You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF8] KingCakeBaby
963 posts
4,237 battles

I really wanted to wait and see if Pigeon was going to bring back rewards for visiting museum ships, but my groupon was running out. So I went to visit the USS Hornet yesterday and had a pretty interesting trip, including a behind the scenes tour from a surprisingly generous and knowledgeable docent. I took some pictures in glorious 4k resolution if anyone is interested in seeing them (Except of the restricted areas. I didn't want to push my luck). The album can be viewed here.

I also went to the USS Iowa back in December. If anyone is interested in those they can be found here.

• Cool 2

58 posts
6,086 battles
Posted (edited)

Could pull up the Iowa pictures, but the Hornet ones say you have to be signed in for.

Cool pics of the Iowa though

Edited by chrisope

[STW-D] Avenge_December_7
1,697 posts
5,594 battles

52 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I really wanted to wait and see if Pigeon was going to bring back rewards for visiting museum ships, but my groupon was running out. So I went to visit the USS Hornet yesterday and had a pretty interesting trip, including a behind the scenes tour from a surprisingly generous and knowledgeable docent. I took some pictures in glorious 4k resolution if anyone is interested in seeing them (Except of the restricted areas. I didn't want to push my luck). The album can be viewed here.

I also went to the USS Iowa back in December. If anyone is interested in those they can be found here.

How interesting!

I work on the Hornet every other week for Saturday overnight programs. I hope you enjoyed your time there!

Why not stay overnight on the one of the most haunted ship in America, if you dare :Smile_ohmy:.

[WOLF8] KingCakeBaby
963 posts
4,237 battles
42 minutes ago, chrisope said:

Could pull up the Iowa pictures, but the Hornet ones say you have to be signed in for.

Cool pics of the Iowa though

Sorry. Should be fixed now.

[WOLF8] KingCakeBaby
963 posts
4,237 battles
38 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

How interesting!

I work on the Hornet every other week for Saturday overnight programs. I hope you enjoyed your time there!

Why not stay overnight on the one of the most haunted ship in America, if you dare :Smile_ohmy:.

If I lived closer I would happily volunteer all the free time I could spare. Unfortunately I'm in the Monterey area so that's not in the cards. Sadly the ships is looking a little rough these days. I was told that all of the paint and sealant necessary to give her a fresh new face had been donated (in fact I believe that is what is currently being stored in the midship elevator in one of my pictures), however they're having a hell of a time finding the sheer amount of volunteers needed to undertake the makeover. He also said that all of the old paint would have to be chipped away and accounted for, or the EPA would have a field day.

Hey @Pigeon_of_War, would it be possible to host some sort of community day (or week) in association with the USS Hornet museum? Maybe we can drum up enough volunteers looking to experience firsthand the finer points of naval life with chipping, or failing that maybe generate some much needed funds for the ship. 

1,697 posts
5,594 battles
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

If I lived closer I would happily volunteer all the free time I could spare. Unfortunately I'm in the Monterey area so that's not in the cards. Sadly the ships is looking a little rough these days. I was told that all of the paint and sealant necessary to give her a fresh new face had been donated (in fact I believe that is what is currently being stored in the midship elevator in one of my pictures), however they're having a hell of a time finding the sheer amount of volunteers needed to undertake the makeover. He also said that all of the old paint would have to be chipped away and accounted for, or the EPA would have a field day.

Hey @Pigeon_of_War, would it be possible to host some sort of community day (or week) in association with the USS Hornet museum? Maybe we can drum up enough volunteers looking to experience firsthand the finer points of naval life with chipping, or failing that maybe generate some much needed funds for the ship. 

Not to mention that the flight elevator, which they used to give rides up to and from the flight deck on, is currently inoperable. The ship could use some love, as could a lot of other museum ships.

[WOLF8] KingCakeBaby
963 posts
4,237 battles

Except the Midway, which has a historically accurate Starbucks.

• Funny 1

[ICOP] Amracil
[ICOP]
690 posts
11,408 battles
Posted (edited)

Great pictures! Looks like they have some new things to see. Me and another Scout leader took a group of Scouts for the overnight twelve years or so ago. They were also able to get their Aviation Merit Badge as there were some naval aviators that gave an approved lecture/class when we were there. The spooky stories in a dark ships hold, flashlights the only light, was something the boys really loved. And being able to sleep in the bunks, though some complained at the time, was something they all remember to this day. There were games in the hangar, lots of exhibits, and we also had the benefit of an excellent docent who told us a lot of detail we might never have otherwise known. Thanks for sharing!

Am

Edited by Amracil

1,697 posts
5,594 battles
Just now, KingCakeBaby said:

Except the Midway, which has a historically accurate Starbucks.

Obviously the best museum ship, solely based on this factor (from what I've heard, navy personnel love their coffee)

1,697 posts
5,594 battles
Just now, Amracil said:

Great pictures! Looks like they have some new things to see. Me and another Scout leader took a group of Scouts for the overnight. They were also able to get their Aviation Merit Badge as there were some naval aviators that gave an approved lecture/class when we were there. The spooky stories in a dark ships hold, flashlights the only light, was something the boys really loved. And being able to sleep in the bunks, though some complained at the time, was something they all remember to this day. There were games in the hangar, lots of exhibits, and we also had the benefit of an excellent docent who told us a lot of detail we might never have otherwise known. Thanks for sharing!

Am

Might I ask when you guys did the overnight? I was working the overnight on May 5.

[ICOP] Amracil
[ICOP]
690 posts
11,408 battles
Just now, Avenge_December_7 said:

Might I ask when you guys did the overnight? I was working the overnight on May 5.

Just edited the post with that info, but too late! It was about twelve years ago, brother.

1,697 posts
5,594 battles
1 minute ago, Amracil said:

Just edited the post with that info, but too late! It was about twelve years ago, brother.

Ah, that's too bad.

Yeesh, I feel young conversing with all of you when I'm still learning how to drive.

58 posts
6,086 battles
2 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Sorry. Should be fixed now.

Thanks!  Great pictures for both ships!

[WOLF8] drover_pro
3 posts
1,739 battles

Awesome Pictures! I envy the day when I can go to these museums. Thanks for the Pictures!

1,542 posts
26 battles

Great photos @KingCakeBaby. You can really see the scale of her from the cars parked outside. It's great to see her so looked after. I remember watching a show with two guys staying overnight in her (they were paranormal investigators) and the ship scared the bejesus out of them!

2 posts
53 battles

I Wish that WG would add the USS Hornet into the game, i bet it would make a great t9 or t8 premium CV. Nice pictures also!

[WOLFB] misanthrope0
689 posts
5,041 battles

Where you located at? I have been to the IOWA class BB in NJ and the IOWA class BB in Norfolk as well as the North Carolina in Wilmington. Would love to see an Aircraft Carrier but don't think there are any a reasonable distance to see.

[WOLF8] HamptonRoads
[WOLF8]
372 posts
12,197 battles
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, misanthrope0 said:

Where you located at? I have been to the IOWA class BB in NJ and the IOWA class BB in Norfolk as well as the North Carolina in Wilmington. Would love to see an Aircraft Carrier but don't think there are any a reasonable distance to see.

I'm guessing that you are in/around the mid Atlantic area (based on which ships you've visited.)  Intrepid in New York harbor, and Yorktown in Patriot's Point (near Charleston,) SC would be the closest carriers.  Not sure what constitutes "reasonable distance." 

Edited by HamptonRoads

[CUTIE] Dictonary
1,721 posts
2,547 battles
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I'm guessing that you are in/around the mid Atlantic area (based on which ships you've visited.)  Intrepid in New York harbor, and Hornet in Patriot's Point (near Charleston,) SC would be the closest carriers.  Not sure what constitutes "reasonable distance." 

Do you mean Yorktown? Hornet is all the way in Alameda, California. 

Edited by Dictonary

[WOLF8] HamptonRoads
[WOLF8]
372 posts
12,197 battles
1 minute ago, Dictonary said:

Thanks.  Editing now.

[CUTIE] Dictonary
1,721 posts
2,547 battles
Just now, HamptonRoads said:

Thanks.  Editing now.

No problem.

[WOLFB] misanthrope0
689 posts
5,041 battles
25 minutes ago, Dictonary said:

Day's round trip drive of 12 hours both of those are pushing past that. Or take a long weekend trip not really interested in short vacation in New York might be amenable to one in Charleston SC.