Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Schindlers_Stink_Fist

Game performance heads up for Nvidia users

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles

Hey all,

 

Been running tests with various Nvidia drivers, since, "keep your drivers updated!!" is always what people are told.

I play mostly Ships, DCS and Star Citizen and came across some interesting results with the latest Nvidia drivers. I've seen some folks here as well as in-game mention that their performance has dropped recently and the first thing many blame are the game updates. This may not be the case (at least for Nvidia users that been keeping their drivers updated). I noticed my performance never changes with each ship patch released so I started doing some digging as too why some people may be experiencing poor performance.

I tested the latest iteration of the Nvidia drivers with my 1070 TI and compared with the drivers I use now (388.00). I noticed that the latest (most recent) Nvidia driver yielded roughly a 20% - 30% LOSS in performance in ALL games tested. They made DCS and Star Citizen at Max graphics unplayable and dropped my FPS in ships from 100+ (I lock my framerate at my refresh of 100) to about 65 FPS. I tested this for 3 hours straight last night by installing the latest driver, testing,  then re-installing my current driver, testing then un-installing and re-installing the latest driver (doing a complete driver removal and running a defrag between each test). 

Every test yielded the same result. The latest Nvidia drivers had a tremendous affect on game performance in every game and on every test. 

So, if you are using the latest Nvidia drivers with your 1050ti/1070ti/1080ti/etc. videocard and experience game performance issues do yourself a favor and try the Nvidia 388.00 drivers (search for them on Google). There is literally no explanation other than the latest drivers being the culprit for game performance in this test. 

Hope this helps some people out! :)

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
727 posts
4,153 battles
1 minute ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Hey all,

 

Been running tests with various Nvidia drivers, since, "keep your drivers updated!!" is always what people are told.

I play mostly Ships, DCS and Star Citizen and came across some interesting results with the latest Nvidia drivers. I've seen some folks here as well as in-game mention that their performance has dropped recently and the first thing many blame are the game updates. This may not be the case (at least for Nvidia users that been keeping their drivers updated). I noticed my performance never changes with each ship patch released so I started doing some digging as too why some people may be experiencing poor performance.

I tested the latest iteration of the Nvidia drivers with my 1070 TI and compared with the drivers I use now (388.00). I noticed that the latest (most recent) Nvidia driver yielded roughly a 20% - 30% LOSS in performance in ALL games tested. They made DCS and Star Citizen at Max graphics unplayable and dropped my FPS in ships from 100+ (I lock my framerate at my refresh of 100) to about 65 FPS. I tested this for 3 hours straight last night by installing the latest driver, testing,  then re-installing my current driver, testing then un-installing and re-installing the latest driver (doing a complete driver removal and running a defrag between each test). 

Every test yielded the same result. The latest Nvidia drivers had a tremendous affect on game performance in every game and on every test. 

So, if you are using the latest Nvidia drivers with your 1050ti/1070ti/1080ti/etc. videocard and experience game performance issues do yourself a favor and try the Nvidia 388.00 drivers (search for them on Google). There is literally no explanation other than the latest drivers being the culprit for game performance in this test. 

Hope this helps some people out! :)

That's weird. I'm running a 1080TI and noticed no change. (Was actually 2FPS faster, but that's within the margin for error)

Have you attempted completely reinstalling GeForce experience and the latest drivers..?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,367
[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

Are you installing on top of the existing driver, or using the option to remove the old driver before installing the new one?  The latter is highly recommended.  So what if you have to reconfigure your profiles.

 

EDIT:  Nvm.  You sed you did.

 

 

 

Edited by Kuckoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles
25 minutes ago, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

That's weird. I'm running a 1080TI and noticed no change. (Was actually 2FPS faster, but that's within the margin for error)

Have you attempted completely reinstalling GeForce experience and the latest drivers..?
 

 

Yeah, I did complete fresh installs every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[833]
Members
3 posts
4,205 battles

Ive dropped from a solid 70 fps since the latest update of drivers (and of warships so i havent tested what is the culprit) but i found with aslains mod, locking the FPS to 50 stops screen freezes and general loss of control of my ship for a few brief seconds per game. Ive only noticed it in world of warships and 7 days to die, all other games seem to run fine 

 

Edit : Running a Nvidia GTX 970

Edited by Erima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
4,025 battles

And an obligatory warning for those of you using laptops with Nvidia cards built in:  You need your drivers from your laptop manufacturer, not straight from Nvidia as these cards are NOT the same as the video cards of the exact same model for desktop PC's.  There are differences in the drivers.

There's an outside chance this may be dated information, but it was certainly true for the last two laptops I've gotten with discrete video cards (meaning an actual separate video card as opposed to the Intel video hardware that is integrated into the laptop motherboard).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,270 battles

I experienced issues with one of the recent patches, it turned out to be a real issue with the game that had to be fixed and nothing to do with drivers.

Ive had very consistent FPS with all the nVidia drivers ive used and I keep them fairly up to date so I am not sure how to react to this thread as it seems contrary to my experience.

Edited by Visidious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,923 battles
2 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Hey all,

 

Been running tests with various Nvidia drivers, since, "keep your drivers updated!!" is always what people are told.

I play mostly Ships, DCS and Star Citizen and came across some interesting results with the latest Nvidia drivers. I've seen some folks here as well as in-game mention that their performance has dropped recently and the first thing many blame are the game updates. This may not be the case (at least for Nvidia users that been keeping their drivers updated). I noticed my performance never changes with each ship patch released so I started doing some digging as too why some people may be experiencing poor performance.

I tested the latest iteration of the Nvidia drivers with my 1070 TI and compared with the drivers I use now (388.00). I noticed that the latest (most recent) Nvidia driver yielded roughly a 20% - 30% LOSS in performance in ALL games tested. They made DCS and Star Citizen at Max graphics unplayable and dropped my FPS in ships from 100+ (I lock my framerate at my refresh of 100) to about 65 FPS. I tested this for 3 hours straight last night by installing the latest driver, testing,  then re-installing my current driver, testing then un-installing and re-installing the latest driver (doing a complete driver removal and running a defrag between each test). 

Every test yielded the same result. The latest Nvidia drivers had a tremendous affect on game performance in every game and on every test. 

So, if you are using the latest Nvidia drivers with your 1050ti/1070ti/1080ti/etc. videocard and experience game performance issues do yourself a favor and try the Nvidia 388.00 drivers (search for them on Google). There is literally no explanation other than the latest drivers being the culprit for game performance in this test. 

Hope this helps some people out! :)

 I have a 1080 Ti and update whenever there is a new driver . I just checked and I am getting the same 73 FPS ; give or take a frame or two ; as I have since I got the GPU in the beginning of March with the 75 Hz Monitor I got at the same time .

 :Smile_honoring: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,124 posts

I know when windows dropped 1803 on me my FPS is all over the place now. Used to run 120 stable now it dips to about 60's. It's like that gd fps bug is back. Every other game runs fine though but for ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
148
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
496 posts
3,658 battles
19 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

 I have a 1080 Ti and update whenever there is a new driver . I just checked and I am getting the same 73 FPS ; give or take a frame or two ; as I have since I got the GPU in the beginning of March with the 75 Hz Monitor I got at the same time .

 :Smile_honoring: 

Are u playing 4K?  Otherwise that FPS seems very low for a 1080ti.  Mine runs 3440p at 100fps solid, max graphics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

My screen goes black quite often, or I get booted after the prior WOWS patch. I haven't tried things out since the newest came out.

Wiped all drivers 3xs in safe mode with a program.

Installed latest driver, and the 2 prior drivers. 

Reinstalled WOWS without mods.

Checked memory.

Still having the same issue running on a 1060 6gb, a 1070 ti , and a 1080 ti. All of which I tested on different PCI slots.

Pretty sure it's the game since I have no issues running anything else, not to mention the extensive troubleshooting I've done. I slap gave up on the prior WOWS patch, but again I haven't tried to play since the newest came out.

If it means anything to anyone, the newest nvidia driver update will lower your hashrates for mining.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
671
[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Unless WG is optimising their graphics all the time with their patches, the new updates on your graphics, surpasses the actual game capabilities.  It's like putting a V8 in a mini, yes it will work, but it wont be very efficient

In saying this, there are times even with patches for your GPU, that in one way might not have it perform how it would normally, until you get the next update for it, and then there is the human error factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles
2 hours ago, missile742 said:

Are u playing 4K?  Otherwise that FPS seems very low for a 1080ti.  Mine runs 3440p at 100fps solid, max graphics

73 sounds right for 4k.

I get 75 at 4k with my 1080Ti (EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid, so slight factory OC). I have 32 GB of RAM and an i7-6800k, slightly overclocked to match the XMP profile of my RAM.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles
4 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Been running tests with various Nvidia drivers, since, "keep your drivers updated!!" is always what people are told.

For the most part true but I have a couple exceptions since I build all of my PCs.The newest graphic card drivers never seem to do well for me.  If I use them then I generally have to revert back a couple versions to get stability.  Chipset/motherboard drivers - I don't do them unless there is a known issue else if it works - I don't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,923 battles
12 hours ago, missile742 said:

Are u playing 4K?  Otherwise that FPS seems very low for a 1080ti.  Mine runs 3440p at 100fps solid, max graphics

I have a 75 Hz  27"  monitor so the best that it can be is 75 FPS  . 

  On another note ; USAF veteran myself ( Electronic Warfare TAC ) but was enlisted .  :Smile_honoring:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
532
[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,888 battles
16 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

I tested the latest iteration of the Nvidia drivers with my 1070 TI and compared with the drivers I use now (388.00). I noticed that the latest (most recent) Nvidia driver yielded roughly a 20% - 30% LOSS in performance in ALL games tested. They made DCS and Star Citizen at Max graphics unplayable and dropped my FPS in ships from 100+ (I lock my framerate at my refresh of 100) to about 65 FPS. I tested this for 3 hours straight last night by installing the latest driver, testing,  then re-installing my current driver, testing then un-installing and re-installing the latest driver (doing a complete driver removal and running a defrag between each test). 

Insights.. Since WOWS is more Processor heavy rather then video card heavy and to me this test is flawed because it only tests the video card on a Processor heavy game of WOWS. Questions

  1. Can you see if its a processor related problem ?Instead of a Video card issue?
  2. can you test only games that are Processor heavy instead of a mix of both?

I think a covered the basic parameters for a more accurate analysis. I will keep an eye out during my game play of anything out of the ordinary, Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
16 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

My screen goes black quite often, or I get booted after the prior WOWS patch. I haven't tried things out since the newest came out.

Wiped all drivers 3xs in safe mode with a program.

Installed latest driver, and the 2 prior drivers. 

Reinstalled WOWS without mods.

Checked memory.

Still having the same issue running on a 1060 6gb, a 1070 ti , and a 1080 ti. All of which I tested on different PCI slots.

Pretty sure it's the game since I have no issues running anything else, not to mention the extensive troubleshooting I've done. I slap gave up on the prior WOWS patch, but again I haven't tried to play since the newest came out.

If it means anything to anyone, the newest nvidia driver update will lower your hashrates for mining.

So, I ran a few battles today. The recent WOWS patch seems to have stopped my issue atm.

I will say that you were right OP, it's choppy as hell. I'm still running the newest drivers, and I've seen dips down into the 30's. Long drawn out dips where it takes 2 or 3 seconds to catch back up. Pretty weird.

Most of my time has been spent In operations though.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles

Forgot my specs and settings. If your game is running "ok" it may be worth checking out the 388.00 for better performance just in case. The 388.00's have been rock solid for me since they came out (they also work amazing for VR in DCS if anybody else plays that game).

 

Hope this helps!

 

Game Settings

3440 x 1440

Max Settings

100 FPS locked (via config edit)

 

PC Specs

i7-920 @ 4 ghz

12 GB Ram

250 GB SSD / 640 GB HD / 1 TB HD

Evga GTX 1070 TI (Driver Revision 388.00)

ASUS ROG PG348Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles

I'm running 391.35. No frame rate problems with anything atm, and Oculus plays Elite:Dangerous and DCS just fine.

(Although for some reason the system won't recognize that Oculus is attached until I open up (first) the Oculus software and (second) the nVidia control panel. Once I do that, everything works properly.)

 

My system setup: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6311884

(more or less. It's close, though there are a couple of minor changes. 2 more Samsung 850 EVOs, some external drives, couple other things.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

Video cards are currently CPU locked when talking framerates, till Intel/AMD release something actually faster or game developers start making more use of multi-core chips, you are only going to get so much performance out of the GPU in most scenarios.

Check for stuff that might be using up CPU if you are having framerate problems.  Updated drivers or bloatware that comes with them could be the culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×