transferable XP will be available to move to the new Cleveland so it will be 0 XP present meaning EVERYONE will need to grind/use free XP to get there (as it stands, the *BALTIMORE* will receive any of the New Orleans, the current T8's extra ship XP, not the Cleveland).

In addition to this, if you have the aforementioned ships in port, you will receive the Buffalo, and it will have transferred to it any of the extra ship XP that is currently on the *BALTIMORE.* You could use this transferred XP, Free XP, or grinded new XP, depending on how much of each you have, to research its mods.

Again, going by the *RU* split which is what the Devs have said this will copy, you will *NOT* receive the following under any circumstances:

The Dallas, the Helena, the Seattle, the Worcester.

What *CAN* happen is, if you have say, an abundance of ship XP sitting on the *Omaha* right now, when the Split is released you can immediately unlock the base line Dallas. However, this is the only one that can have this. The Cleveland, as mentioned, following the established model, will have its Ship XP transferred to the Pensacola, and for the same reasons the current New Orleans ship XP will be transferred to the Baltimore. As such, there is no way *now* to immediately have for unlock the Worcester, Seattle, or Helena. All you can do is have free XP *saved*.

In short: Don't spend Free XP right now if you want *Any* of the CL's other than the Cleveland.

• Cool 1

[-OPS-]
Members
70 posts
4,581 battles

There is no announced PTS,,as of Tuesday am.no new code for test....I think that this means the spilt is imminent..guessing 3/16..just a guess...

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,253 battles

any new captains I get will get pumped with the avalanche of captain exp I have (1.6 million)

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
58 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

cheese dip?

Nope. Groo the Wanderer. Extrem funny comics. Especially if you are into RPG.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
6 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

any new captains I get will get pumped with the avalanche of captain exp I have (1.6 million)

it only takes 11,540,899 comndr pts to go from 0 to 19.   

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
315 posts
9,436 battles
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Nope. Groo the Wanderer. Extrem funny comics. Especially if you are into RPG.

/me shakes head.............I know this..............Cheese dip was his ultimate food of choice, as any fool can plainly see. I can plainly see that