Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

GDPR - Will WG make changes to be compliant?

11 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

First off, have a look-see:

https://www.eugdpr.org/

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is the most important change in data privacy regulation in 20 years - we're here to make sure you're prepared.

From a business POV I can think of two solutions for a company: 

1. Don't accept any players from any EU countries, which could, of course, destroy your business model
2. Get compliant and apply that compliance to all customers.

Neither one of those solutions seems enjoyable from a corporate viewpoint... We may see some major changes coming very soon. Those who enjoy their stats on third party sites could potentially see that go away. Stateside, I have to say this just magically appeared to me... i'm pretty sure those in the EU community knew it was coming though... so ultimately, my question is the title:

What is WoWS/WG doing to be in compliance with these new regulations? tiafyc

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
676 posts
12,414 battles

GDPR is about information who when /why you pick personal data. This regulation is already on market since 2001 GPDR it just makes,, general,, for all EU countries. So they will change just .eu cookie and request for sending newsletter etc.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
8 minutes ago, Gandariel said:

GDPR is about information who when /why you pick personal data. This regulation is already on market since 2001 GPDR it just makes,, general,, for all EU countries. So they will change just .eu cookie and request for sending newsletter etc.

From the various sites I was reading today, a number of companies are folding up because of player data they track. Maybe those companies are being lazy or don't see a long-term profit for continued investment in their game(s). I brought it up because "I thought" from the news today this was a major enhancement of the law(s). 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

WG already allows you to hide your statistics. 

I don’t think they have to change anything, besides they are too late if they have to start now.

[INTEL]
Members
665 posts
7,614 battles
47 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

First off, have a look-see:

https://www.eugdpr.org/

From a business POV I can think of two solutions for a company: 

1. Don't accept any players from any EU countries, which could, of course, destroy your business model
2. Get compliant and apply that compliance to all customers.

Neither one of those solutions seems enjoyable from a corporate viewpoint... We may see some major changes coming very soon. Those who enjoy their stats on third party sites could potentially see that go away. Stateside, I have to say this just magically appeared to me... i'm pretty sure those in the EU community knew it was coming though... so ultimately, my question is the title:

What is WoWS/WG doing to be in compliance with these new regulations? tiafyc

This is relevant to my work since I host servers in the US that EU (and other) users access.  Fortunately the GDPR data that we host is minimal and I have servers in the EU that can host this data.  It's just a move for us and some code and configuration to access the data in the new location.  Depending on the PII data used to access the US game, there may be a way to somewhat easily move most of the user information offshore and use tokens or proxies to access the US servers for gameplay.  Similar situation for the forums.  Move the PII information offshore and access the US sites only for play with usernames that don't have enough information behind them here in the US to make them personally identifiable.

It certainly a bit more complex than that for most companies, but it's something that companies will figure out better as the regulations around the law are fleshed out and case law is developed to solidify the boundaries around what is acceptable and what is not.

[WGA]
Administrator
700 posts
251 battles

This is a bit off topic gameplay wise so we are going to move it appropriately.  Rest assured our legal team is reviewing GDPR legislation and we will provide any necessary statements soon.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,368 battles

I hadn't paid any attention to this.  Interesting topic, @Herr_Reitz, thanks for bringing it up.

On brief examination, the definition of personal data:

"Any information related to a natural person or ‘Data Subject’, that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer IP address."

In-game names themselves aren't personally identifying, so statistics linked only to an in-game name, which I take to be your concern, might not be an issue (?)  I could be wrong, this is just a naive reading.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

WG is about to change their TOS.

Idk if that's because of crates=gambling, this subject, or something else.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

From the various sites I was reading today, a number of companies are folding up because of player data they track. Maybe those companies are being lazy or don't see a long-term profit for continued investment in their game(s). I brought it up because "I thought" from the news today this was a major enhancement of the law(s). 

Is game data such as player stats really personal information if it’s available publicly within the game? Not like they display our email addresses, phone numbers, real life names, social security, numbers, banking info, or address of where we live? 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

This is a bit off topic gameplay wise so we are going to move it appropriately.  Rest assured our legal team is reviewing GDPR legislation and we will provide any necessary statements soon.

Thank you, much appreciated. Looking forward to WG's statements. :cap_like:

[WOLF3]
Members
6,492 posts
2,439 battles
7 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

WG is about to change their TOS.

Idk if that's because of crates=gambling, this subject, or something else.

I think this is how WG will address it.  Accepting the ToS will be an opt-in for releasing non-personal data.  It may already qualify, but they likely will want to make it more explicit.

Notice, BTW, the disclaimer and warning that appeared above the Reply Box (this thing I'm typing in) about a month ago.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this