You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

Public Service Message: Torpedoes

36 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

I was out in my St Louis last night and we had a pink Wicks take a really stupid shot, probably how he got pink in the first place, and he hit a friendly V-170 and blew himself up. Of course he blamed the V-170 for changing course.

The message here is when you fire your torpedoes if they cannot clear friendly ships no matter how they maneuver don't fire! You own your ordnance until it expires.

• Cool 8

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

You own your ordnance until it expires.

And for several games after if you :etc_swear: things up.

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And for several games after if you :etc_swear: things up.

Yep, mistakes do happen but we have to own up that we made that mistake. I have made them more than a few times and every one was MY fault.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Failing to account for friendly maneuvering when firing torpedoes that have a 5 km range is a stunning lack of foresight.

• Cool 2

Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was out in my St Louis last night and we had a pink Wicks take a really stupid shot, probably how he got pink in the first place, and he hit a friendly V-170 and blew himself up. Of course he blamed the V-170 for changing course.

The message here is when you fire your torpedoes if they cannot clear friendly ships no matter how they maneuver don't fire! You own your ordnance until it expires.

But you also get the guys that are adamant that it is on you to avoid their friendly torps! I got into it awhile back with one of these types. Basically his position was he would fire torps and you just better be aware/alert cause it's not his fault if they hit you....even if he is behind you. 

Edited by dmckay

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles

Rule 1: If you're going to do risky things with your torps, better be on voice comms. There just isn't time AFTER you fire to type out the warning and be sure it was received. I have shot across allies' bows safely before, but we were both in the same smoke and I warned my ally that I'd be torping as soon as the enemy ship closed within X kilometres. Warning was acknowledged before I pulled the trigger and it all ended well for my ally and me.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Rule 1: If you're going to do risky things with your torps, better be on voice comms. There just isn't time AFTER you fire to type out the warning and be sure it was received.

Even then you are not 100% safe. I once missed taking down my division mate when we were on Teamspeak. I told him I was firing at a certain ship, he acknowledged, I fired, and he immediately turned to go after the target my torps were meant for. I only avoided going pink because he was destroyed this >< long before my torps hit. He is a pretty good player and what he did was out of character but if I had collected him it would still have been my fault.

[FOG]
Members
329 posts
4,845 battles

An ever growing problem I am encountering in Coop battles are people not paying attention to friendly ships on the other side of the enemy target and importantly well beyond the enemy ship. This is really becoming a problem in the lower tiers for players who have poorly maneuverable ships who may get hit (as I have been the last couple of battles) or need to expose a vulnerable broadside to avoid these wayward torps. There seems to be the desire on the part of these players to simply get damage although it may be obvious that there is a good chance that a friendly may be also hit.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,859 battles
23 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Failing to account for friendly maneuvering when firing torpedoes that have a 5 km range is a stunning lack of foresight.

They need to be put in charge of a cargo ship carrying rubber dog turds out of Hong Kong as punishment....hehehehehe

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[TBW]
Members
6,421 posts
12,071 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yep, mistakes do happen but we have to own up that we made that mistake. I have made them more than a few times and every one was MY fault.

Some might not have been my fault but they were my responsibility.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,284 battles
3 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

An ever growing problem I am encountering in Coop battles are people not paying attention to friendly ships on the other side of the enemy target and importantly well beyond the enemy ship. This is really becoming a problem in the lower tiers for players who have poorly maneuverable ships who may get hit (as I have been the last couple of battles) or need to expose a vulnerable broadside to avoid these wayward torps. There seems to be the desire on the part of these players to simply get damage although it may be obvious that there is a good chance that a friendly may be also hit.

In lower tier coop games, you'll get plenty of new players who are not used to firing their guns and torps at longer distances so what they ended up doing is to sail right next to the enemy bot and trade broadsides with it until one of them is dead.  Or, they will do a suicide charge against the ship, launch torps and ram if they miss.  If you play like a regular veteran player, it will be difficult to launch torps.

So when progressing through my British cruiser line at lower tiers, I simply stopped caring about friendly ships and just sank both the friendly player and enemy bot alike.  The penalty is to restrict you to playing coop games only and it didn't matter, because I was playing coop games only anyway and there are not tier 1 to 5 scenarios to play in.

By tier 6 you'll get less of these, and only once a while will you hit a friendly player.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
6 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

So when progressing through my British cruiser line at lower tiers, I simply stopped caring about friendly ships and just sank both the friendly player and enemy bot alike.  The penalty is to restrict you to playing coop games only and it didn't matter, because I was playing coop games only anyway and there are not tier 1 to 5 scenarios to play in.

Sink enough friendlies these days and I think you eventually get permabanned, don't you?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

I will not lie, I have shot torps to intentionally inflict damage or kill a (I will not say team member under protest of the reason as of why I shot torps at them), and those people I had no issue clicking the button.

However I really feel bad when I have hit people accidentally, the most recent was a BB who popped out from behind an island 11.9 km from me, the torps that missed the red yammy went past and collected him before they ran out.  He wasn't bothered as I tried to warn and I apologised, ( he was glad I killed the yammy)

The thing is, there are accidents, they maybe stupid ones, but most are accidents, so when I am asked why I am pink, my reply is, it was not from being AFK.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
53 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yes this is so true, this morning while in my Alabama I was fighting (up close) two bot Bamas - bow on, then someone shoots torpedoes in this close battle, so I had some choices to make, I could turn to starboard and expose my broadside to one of the other Bamas, or turn to port and cut between the two Bamas let them BOTH shoot at my broadsides.

Or I could take the torps, which I did do. BUT why shoot them in to a close battle like that? Why take the chance of hitting you teammate?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
2 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Or I could take the torps, which I did do

I  am glad you took those torps, and I hope you made him pink, that will be a good lesson if they did not know.

• Boring 1

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
275 posts
3,719 battles

Last 2 timesz i pinked were ca coming from behind while i was timing firing torps to clear islands. Both of us tunnel visioned both aplogized and me pink for 2 battles.

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,284 battles
27 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sink enough friendlies these days and I think you eventually get permabanned, don't you?

I don't do it on purpose of course, for me, it'll be like a couple of games with no team killing, then a game (or two, became orange a couple of times....) where I sank a friendly.  The system is pretty lenient from what I can tell, so long as you don't join a game with the specific purpose of attacking friendly ships, they won't do much to you.

So even if you launch torps without a care, you might stay pink for a while and might die a few times when you hit friendlies while pink, overall you'll be fine.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
1 minute ago, bigbearbeear said:

I don't do it on purpose of course, for me, it'll be like a couple of games with no team killing, then a game (or two, became orange a couple of times....) where I sank a friendly.  The system is pretty lenient from what I can tell, so long as you don't join a game with the specific purpose of attacking friendly ships, they won't do much to you.

So even if you launch torps without a care, you might stay pink for a while and might die a few times when you hit friendlies while pink, overall you'll be fine.

No offence, but if I see you in game I will be careful to try to keep several landmasses between us if at all possible. I would prefer my death to be at the hands of the other side, thank you very much, and I do not approve of your cavalier attitude to teamkilling.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Is there a statistic that shows how many times a player has deleted a team mate?

I miss a lot of damage (so what) because I hold fire if I even think that torps might hit some one. When I first stated playing the game I think I nailed a couple of teammates with FF torps. Quit playing DD's after that until say a month or two ago. Thought I would go learn a bit (yea I learned a little) before I took up trying to learn DD's. My torps are my fault. :etc_swear:sometimes I even get blamed by the red that I just took out.

I almost never use the torps on cruisers.

Edited by InventedThought

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
17 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I  am glad you took those torps, and I hope you made him pink, that will be a good lesson if they did not know.

Well I would of preferred if it had not happen at all. And some players who do not come on the forums do not know (or care maybe). I saw on a different game a BB player and DD player get into verbal assault in chat because the DD felt the BB should of gotten out of the way of his Torps, the DD gave a warning.

The whole point should be watch how you shoot and where you shoot. You cannot depend on what the other player is going to do or see.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I would of preferred if it had not happen at all. And some players who do not come on the forums do not know (or care maybe). I saw on a different game a BB player and DD player get into verbal assault in chat because the DD felt the BB should of gotten out of the way of his Torps, the DD gave a warning.

The whole point should be watch how you shoot and where you shoot. You cannot depend on what the other player is going to do or see.

I agree with everything you have said, what you have done for the DD player is give him a lesson, if he did not know to start with

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,546 posts
7,577 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

They need to be put in charge of a cargo ship carrying rubber dog turds out of Hong Kong as punishment....hehehehehe

No shi*, that would be C*appy Dooty....   https://www.myinstants.com/instant/rimshot/

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
30 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I agree with everything you have said, what you have done for the DD player is give him a lesson, if he did not know to start with

Yeah I agree, with you.

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,537 battles

I do hate it though when you've done a good stalk and have a fat BB lined up for a perfect torp hit and some oblivious doofus on your team won't get out of the way, but yes, everytime I've been pink it's been 100% my fault.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
2 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

I do hate it though when you've done a good stalk and have a fat BB lined up for a perfect torp hit and some oblivious doofus on your team won't get out of the way, but yes, everytime I've been pink it's been 100% my fault.

The aim is to send torps that might miss them as well....j/k