You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Is There Some Subtle But Significant Difference(s) Between North Carolina and Iowa/Missouri?

6 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,090 posts
5,894 battles

Having finished the North Carolina grind with about a 55% WR and well over 15k the average damage, I'm mystified by why I can't seem to duplicate this performance in the Missouri, in which I only have a 49% WR and pretty much am at the average damage on the NA server (granted, I only have 57 battles in Missouri, and a lot more in NC when you add up ranked battles)

Now that I'm 11 million silver away from Iowa, I'm hoping I can learn what makes the Iowa sisters tick before I get her.

Is there some significant play-style difference or ship difference that I'm not aware of?

All help is appreciated.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles

I found the lower hull of the Iowa to be -- challenging.  Got a supercontainer with 50K Free XP and promptly jumped to the top hull.

I moved Seven Seagal from the North Carolina to the Iowa.  I had Perma Camo for the NC, so I kept it. 

With all the top hull/modules, the rifle range is further than the Missouri, by the graces of the spotter plane.

If you have the Missouri, you know the only safe orientation is bow-in to your opponent.  You play it like a big Pensacola.

At T10 most of the time, about everything can kill you.  Stay with your team, keep map awareness and side-cover from flanking ships, and Launch that spotter when you have a reliable field of targets.  Spotter mod works well here.

As far as AA, it's pretty good, but you can still be erased by a Midway or Hak.  Support and stay together with overlapping AA when in a CV battle.  You wander off alone, you die alone.

• Cool 1

Members
271 posts
9,621 battles

The guns are a bit different - the NC shells aren't floaty, but they do drop like lead balloons. The Iowa/Missouri have a bit more conventional gun performance.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,040 posts
9,868 battles

NC is slower with lower velocity guns, less HP, slightly thinner belt, and less AA.  However, NC is potentially more accurate (higher sigma, worse dispersion) turns much more tightly, and faces generally weaker opponents ("but they both face T10!" Yeah, but NC faces less T10s, even in T10 matches-I'm sick of this terrible argument).  It could be that NC is stronger for its tier vs the Iowas.  Now, I don't have Iowa, but I do have Missouri and have nearly the opposite problem-I can't win in my T8 BBs (with the exception of Kii, weirdly) but do very well in Missouri (and Musashi).  You need to take advantage of your speed in Iowa instead of the more static play of NC, I think.  That said, with Missouri I don't do horribly much damage, I just position myself in such manner as to hold caps with my radar.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,561 posts
3,539 battles

Well the Iowa is less stealthy and has terrible rudder shift in it's A and B Hull, she also turns wider. It's guns with either the accuracy mod or DPM mod are glorious