Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Baltimore top package worth it?

18 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
136 posts
2,926 battles

Finally unlocked the top hull & gun on the Baltimore and was wondering if it is worth the 5+million to buy them?  I'm thinking probably, but with the cruiser changes coming, I wasn't sure if the upgrades make a big difference...I hope so!  But there are so many other things to spend my limited credits on.  

[-K-]
Members
5,283 posts
9,108 battles

Of course they are.  Why wouldn't you want to be equipped with the best tools possible?

Consider how often you will see T10 matches and realize you need every benefit you can get at T9.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

You get the replacement ship in the same state your ship is now. So it don't make a difference if you buy it now or later if you go for the DM.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
1 hour ago, S7CentNickel said:

Finally unlocked the top hull & gun on the Baltimore and was wondering if it is worth the 5+million to buy them?  I'm thinking probably, but with the cruiser changes coming, I wasn't sure if the upgrades make a big difference...I hope so!  But there are so many other things to spend my limited credits on.  

You will get a refund of some of those credits when the ship is downtiered, so yes, buy now and get a nice stack of coins later from the Pensacola, NO, and Baltimore as their full priced modules and upgrades are reduced in price to tier 8 cost and the difference is reimbursed straight to the silver stack. Apart from that, Baltimore is a really good ship when fully upgraded, one of my favorite T9 cruisers actually! It's pretty tanky, which is a really nice surprise coming from the USN cruiser line. Add to that its good firepower, radar, heal, and good concealment and you've got a winner.

[SIDE]
Members
1,416 posts

Grinding 230k xp will take some time. I thought about skipping the upgrades too. Then i realized  I really kind of liked the Baltimore so I bought the upgrades. It totally transforms the boat. It’s still vulnerable but he extra hp helps a lot. The biggest improvements are the gunnery range and rate of fire. Soooo much better. It’s not quite break even but after you buy the upgrades you can recoup some of the cost by selling stock modules. Then when you sell Baltimore you get a lot of credit for the ship and also credit for the upgrades. I have skipped tier 9s I knew I wouldn’t keep a few times using free xp. I think the Baltimore is worth grinding thru . No torps which is a bummer.  Played to it’s strengths it is an excellent mid range support ship and absolutely terrorizes DD’s. I’d like to see ROF buffed a bit higher or velocity increased but it works fine for me as-is. 

21k xp remaining to Des Moines.

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles

Dude, dont criticize the Baltimore's package, ok? 

• Funny 1

[ICE9]
Members
832 posts
3 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Trust me, you will see so many Hindys, Minnows, and Zaos on the road to Des Moines you'll be glad you did.

Members
18,235 posts
5,209 battles
4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

You get the replacement ship in the same state your ship is now. So it don't make a difference if you buy it now or later if you go for the DM.

It will make a difference though. The modules will be cheaper when Baltimore becomes T8.

If it were me, I'd leave it stock, not play it, and upgrade it after the split.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles
43 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It will make a difference though. The modules will be cheaper when Baltimore becomes T8.

If it were me, I'd leave it stock, not play it, and upgrade it after the split.

Not really, he still had to pay for the modules when he get the Buffalo. It didn't make a difference if he want to have the DM. He will get anyway the T8 modules if he still have the NO in the port.

Even if he get the gun upgrade he will get the money back after the split. He will lose nothing. It makes only a difference if he is short on credits now.

Members
18,235 posts
5,209 battles
49 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Not really, he still had to pay for the modules when he get the Buffalo. It didn't make a difference if he want to have the DM. He will get anyway the T8 modules if he still have the NO in the port.

Even if he get the gun upgrade he will get the money back after the split. He will lose nothing. It makes only a difference if he is short on credits now.

Good point, thinking he was stopping at Baltimore for some reason lol.

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,333 battles

yeah, I agree with the others.  Baltimore is a beast mode cruiser and worthy of realizing her full potential.  

Edit:  Looks like I only have 4 games in her so far but she's proven to be a really reliable cruiser.  The AP is insane.

image.thumb.png.a0d650124368318479e67a36eef427ea.png

Edited by driedjello

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,333 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Looks like I will be a fully upgraded tonight!  Thanks!

You won't regret it.  As long as you keep your citadels away from anything bigger than a DD, you'll absolutely wreck the reds with this ship.  Your friendly dds will go into the cap with more confidence knowing you are only a couple kilometers behind them.  

[SIDE]
Members
1,416 posts
11 minutes ago, driedjello said:

You won't regret it.  As long as you keep your citadels away from anything bigger than a DD, you'll absolutely wreck the reds with this ship.  Your friendly dds will go into the cap with more confidence knowing you are only a couple kilometers behind them.  

Very powerful cruiser WHEN PLAYED TO ITS STRENGTHS.

get up to a few km of dd when Radar ready. Make sure cover avail. Pop it and nail red dd. Then after it runs gtfo and move to mid range for cool down and nail sides of cruisers with AP and B.B. with HE.  Rinse and repeat.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,658 posts
5,567 battles

If you are going to actually play the ship, then yes. If you plan on free-xping past the ship to Des Moines without playing it anymore, then save the credits. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts
8 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Grinding 230k xp will take some time. I thought about skipping the upgrades too. Then i realized  I really kind of liked the Baltimore so I bought the upgrades. It totally transforms the boat. It’s still vulnerable but he extra hp helps a lot. The biggest improvements are the gunnery range and rate of fire. Soooo much better. It’s not quite break even but after you buy the upgrades you can recoup some of the cost by selling stock modules. Then when you sell Baltimore you get a lot of credit for the ship and also credit for the upgrades. I have skipped tier 9s I knew I wouldn’t keep a few times using free xp. I think the Baltimore is worth grinding thru . No torps which is a bummer.  Played to it’s strengths it is an excellent mid range support ship and absolutely terrorizes DD’s. I’d like to see ROF buffed a bit higher or velocity increased but it works fine for me as-is. 

21k xp remaining to Des Moines.

True- plus the xp and credit cost of any non researched modules gets tacked on to the cost of the next ship in line.   Even if you'd skipped them, you'd still have to pay for them when you researched Des Moines.   I found this out the hard way when I free xp'd Iowa (I'd already been playing Missouri for a long time.) to get Monty.

A 10 second reload on THOSE guns ain't enough??  Lol.   That thing terrorizes any ship that shows it's broadside or ignores the presence of a USN 8" CA, lol.   Balty does unspeakable things to BB secondary decks with that AP- I've totally trashed German BB's with it before.  A cruiser that shows you a lot of side may as well just grab their ankles.

Totally worth the upgrade- esp if you like god-mode AA. 

Just avoid playing it like a typical torp cruiser and you'll be A'ight.  Balti is made to SHOOT things, knock planes out of the sky, and make DD's cry.   It's also pretty tanky if you don't let enemies just whale on you at their leasure.   Superintendant for the extra Def AA, heal and radar is a no-brainer.

Sign in to follow this