Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tapioka70

RANKED: Flawed XP design

16 comments in this topic

[F4E]
Members
40 posts
11,067 battles

Hey Wargaming,

Love WOWS, it's an awesome game.

<Rant Begins>

Ranked is not fun. I've been trying and it's pretty ridiculous. You cap and you sink ships, but you can't always carry. What's worse is that with DDs we don't get the same XP as those BBs who farm damage.

I'm the only one still alive I cap multiple times, kill 1-2 ships but I don't get to keep my star. How is that fair?

Notser made a video about it today and I 100% agree. Not only is it bad game design, it's NOT FUN or CLEAR how XP is rewarded. After all this is a game, it shouldn't be frustrating but challenging. What's worse is to you think we have unlimited time to play this game? My time is at a premium and I think you should respect players in that respect. It shouldn't be a grind fest.

Perhaps Irrevocable Rank 10 was a bad idea, along with the current XP system (how much XP do you get for capping?). It rewards selfish play the minute the first or second ship goes, teamplay goes out the window.

</Rant over.>

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I like French Salt, it's the best for cooking.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NOBS]
Members
552 posts
5,979 battles
6 minutes ago, Tapioka70 said:

Hey Wargaming,

Love WOWS, it's an awesome game.

<Rant Begins>

Ranked is not fun. I've been trying and it's pretty ridiculous. You cap and you sink ships, but you can't always carry. What's worse is that with DDs we don't get the same XP as those BBs who farm damage.

I'm the only one still alive I cap multiple times, kill 1-2 ships but I don't get to keep my star. How is that fair?

Notser made a video about it today and I 100% agree. Not only is it bad game design, it's NOT FUN or CLEAR how XP is rewarded. After all this is a game, it shouldn't be frustrating but challenging. What's worse is to you think we have unlimited time to play this game? My time is at a premium and I think you should respect players in that respect. It shouldn't be a grind fest.

Perhaps Irrevocable Rank 10 was a bad idea, along with the current XP system (how much XP do you get for capping?). It rewards selfish play the minute the first or second ship goes, teamplay goes out the window.

</Rant over.>

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I like French Salt, it's the best for cooking.

Not all BB's farm XP, I'd be sitting with you in that cap flaming secondaries down on the reds, with the farmers [edited] about me sitting in the cap in my BB. Pisses me off to see another Bismarck or Tirpitz sitting 20 km from the cap trying to hit for XP, get in there and fight for a win

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

The rewards at the early stages are worth it. Finally got to 10, and looked at the level rewards beyond.

No.  Thank.  You.

Guaranteed reports if one does not play the way one "should". Win or lose.

Little to no silver profit.

No irrevocable past 10 all the way to 1. wth is that? At least stick one in at 5.

------

It is an exercise in ego past 10. The population at that level is salty and unforgiving. It ceases to be an enjoyable way to spend my precious little leisure time. They take themselves and the game a tad too seriously for my tastes.

-----

Ranked is worth it at the lower ranks. Easy play and good rewards. If the rewards scaled up, and the ranks locked at more levels it would be worth continuing.

25 of every flag for whacking baby seals but a couple camos for surviving unicums?  It looked like a test to see just how gullible we are.

[STW]
Members
292 posts
6,503 battles

The experience gain is fine,the main issue this season is/was very inexperienced players in tier 10 ships. 

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

I really like 7v7 and the games are more fun for me than random battles, so rank stars aside it is a fun battle type that I would prefer to play over the rest.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,430 posts
4,302 battles

It's the only place new Tier VIIIs can go where they're guaranteed not to be swamped by Tier X, but because it attracts a subpopulation of elite players, the new Tier VIIIs are going to get whacked anyway. It'd be nice if they could have a permanent own-tier matchmaking option, with the understanding that - just like ranked - your teams are small and your wait time is indefinite.

There's nothing wrong with the XP design - the trouble is people not understanding what the goal is, and having ego issues when they lose.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Funny thing that, the cost of playing the R10 and beyond battles. It can really eat into your silver account. :cap_old:If that is, you don't have solid matches. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,886 battles
9 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Funny thing that, the cost of playing the R10 and beyond battles. It can really eat into your silver account. :cap_old:If that is, you don't have solid matches. 

WG wants you to buy T10 premium camo.

[VFW]
Members
942 posts
21,284 battles

While the XP distribution is off in rank this is not a new problem, but I overall like the T10 requirement at R10 and below.   True that as a BB or CA your chances of keeping a star in a lost is higher, although the DDs are the main influences in Rank.   When I play BBs in rank, I try my hardest to cover the DDs that push the caps so that the team has a greater chance of winning.

As for the R10 ship requirement and lock at R10, overall I like that WG did this for season 9.   Different from past seasons, I find overall but not fully, that the player base is a bit better.   Don't get me wrong, there are still straphangers and griefers in these ranks.

VR,

P.S.  While overall I agree with Notser, lately is more emotional criticisms of the game is off-putting.  I hope he returns to a more logic and measured look at the game.

• Cool 1

[BBC]
Members
936 posts
12,337 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well I have prem acct and alot of zulu flags. Even with 3 prem consume s. On Henry I'm making 50-100k a game with standard camo.  But if your on standard acct. You would lose quite a bit per game on avg.

[SCCC]
Members
208 posts
11,995 battles

Just did 98k damage and solo capped three times and lost a star because the cong in the back did more damage with HE.  The struggle is real.  With DD's it all or nothing.

Edited by rabidrabit

[TMS]
Members
1,742 posts
22,088 battles
6 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

Just did 98k damage and solo capped three times and lost a star because the cong in the back did more damage with HE.  The struggle is real.  With DD's it all or nothing.

:Smile-angry:

Edited by Final8ty
  • Funny 1

[SC]
Alpha Tester
128 posts
5,500 battles

That is funny cause I did 140k damage with my zao and got a cap point and sunk 2 boats but yet a gearing beat me out somehow by over 450 base xp on our loss.  I have no clue what he did to get 1500 base xp in a loss in ranked but he did it.  He didn't even get any special rewards like wither or high caliber, I got high caliber myself, again not sure what that means as far as xp goes.  

I just wish that wargaming would show other ships achievements so that we could say oh man he did 180k damage and capped 4 time and spotted so we could at least know what was best for earning xp because it seems sometime people get the star for reasons unknown.

Personally I think the save your star thing needs to go, they added it in like season 2 or 3 because it was too hard to get to next rank sometimes but its a horrible thing that promotes running and hiding when the game gets close so you can benitit yourself as opposed to helping team. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
48 minutes ago, Rilak said:

Well I have prem acct and alot of zulu flags. Even with 3 prem consume s. On Henry I'm making 50-100k a game with standard camo.  But if your on standard acct. You would lose quite a bit per game on avg.

True... I just dipped my toes in the water shoot to reach 10.1 and wow... we had a Yamato go with a DD to a cap alone... refused to follow the team. Fortunately for me, my Montana managed team lead... the cost really isn't worth the rewards. So there's no desire on my part to push any further. I'm happy. 

Sign in to follow this