Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Poharan

Looking for tips on the Kirov.

23 comments in this topic

Members
142 posts

Like the title says, I'm looking for some suggestions on how to do better in the Kirov.

The guns are great, no issue there, but I'm having trouble with the survivability aspect of play.

In my experience, some cruisers have high shell arcs that allow hiding behind islands, some cruisers have maneuverability and/or small size that allows them to wiggle to minimize damage, and some have enough armor that they can at least mitigate some damage. Kirov doesn't really seem to have any of these characteristics. 

Best it seems to have is good top speed and decent range, so I've been trying to play to these, but it really hasn't been working out, so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

How do I not get focus fired with HE spam in this tub? Or at least how do I minimize damage taken? 

Members
10 posts
6,684 battles

Kirov was a frustrating boat for me to work past. My suggestion would be to play it as a long range sniper. Equip your upgraded spotting plane (and the spotting plane upgrade if you have it). Stay at long range and rain HE. Stick close to BBs and make sure they are the focused target before raining down fire. All that being said the armor on the Kirov makes her a glass cannon and citadels are going to happen. Mitigate that by keeping yourself angled when you have attracted attention. Don't worry, it gets better. I'm currently playing the Shchors and I'm much happier with it's performance.

• Cool 1

[OPEC]
Members
943 posts
5,108 battles

I play the Molotov quite a bit and it is the same squishy hull as the Kirov one tier higher.  You can have great games in these boats or take a complete beating.  A few things I try to practice...

1) Situational awareness through the minimap and use of the captain skill Primary Target is key. 

2) When you are in the open, keep moving and changing your angle for those folks shooting at you, as well as waiting to turn away from pressure until after you have been fired upon (so you don't give a full broadside target when they have loaded guns).  Best to stay at least 10km plus out in the open, too!

3) Use terrain to your advantage when you can.  The gun arcs are not high, but you can still find spots that you can shoot over islands (of the ends of islands) to temporarily minimize your exposure.

4) Go dark or get lost in the crowd!  When you have multiple ships shooting at you, don't be afraid to hold fire for 20 seconds and go dark (undetected) for a minute or two so you can reposition in a safer spot.  You can also steer your boat behind a teammate like a BB to take the heat off of you and pass it to a ship that can take fire a lot easier than you.

Hope that helps!

• Cool 2

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
18 minutes ago, Poharan said:

Like the title says, I'm looking for some suggestions on how to do better in the Kirov.

The guns are great, no issue there, but I'm having trouble with the survivability aspect of play.

In my experience, some cruisers have high shell arcs that allow hiding behind islands, some cruisers have maneuverability and/or small size that allows them to wiggle to minimize damage, and some have enough armor that they can at least mitigate some damage. Kirov doesn't really seem to have any of these characteristics. 

Best it seems to have is good top speed and decent range, so I've been trying to play to these, but it really hasn't been working out, so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

How do I not get focus fired with HE spam in this tub? Or at least how do I minimize damage taken? 

I LOVE the Kirov it is a MONSTER at T-5. I have a 67% win rate and a 1700 WTR in her. First tip, NEVER be the tip of the spear the Kirov is a glass cannon treat her as such. Second tip, always have a few ships in front of you when shooting at the enemy, preferably battleships. People will have a tendency to ignore you and focus on battleships. Third tip, the Kirov has good turret angles, I am always kiting away or closing on a target when I am shooting. I NEVER fire while I am broadside, I will use my concealment to stay dark until my ship is in the proper position to shoot. Fourth tip punish cruisers and destroyers with AP and citadel the crap out of them. IGNORE battleships unless firing from behind an island undetected. Properly angled you can eat a lot of cruiser and destroyer shells. If you draw the attention of a battleship it will be a short game. Fifth tip, once the cruisers and destroyers have been eliminated, move onto the battleships. Pick a target that is being shot at by a few targets and fire at them, chances are they will ignore you to focus on the biggest perceived threat, the other battleship shooting at them.

[ASHIP]
Members
594 posts
5,291 battles

I absolutely loved the Kirov; if you use AP the guns are as good as on the Russian tier 9. No joke. I don't even think there's any downsides- they're nearly as fast firing and actually has slightly better dispersion (at least according to the wiki). What this means is that if you can use island cover to avoid engaging BBs you can absolutely wreck any cruisers you come across. At tier 5, people are still inexperienced enough to give you large, juicy broadsides; giving an experienced CA captain plenty of opportunities to wreck house. I usually like to push the B cap; taking positions the enemy won't expect me to be at and then catching them when they come around islands.

However, that kind of play style does require a lot of luck, experience and patience with short matches. A more 'reasonable' playstyle (and probably more successful overall) would have you using the speed of the Kirov in conjunction with the high shell velocity to push around the map border. The key is to never be the closest to the enemy, never be the highest threat to the enemy, and generally never present yourself as the best target to the enemy. If you want to avoid pushing the enemy you take a longer route around, and if the enemy doesn't put up much resistance you simply sail into the cap directly. All the while you rain down your HE and monster AP from long range. Don't be afraid to use the AP by the way- even at long ranges.

Edited by senseNOTmade

[PVE]
Members
506 posts
4,316 battles

I haven't gotten there on that line yet, but in Molotov I find success in using island cover. My trick is to not be stationary but to turn back away from the edge of an island and shoot over my shoulder while moving at 1/4 speed. Being moving is important so you can turn fully behind the island if too many reds start pointing their guns at you. That has been the difference for me in losing 1/4 of my health from a surprise salvo instead of losing 3/4 or all of my health.

[PLPT]
Members
624 posts
6,788 battles
2 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I haven't gotten there on that line yet, but in Molotov I find success in using island cover. My trick is to not be stationary but to turn back away from the edge of an island and shoot over my shoulder while moving at 1/4 speed. Being moving is important so you can turn fully behind the island if too many reds start pointing their guns at you. That has been the difference for me in losing 1/4 of my health from a surprise salvo instead of losing 3/4 or all of my health.

This is true for most boats, especially cruisers.  I use 1/4 speed as “lurk without stopping.”  Like you said, it maintains a bit of maneuverability without speeding you out of position.

[SYN]
Members
4,541 posts
11,437 battles
1 hour ago, Poharan said:

Everyone has issues with the Kirov's survivability, lol.

Kirov is a hard ship to do well in.  It's downright punishing for new players, and challenging even for experienced players.  It's one of the reasons why you don't see it very often.

You want to stay back and snipe with the Kirov - your guns allow you do that.  Try to keep the minimum number of ships in range that can potentially fire back at you.  This means you'll need to keep the minimum number of ships within you own gunnery range as well.  Preferably one at a time.  Pay very close attention to what's happening on the minimap.  Always go around a flank and keep threats to one side of the boat, and at a distance.  Never put yourself in a position where you could be fired at from both sides - doing so means turning to avoid fire from one threat puts you broadside to another, and you obviously don't want to do that.

Also, you need to stay with the herd in the Kirov.  No soloing at the start of matches and charging ahead of everyone else.  Go with the herd and lend gunnery support.  Make sure you're behind everyone, not ahead of them, so that others get shot at and not just you.  Blend in.  Don't stand out.  You have neither the RoF or survivability to adequately deal with being focused.

NO ISLAND HUMPING in the Kirov.  She is not the boat for this.  Also, never stop moving.  Go full speed at the start, and stay at full speed.  Don't forget to use the WASD hack, not only for avoiding torpedoes but to make yourself that much harder to hit in general.

Kirov is strictly a support ship.  Survive into the late match, when the teams are thinned out and the environment isn't as dangerous, then you can be adventurous and play more aggressively.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, delp5117 said:

I play the Molotov quite a bit and it is the same squishy hull as the Kirov one tier higher.  You can have great games in these boats or take a complete beating.  A few things I try to practice...

1) Situational awareness through the minimap and use of the captain skill Primary Target is key. 

2) When you are in the open, keep moving and changing your angle for those folks shooting at you, as well as waiting to turn away from pressure until after you have been fired upon (so you don't give a full broadside target when they have loaded guns).  Best to stay at least 10km plus out in the open, too!

3) Use terrain to your advantage when you can.  The gun arcs are not high, but you can still find spots that you can shoot over islands (of the ends of islands) to temporarily minimize your exposure.

4) Go dark or get lost in the crowd!  When you have multiple ships shooting at you, don't be afraid to hold fire for 20 seconds and go dark (undetected) for a minute or two so you can reposition in a safer spot.  You can also steer your boat behind a teammate like a BB to take the heat off of you and pass it to a ship that can take fire a lot easier than you.

Hope that helps!

pretty much this ^  

Head on a swivel.  Use your mini-map to enhance your situational awareness.  Don't sail in straight lines.  Take advantage of your flat trajectory guns.  Yeah, you may not be able to do indirect fire from behind terrain ala lazy arc USN cruisers guns.  But you don't have as much Kentucky Wind-age involved with your deflection and lead predictions relative to higher arc CA\CLs guns.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt

Members
66 posts
2,037 battles

Stay at medium-long range of the target. The artillery, dispersion and the excelent munition allowed that. Use of torpedos as last resource. Move, move and change always of heading. Dont engage BB alone and became the main target of the enemy. This rules are applicable for all three ships of the family, Kirov, Molotov and Budyonny.   

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,563 battles

I play my Kirov as a long range sniper, and have great success with it. It outranges most tier 5 and 6 cruisers, and even some tier 5 BB's. they can see you shooting at them... but some of them cant shoot back, and the ones that can wont be able to hit you going 35 knots at 16 km. Also remember you have HUGE cruiser guns for T5, at 180mm, so if you see a broadside cruiser switch to that AP and let the hurt flow. If you get cornered somehow, you have torps as a last resort, but if you play your kiting and sniping from long range game right, you shouldn't need them. It's a glass cannon, but it is a narrow ship hard to hit at range while maneuvering, let the guns sing from afar and don't give the enemy a chance to return fire, and Kirov will beast feast on any poor red who gets detected within your range ( which, once again, is 3 KM greater than cruisers of the same tier about, remember that)

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,590 battles
1 hour ago, Poharan said:

You abuse the super-unicum strat of Kiting.  The Kirov is absurdly powerful if you abuse it's guns, and kiting is the most effective way to do that.  

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,563 battles

Like I mentioned in my previous post, snipe and kite, and kite and snipe! Fun and games for all, especially them red Leroy Jenkins'!

2018-05-14.png

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

And yet if anyone looks sideways at this ship it evaporates like a fart in the wind. I've played DD's with better durability.

[SIDE]
Members
1,405 posts

Don’t get shot.

shoot reds a lot.

dont get focused

don’t get too close

never ever ever never ever show your side.

Members
40 posts
5,024 battles
16 hours ago, Poharan said:

I have kirov and molotov.They can fight the other cruisers but you have to keep your distance from the battleship.The turning radius is wide so time your turning.I sunk several of them in 1 salvo with my Fuso.

[4HIM]
Members
1,790 posts
4,030 battles

Kirov is a paper bote with little to no armor.  As others have said, NEVER be the tip of the spear, especially at the start of the games.  It makes it really difficult when your friendly DD is AFK or late in loading.  In my experience with the Kirov, I either died early or had a really good game.  For the first few minutes, focus on surviving rather than shooting.  Only take shots if it's a one on one matchup.  Holding your fire for the right shot early in the match is difficult as you want to be contributing.  But having those guns in the game AFTER the initial contact/fire fight will help your team win.  Try to stay back somewhere between the friendly cruisers and BB's.  It's a second line cruiser.  You use islands to hide from ships so that you're only facing one at a time.  Focus the one ship and take it out.  Go dark and seek out another one on one.  If you see two red ships, don't fire unless at least one is a BB with its guns pointed the other way.  And remember, while you have good guns, the enemy cruiser can likely get off two salvos before you get reloaded.  They may not have guns that can do heavy damage, but they'll get a lot more shots in the air than you can.  

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles
On 5/14/2018 at 1:44 PM, Poharan said:

She is an interesting ship.  First, I don't want to disagree with Noster but you DO want the A hull and the spotter plane.  It gives you a unique view of the battlefield.  I can't remember the vid where I learned this trick, but type "how to play the Kirov in Wold of Warships" and it will come up.  Also (and this is a biggie), when your in this ship, angle your nose into the fire.  She is unique in that you do tend to sail in straight lines.  Lots of WS and not so much AD.  NEVER ever get caught alone.  Your job is to use your guns long range and damage ship sand let your team finish them off.  If you have to turn and kite, time it so there isn't anyone aiming at you when you make that move.

She is a challenge and you will never be top of your team, but she does her job in the right hands.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

First things first: You MUST initiate each battle with a ritual "Kirov reporting!" in all-chat as an offering to Comrade Stalin. In doing so you will ensure that he reaches up from the bowels of hell to guide your shells to all targets, especially filthy capitalists.

Now, jokes aside, your best course of action is to hang back and focus on either burning down BBs at range or punching holes in your fellow cruisers with AP. Kite people to keep them at a distance so that your excellent range can be your armor. Kirov turns like a freight train, so don't think you're going to out-dance anyone up close. Also: Forget those torps exist. If you find yourself having to use them something has gone terribly wrong. Speed, gunnery, and range. That is the credo that a Russian cruiser lives and dies by. Don't get caught alone, play as support, and help your allies secure glorious win for Motherland!

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,159 battles

Kirov and Molotov are sister ships.  They also have the poorest armor in the game.  It's a Swiss cheese, Charmin composite and the only ship you can actually have a chance against is anothe Kirov or Molotov, and you have hit them first.  

I am sorry I bought Molotov, but I needed a Russian ship on a 1 million damage mission when I first started and it was the only Russian Premium I could afford.  

I will say this, she is a beautiful ship.  But it's appeal ends there.  

[BBICT]
Members
3,366 posts
3,558 battles

I have had a very complicated relationship with the Kirov. I almost quit the game because of her. I did everything the people above said not to do...I would get seen first, yolo guns blazing, etc etc, and get my :etc_swear: kicked again and again. 

It took me a long time to figure her out, but it was well worth it, as she made me a MUCH better CA driver. If you can figure her out, you will be good with the rest of the Russian CA line, or most of the other ones as well. 

Up until last week I had my only Kraken in her. The strange thing about that game was I did everything wrong, LOL. It was lost, so I went full Y O L O!!! mode, and was just trying to go out in a blaze of glory...I even got two of the kills with the torps, which are only good for full banzai stuff. One was a Fuso, that I guess forget about me, even after I typed "Witness me!!" in chat. 

Good luck with her, she is one of my favorites. 

[AK-47]
Members
139 posts
2,369 battles

Most of the Russian ships are "glass cannon"... I free exp passed the Kirov after several battles, really not sure how to play the ship.

The ships tends to eat citadel hit even u angled the ship. The plunging fire fire from BBs have a good chance pass right through the deck and citadel u.... So it is better to keep distance from all BBs and kite.

I am now at T6 Budyonny, which has been considered a pretty solid ship in Russian line since it has some armor around the citadel. However, it still have the same issue that appears on Kirov, the citadel is too high and those armor won't protect u from BB. Most of the armor can be overmatched by BBs and u still eats citadel when angled, but not that many compare to Kirov... The armor only improved against CAs.

I think it is a trend in Russian line, since most of the ships have a "huge" above water citadel.

Just got enough exp to T7 Shchors.... not really sure if I really want to grind that ship.... it has 75mm citadel armor, at T7, it is pretty much the same as Kirov...

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,893 battles
On 5/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, Kuckoo said:

Don't forget to use the WASD hack

WS yes. AD ONLY when you can get away with it.  I have this strange affinity with this ship.  I'm a dd main and the even the cruisers that I have are the USN and IJN lines.  I don't even play the Russian dds.

There is just something about this ship that I want to do well in him (remember, Russian ships are "He").  I keep playing him and getting better as I do.  Here are a few pointers:

1) NEVER be the point of the spear

2) It take a few games to get used to, but the A hull with the spotter plane is the way to play him

3) Get used to sailing in W-S and ONLY turn when you are sure that there isn't a ship out there that can take a shot at you broadside as you are turning

4) Stay close to a BB teammate as much as possible

Good luck.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:44 PM, Poharan said:

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to do better in the Kirov

JUst play him more.  He is a frustrating ship so play in Coop or in the Training Room with friends.  Play in a safe space until you feel like you can hold your own.  THEN try a RAndom fight.

Sign in to follow this