You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Notser: Fix XP (ranked)

87 comments in this topic

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Lots of threads talking about XP/save your star.

Notser gives his views on XP in ranked, and gives suggestions.

• Cool 10

[SCCC]
Members
208 posts
11,896 battles

Ranked being implemented in a grossly incompetent way?  WG would never do that!

[WJDC]
Members
1,207 posts
7,541 battles

The lack of team play, and players that are willing to enter into team play is still an issue. The scoring for Ranked and battles in general does lead to grabbing points Vs ensuring a team win.

However, it does seem that the Clan Battles system is bringing  more awareness to more players. 

[WJDC]
Members
1,207 posts
7,541 battles
Just now, francesabyss said:

Notser who is notser?

???

Sum guy...  runs into islands... 

• Funny 6

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Sum guy...  runs into islands... 

Yup ex navy dude lol hes funny :D .

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

I have to agree totally. I am sick of BBs behind the spawn area and turning at the first sign of a enemy ship. Sick of DDs who fear cap B.  B cap should be extra points IMO. Tonight I played both my DDs and BBs. Totally crapteams. DDs who cannot cap and when I play my DD BBs who sit in the back. Should just say screw it and play my Yamato and sit back and snipe, but I am not that type of player, so I force to help team and end up with bad results while these bad players sit back and farm damage while doing nothing to help team. 

• Boring 1

Members
309 posts

Exp allocation will never be nuanced enough. Until the robot overlords take over.

There are just too many actions that contribute to the game which are too context dependant to code a game to reward.

"Reward being close to a base"? You could easily be camping near a cap point, but not actually be contributing. Or, in a defending scenario, people could be rewarded for "defending" a safe base no one is attacking. Or, people just camping at bases to passively farm exp.

No matter what you do to try and add more "nuance", there will always be some way to minmax and game the system. This system would just end up endlessly adding new ribbons and conditions, and it would just end up being useless for being so cluttered and overwhelming.

Like it or not, "supporting a cap from long range" is something that does have a role. If no one is capping or supporting caps, then, well, the few players that do will automatically be rewarded for it, since their actions will lead to them winning more often.

• Cool 1

Members
1,857 posts
8,754 battles
2 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Lots of threads talking about XP/save your star.

Notser gives his views on XP in ranked, and gives suggestions.

He does a good job hitting the points a lot of us have been saying for over a year. Howeeer this effects Randoms as well as Ranked and it's not all about saving a star. The XP system rewards passive play and using your teammates as a human shield. It penalizes capping and playing the objective. One fix they could implement is adjust damaged based XP depending on your distance from the nearest objective.

• Cool 1

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
324 posts
4,652 battles

Back to Camping the cap.

points awarded for contesting - either they can't complete because you aren't sunk, or their shells are spanging uselessly off your hull, or your are engaging the enemy with torps planes shells and the ship's cat.

Additionally, spotting the guy on cap for someone to shoot shells at.

Resetting the cap (might be a thing already)

and finally, capping out the enemy cap before yours is theirs and/or stopping their points from accruing because you're on their cap.

If all of these aren't in the game now, then there should be some discussion.

Members
1,857 posts
8,754 battles
6 hours ago, cavscout1739 said:

stopping their points from accruing because you're on their cap.

If all of these aren't in the game now, then there should be some discussion.

Perfect example of something that is very helpful to the team, very risky, but earns you no points whatsoever.

Really great video just wish he hadn't put in the part about saving a star. That is a minor point. The real issue is this game gets worse every day because the wrong behavior is rewarded and the correct behavior is penalized.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,189 battles

The problem is that some of the things that ought to be rewarded are simply beyond the capacity of an AI to recognise and reward. If the automatic system could manage it, then bots would play that way and the expected win rate in co-op would be around 50%, not the 90%-plus that it is at the moment.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,189 battles
9 hours ago, francesabyss said:

Yup ex navy dude lol hes funny :D .

No, that's Jingles.

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,571 battles

I feel I am alone but my biggest problem is always players who die too early, not players who play too passively.

True that both type of extremes will cause you to lose game. But my experience is that the bigger problem is players who don't know how to survive.

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles
8 hours ago, intixw said:

"Reward being close to a base"? You could easily be camping near a cap point, but not actually be contributing. Or, in a defending scenario, people could be rewarded for "defending" a safe base no one is attacking. Or, people just camping at bases to passively farm exp.

Agreed. playing ranked in my BB I usually sit right on the edge of a cap we have taken with at lease two angles in support of team. Then I will move through cap in further support as game progresses. To take our cap I have to be destroyed.  

[WJDC]
Members
1,207 posts
7,541 battles

Is there.. .one video that goes over the BB problem, with examples of play styles and the different results they lead to??

If I could shout out in game "plz go to you tube and look up the xxyy video" it might ( ok who am I kidding?) help a bit.

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker

[TSN]
Members
68 posts
3,313 battles

With all of these videos being released more and more people are just trying to save their star from the beginning of the game. Ranked has not been fun lately..

[SEC_8]
Members
140 posts
3,483 battles

I am a pure dd player (look at my stats if you want) and find Ranked to be totally frustrating.  I haven't made it past tier 9 (I know- get gud).  The lack of xp for capping and playing the objectives have frustrated and turned me away from the season so bad that I have actually stopped playing WoWs for now.  I know WITHOUT A DOUBT that if I was playing a Hindy I would have ranked out already.  I really care about this game, but am taking a break.  I am a huge Tribes fan, so I am giving Midair a try.  I will be back next clan battles season I guess.  Here's hoping that they fix xp.

Edited by Torpin

[SCCC]
Members
208 posts
11,896 battles

In prior seasons you could grab a cap or two and do some damage and you would be in the running for top exp.  Now that the "fixed" it to damage only playing a DD just really isn't worth it.  For example, I just finished a game in my YY where I did 98K damage and solo capped three times only to lose my star to a Conq who was behind everyone slinging HE.  With an almost entirely damage based reward system, there is little reward for team play as several on every  team are trying to farm damage.  Ranked really sucks if you play to win this season.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

"Why are you pushing into the enemy with 2 caps?! "

My life story lol! I wish i had this on hotkey cause i type it way to much lol. 

[CAFE]
Members
1,395 posts
10,740 battles

There is actually a much easier way to fix the team player issue in ranked - Remove the save a star nonsense.

Want to damage farm in the back and not contribute? Then you are not advancing. Right now the true meta is rank out in the first week or be stuck with a bunch of people who have no idea what they are doing...

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I won't lie, taking away the save star is the easy fix. I remember the days when we didn't have it. *shivers*

I really hope they figure out a way to keep it. There can't be many that can say it didn't save their [edited]in a pinch st one point or another.

I could maybe see them allowing one for dmg, and another for playing the objectives. I just don't know if that would really change, "team play". It would at least let others have the benefit of saving a star, but I would think only DDs would really benefit from it.

Edited by Wulfgarn