Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Valdez_Raptor

Why give the German commander improved vigilance?

33 comments in this topic

Members
474 posts
8,523 battles

German Commander Franz von Jütland's Recruitment, with 10 Skillpoints. 
Specialized for flag_Germany.png normal.png I Hermelin 

Franz von Jütland boasts these Unique Commander Traits: 

a023b918-5669-11e5-9d07-000c29ca62ad.PNG Improved Vigilance: The torpedo acquistion range bonus of Vigilance increases from +25% to +35%

9ff9cc48-5669-11e5-9d07-000c29ca62ad.PNG Handyman: The consumable reload time reduction of Jack of All Trades increases from -5% to -10%

Looking at it, it makes me wonder why?   Many of the other commanders seem to have commanders that fit the nation, yet the German one gets the least likely to be used one when it comes to improved Vigilance, why do I think this?   Let's see, most of the German DD's have hydro, German Cruisers have great Hydro, the tier 8 BB's and up have Hydro (the ones that MAY have needed it).    Don't get me wrong the jack of all Trade's is nice, but I just think the other perk is utterly wasted in the German tree that has little reason to even pick it up.  What are other's thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Valdez_Raptor

Beta Testers
1,300 posts
6,543 battles

It’s because they have great hydro.  Vigilance stacks with hydro making a huge torpedo spotting area you can protect nearby allies with.

• Cool 10

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I plan on using it.  It will create a huge anti-torpedo-stealth zone.

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I plan on using it.  It will create a huge anti-torpedo-stealth zone.

Only would be good on the cruisers, and maybe the DDs. The German BBs typically have their Captain points eaten up by secondary skills.

• Bad 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
498 posts
5,581 battles

When the improved jack of all trades stacks with the flag you'll burn through your hydros faster and will still have a torp spotting advantage without hydro if you run out...but that is really rare that would happen. As Admiral said, all the captain points are in other skills for BBs....I'd be hard pressed to give up a T3 skill on my cruisers for VI. I MIGHT go with it on a DD captain since I like VI on my Akizuki/Harekaze and I'm always in the thick of the action playing those, VI helps a lot.

Edited by HeathenForay

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,207 battles

Hydro + Vigilance = counter to Asashio. That's what he's for.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
9 hours ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

German Commander Franz von Jütland's Recruitment, with 10 Skillpoints. 
Specialized for flag_Germany.png normal.png I Hermelin 

Franz von Jütland boasts these Unique Commander Traits: 

a023b918-5669-11e5-9d07-000c29ca62ad.PNG Improved Vigilance: The torpedo acquistion range bonus of Vigilance increases from +25% to +35%

9ff9cc48-5669-11e5-9d07-000c29ca62ad.PNG Handyman: The consumable reload time reduction of Jack of All Trades increases from -5% to -10%

Looking at it, it makes me wonder why?   Many of the other commanders seem to have commanders that fit the nation, yet the German one gets the least likely to be used one when it comes to improved Vigilance, why do I think this?   Let's see, most of the German DD's have hydro, German Cruisers have great Hydro, the tier 8 BB's and up have Hydro (the ones that MAY have needed it).    Don't get me wrong the jack of all Trade's is nice, but I just think the other perk is utterly wasted in the German tree that has little reason to even pick it up.  What are other's thoughts on the matter?

The German Battleships are brawlers. They work best up close and personal with the enemy. SO vigilance stacks with hydro encouraging people to play the German battleships as intended. Up close and personal.

[BBC]
Members
929 posts
12,307 battles

Let's see as a German bb I'm always pushing and close to enemy and in easy torp range, my hydro is down as often as it's up. Anything to help me stay alive and be aggressive is a good match.

• Cool 1

[IHW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
185 posts

i like it as it would allow me to spot torps much faster in my Kurfürst

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
57 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

The German Battleships are brawlers. They work best up close and personal with the enemy. SO vigilance stacks with hydro encouraging people to play the German battleships as intended. Up close and personal.

I don’t usually have Torpedo problems in my German BBs, I love playing them up into very close range, but my starndard hydro range or cat fighters spot the Torps in time for me.

Might be usable on Gneisenau captain though since it lacks hydro, although would still have to give up a skill though. I don’t have a Scharnhorst so have not gotten to test if Vigilance fits into that ship better or not.

My thoughts on using the new German Command are maybe use them on German cruisers,  along with Target Acquisition Mod so that when Hydro is on you can do some nice long range Torp spotting for the team. But more practically speaking I will like just use new Command only for enhanced Jack of all Trades skill, just as I use Jack Dunkirk on BBs which sacrifices the smoke skill. Jack Dunkirk at least has 2 good skills for BBs so sacrificing the 3rd skill is no big deal.

Personally I think either BFT, AFT, or SI would have been better skill instead of Vigilance for Von Jutland. AFT or BFT would only need 1-5% improvement over original skill to be of interest without going overboard on being overpowered and would help AA and secondary power. Getting 2 extra Consumable Charges out of SI would encourage and allow German BBs to Tank and do so for longer possibly. I use SI premium Consumables and frequently burn through all 5 heals and wish for an extra one sometimes. ( fire spamming against you tends to eat up a lot of HP over the course of a battle)

If the skills I mentioned are too much to ask for then maybe PM, EM, or SE?

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,575 battles

Guess who is gonna be my Z-52 captian?:cap_haloween:

Don't care about jack of all trades boost, but that no torpedo zone is gonna be epic.

• Cool 2

[RNJR]
Members
207 posts
4,212 battles

German BBs are mid to close range brawlers and need all the torpedo avoidance help they can get.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,415 posts
3,337 battles

Last time I heard, the torpedo detecting ability of planes were nerfed. Using the catapult plane for spotting torpedoes when the Hydro-acoustic is on cool down may not be so lucrative anymore. Thus, I would think that the Vigilance might come in handy for high tier German BB's when the Hydro is on cool down.

My 2 doubloons.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
18 hours ago, Kenjister said:

It’s because they have great hydro.  Vigilance stacks with hydro making a huge torpedo spotting area you can protect nearby allies with.

^ this. 

so how far out can a German ship detect torps with this captain skill + hydro?

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Cool 1

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

The answer to using vigilance and keep enough secondary skills is simple but most people won't do it in the current meta.  Lose concealment expert.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,654 battles

I certainly won't be using it, just like I don't use HA on the Russian captain. Vigilance doesn't fit into any build. BB would have to lose BoS or Super. Nobody (good) gets torped enough to justify losing that much effective HP and those who do aren't going to be dodging with Vigilance in the first place. Bismarck and down can dodge just fine without hydro and Bismarck is even better with hydro. FDG is a slightly worse Bismarck in this regard and GK can't dodge a salvo even if it was spotted at 5km.

German brawling is a meme because you can't actually do that at high tiers on most maps. You get spotted from orbit and fire spammed at 20km. Survivability build reigns supreme. Stay alive as long as possible, keep your distance from DDs, and delete CAs.

Edited by awildseaking

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
5 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Don't care about jack of all trades boost, but that no torpedo zone is gonna be epic.

SI BFT SE DE are all much better 3pt skills for Z52 than vigilance. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,051 posts
14,457 battles
17 hours ago, Kenjister said:

German Hydro is the Best Hydro in the game.  Even the Tier VIII-X German BBs access Hydro and GK shares the same Hydro as Hindenburg.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

with the vigilance stack that should put Z-52 & Hindenberg torp detection with hydro at 5.43-Km (base hydro detection rng for torps is shown on wiki as 4.02Km).

Bismarck base torpedo detection range for hydro is shown on wiki as 3.12km.  With the enhanced captain vigilance skill that should stack to 4.21Km torp detection range. 

I cant speak to Bismarck play as I dont play it much, but being able to detect torps out to 5.43km in a Z-52 seems handy.    

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, Ju87s said:

SI BFT SE DE are all much better 3pt skills for Z52 than vigilance. 

yeah -- there is the trade off with a number of other good 3pts skills.  Torp reload, survivability 

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
19 hours ago, Kenjister said:

I could have sworn that WG said vigilance does not stack with hydro when the skill came out.

Members
474 posts
8,523 battles
22 hours ago, Ju87s said:

I could have sworn that WG said vigilance does not stack with hydro when the skill came out.

It doesn't, which is why I am confused people are saying this will be great.

Members
98 posts
6,598 battles

I use vigilance on my Tirpitz since it doesn't have hydro, however i think there are better skills that make him more useful on other ships. Also why is he going to be the only one without expert marksmen.

Members
475 posts
5,657 battles
On 15/05/2018 at 11:54 AM, HazardDrake said:

And what captain skill you are willing to lose?

Sign in to follow this