You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigshinyboat

The Plight of the Henri

12 comments in this topic

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
14 posts
5,542 battles

In my most recent experiences, it seems far to many players just don't understand the Henri.

I've only been playing since the new year. And after playing around for a month or so joined a clan. They said they would like me to work up to the tier 10 French cruiser for Clan battles in the future, and I said sure thing, why not. Then when the ranked season started and I did pretty good in my Charles Martel, I got pretty excited. Used my free XP and the last of my credits and got the Henri, my first tier 10. It might have been a good idea to maybe research the ship a bit more, but it is what it is. And although some people love this boat, littlewhitemouse gave it GARBAGE

So, I slapped on some camo, put a three point Captain in and away I went. I think there's a reason you don't see too many Henri's in ranked. Well a lot of them. But every other battle there's someone telling me how to fight my ship in ways that might work for other cruisers, but not for Henri's.

So in the spirit of educating people about their abilities and expectations I thought it would pass what I've learned along

The bad

• It has no radar. So don't ask. It does have hydro at 4.92km though. Not the best for hunting DD's.
  • It has no smoke. Why even ask. Or planes for that matter.
  • It has slow turret rotation and slow rate of fire. I suspect the lowest DPM of any tier 10 cruiser.
  • You'll rarely be top exp because of that.
  • It has no armour, at least any that stops tier 10 shells. So please stop asking me to go in and tank.
  • It is fricking huge. So please don't ask me to scout ahead. There is no sneaking anywhere.
  • Not that it really matters, but it's torpedoes are pathetic.
  • Poor handling. Slow rudder shift. And bleeds a ton of speed when you use it.
  • And if you have to kite, you can only bring one turret to bear.
  • Seems like you're always a priority target.

The good

• It goes pretty fast! Well, in a straight line if you use engine boost anyway.
  • Good range and accuracy! 173m at 22.1 km is pretty respectable.
  • Starts a lot of fires @ 25%
  • AP is pretty respectable especially against other CV's, but if you're close enough for that to be working, you're probably eating a lot of shells yourself.
  • Angled at range, you can be hard to hit or damage.
  • And that's about it for the good.

The ugly ~ This ship just doesn't fit on the current meta and it's best at...

• Being be a priority target and distracting the enemy fleet, by either chipping away at them or flanking them. The trick is to make yourself a target, but live through the process. Any guns shooting at you aren't shooting at your friends. And that's a very good thing.

So next time you see someone in a Henri. Instead of reporting them for not playing the way you think they should. Give them a compliment for either having the balls to play something non-meta, or having the misfortune of it being their only tier 10

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,694 battles

So true. If I play a top tier cruiser in a Random match, it is DM which does a much better job of controlling space and can get better and more useful damage. If I get in HIV, I ask myself why I am not playing a BB, since I will put down far more damage in that.

But I stopped at Rank 8, playing Shim and tired of the constant radar. So bring HIV, it will be a welcome relief to the Ranked DD players.

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,254 battles

I have Henri and Khab, I find both of them to be a lot of work for what is achieved.

Id give Khab the edge over Henri due to its ability to hunt and kill DDs with RPF however it also occupies a DD slot.

Edited by Visidious

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,663 battles

I've been using the Gallisoniere as an island hugger, shooting over cover with those big american arcs.

Can anyone confirm if this works high tiers?

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,694 battles
15 hours ago, LukeV said:

I've been using the Gallisoniere as an island hugger, shooting over cover with those big american arcs.

Can anyone confirm if this works high tiers?

With DM yes, but not with Henri. DDs wont  be reluctant to approach a Henri with its low ROF and no radar. You also sacrifice its one advantage, speed (and that insane spaced armor) and its shell arcs are flatter...

With DM, you can flip on radar and the DD will lose half its health

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

The Henri is the anti-hindenburg and since there have been a ton of those in ranked it's actually pretty viable at the moment.

[SQUAD]
Members
4 posts
16,036 battles

Well to say it isn't tanky is a bit of a lie yes looking at the amour model in port it isn't great and it isn't bad but you gotta remember the little gimmick that is pretty much in the whole line is that spaced amour along the belt what you wanna do is bait shots into your broad side belt and hope it hits the middle that spaced amour acts sorta like a black hole and just eats shells for no damage taken.How i would use it in something like ranked its head out wide and wait for the enemy to show you them a good side shot (or even a slight side shot) then start to run away if they turn to face you its HE is annoying as all hell and its AP can just make a mess

Members
19 posts
1,503 battles
5 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

The Henri is the anti-hindenburg and since there have been a ton of those in ranked it's actually pretty viable at the moment.

While the meta (including the "must save star" part) gives a lot of hindies, if you want to go anti-hindy, you are a million times better off with a zao for that job, and the stealth will give you much more options to protect your DDs.

As some other people have indicated, I too have serious questions as to what the role of that ship is supposed to be. (although the AP on BB memes can be glorious)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles

Henri IV is best played at range with lots of open water to run around.  She needs to play at ranges where BBs have trouble hitting her.

If you try to play inside confined waters, short ranged fights, she falls apart.  The shorter the range, the large size, mediocre handling, protection scheme of Henri IV starts becoming negative factors.

If Henri IV needs to long range gun duel other high tier Cruisers, she's quite capable of doing that.

Also, Henri IV, IIRC, with DE and the 2 fire signal flags, gets to about 26% fire chance.  Abuse that.  The HE shells pack a wallop on top of that.