Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

How to play the Roma

19 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,636 battles

Roma has and incredible concealment number of 11.1km when fully upgraded. My question is how to best play this ship with that concealment number? I know that when angled this ship is very tanky. It's guns are only 381mm but have a very high muzzle velocity so they hit hard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Roma has and incredible concealment number of 11.1km when fully upgraded. My question is how to best play this ship with that concealment number? I know that when angled this ship is very tanky. It's guns are only 381mm but have a very high muzzle velocity so they hit hard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may have a nice concealment but you will still need supporting ships, as once you fire your guns you are seen, and you will attract a lot of fire from people wanting to burn you down, or torp you being so close a target.

How you play the ship works in so many ways, the map, where you spawn, what support you will have, what ships are on the enemy team, are all determining factors, if you can use this concealment or not.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
18 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

It may have a nice concealment but you will still need supporting ships, as once you fire your guns you are seen, and you will attract a lot of fire from people wanting to burn you down, or torp you being so close a target.

How you play the ship works in so many ways, the map, where you spawn, what support you will have, what ships are on the enemy team, are all determining factors, if you can use this concealment or not.

Criminal is right, he is good in his Roma. I have seen him murder other players in it. Rob players of a huge amount of their HP in a single shot and use its concealment to steal the other team of cap points.

Edited by Belthorian

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

Criminal is right, he is good in his Roma. I have seen him murder other players in it. Steal huge amounts of their HP in a single shot and use its concealment to rob the other team of cap points.

I do not own one

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
11 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I do not own one

You had to ruin a perfectly good joke.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

You had to ruin a perfectly good joke.

Your not on teamspeak, so I had to

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Your not on teamspeak, so I had to

lol I have to go to work this morning so I only have a few minutes to mess with you.

[RKLES]
Members
7,227 posts
9,006 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Had a Roma Secondary brawling against my Bisnarck and Roma did surprising amounts of damage as well as surviving longer than expected. I would say maybe give it a Secondary Build? The Concealment can allow you to sneak into closer ranges and seems to have the armor and secondary guns, granted I would not go brawling with a secondary build Bismarck, but I think it can brawl against other ships. I could be wrong since I do not own a Roma so have limited ability to experience what it can do by fighting against them.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

lol I have to go to work this morning so I only have a few minutes to mess with you.

And make a mess you did, dam that sounds so wrong, ok back to the Roma.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

In mine, especially if I am up tiered I will stick close to T9 and 10 ships so when I do fire more than likely the enemy team will be shooting at the other ships thinking they are a greater threat. If I am going after a specific target I will try and stay close to islands to protect one side from counter fire from the target's teammates. I use the Romas concealment to shoot, disappear, move and shoot. Don't give the enemy the ability to focus fire. Choose your targets carefully and don't fire shots as soon as they reload.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles
28 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Had a Roma Secondary brawling against my Bisnarck and Roma did surprising amounts of damage as well as surviving longer than expected. I would say maybe give it a Secondary Build? The Concealment can allow you to sneak into closer ranges and seems to have the armor and secondary guns, granted I would not go brawling with a secondary build Bismarck, but I think it can brawl against other ships. I could be wrong since I do not own a Roma so have limited ability to experience what it can do by fighting against them.

No, hell no. 

Roma has horrible Secondary guns. Her 152mm guns fire slowly and fire AP, while the 90mm guns lack the punch in terms of penetration and fire chance to be of much use either. Not to mention her stock range of only 5km (while others exceed 7km). 

What Roma should be using is a build focused around her main guns, stealth and survivability.

So for the modules:

- Main Battery Survival

- reduced flood and fire chance

- Main Battery accuracy

- reduced duration of fires

- Concealment

Captain skills, in that order:

Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Concealment Expert, Fire Prevention, Basics of Survivability, High Alert/Jack of all Trades

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,047 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I only have a few games in mine but love it. You know your guns aren’t the most accurate but they have great velocity and pen. I honestly look to DD’s and BB’s for damage. My experience so far is that lightly armored cruisers take almost all overpens. Use your stealth to push a little closer to cap and look for broadsiding BB’s. You have the speed and concealment to always relocate if you need. The biggest thing is pay attention to the minimap. You never want a BB or CA/CL with great guns to get your broadside because you have the above waterline citadel. Bow on, this is one of the most tanky ships I’ve played. Last night I had 4.2 million potential damage (none of it was torps) which is a lot that my team didn’t take. If only they would reward you for tanking.

Oh you can bounce Yamato shells head on. Not all the time but it is so much fun to just imagine them getting frustrated. 

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I play her like a cruiser. I close in with my team to support capture of the cap. I basically try to keep wiggling and punish broadside ships.

I went with fire prevention first. I don’t really miss the CE skill yet.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Never ever brawl in this ship! Aside from the fact that her secondaries are garbage, Roma's citadel is fantastically easy to hit due to it being huge and above the water. Instead, think of it a bit like Yamato (but with MUCH worse guns) in that you want to flank and entrench yourself someone where you're a threat and can prevent other ships getting line of sight to your sides.

You can also stay at mid range and play peakaboo with your concealment while on the move. Just don't take it for granted you can hover just outside your concealment range as all it takes is for a single DD to push up a little to keep you spotted. It's VERY important that you never ever show your side on this ship. She takes a *punishing* amount of damage if her sides are exposed even a little outside auto bounce angles.

Roma is not an easy boat to play. She has some nice pros such as the fact that her shell velocity is absolutely crazy and enemies can't dodge. She's also good at dealing with HE spam, so if you can entrench yourself somewhere where enemies can't flank you, you can take a ton of shellfire and laugh it off. But her guns are wildly inaccurate and inconsistent, her AA is very bad, and her protection against AP is probably the worst of any tier 8 BB. She is *extremely* unforgiving of mistakes. And unlike, say, Yamato, she doesn't have the gun reliability to make up for it.

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
48 posts
9,027 battles

posted this in another thread:

Armour, I've been using Roma in ranked and she by far in and out of ranked is my best bb. I usually stay pretty full health. I've had play7ers complain on my playing style but they don';t seem to understand how she performs best. I play her like a US bb or a yammy, keep the bow towards the enemy and angle it slightly. unless they hit the right spots then you pretty much bounce everything. They will try to shoot some one else but if you keep dealing dmg they always come back for more because they can't ignore you. Don't show broadside and running away is not as bad as broadside but not near as good as head on. I back up if i can.

Guns. . .I am quite accurate in mine. its only saying 32% hit rate, but I have improved since I first got it on my accuracy, plus its not showing my ranked matches in the stats. I took the accuracy mods, and I found that I am more accurate at 1/2 to full stop. the game seems to drop the shells short so I aim a little higher than I would with a US or japanease bb and go from there. max range is always bad, but between 13-16 I can hit to the point I'm happy with my performance.

Pens are also about where you hit them and what you are shooting at. which is part of the game. The turrets rotate fast so you can switch targets to get the best one quickly.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts
19 minutes ago, Tyranthrax said:

Guns. . .I am quite accurate in mine. its only saying 32% hit rate, but I have improved since I first got it on my accuracy, plus its not showing my ranked matches in the stats. I took the accuracy mods, and I found that I am more accurate at 1/2 to full stop. the game seems to drop the shells short so I aim a little higher than I would with a US or japanease bb and go from there. max range is always bad, but between 13-16 I can hit to the point I'm happy with my performance.

Pens are also about where you hit them and what you are shooting at. which is part of the game. The turrets rotate fast so you can switch targets to get the best one quickly.

The problem with Roma's guns is that if the shells drift even the tiniest big higher than the main armor belt, they'll often overpen. It's actually not that difficult to score hits on this ship due to the inability of the target to dodge. It's just that most of those hits will be overpens through the upper belts or superstructures.

• Cool 1

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
48 posts
9,027 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

The problem with Roma's guns is that if the shells drift even the tiniest big higher than the main armor belt, they'll often overpen. It's actually not that difficult to score hits on this ship due to the inability of the target to dodge. It's just that most of those hits will be overpens through the upper belts or superstructures.

I get overpens but they seem to work well on ships that try to tank head on. even with over pens I've seen 10-13k salvoes. accuracy seemed to go up stopped or slower.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,047 battles
10 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I hate seeing broadside cruisers when in the Roma. I know if I had any other BB I would probably delete the ship but with Roma it just fails to punish cruiser mistakes. My go to is aim waterline and hope the shells strike armor or water enough to not overpen. That being said, I love seeing broadside BB’s and really any DD. Idk what it is with the Roma but I can have shells land all around an enemy BB but when I see a DD I usually hit 2-3 shells. It is an overpen machine though.

[HINON]
Members
2,580 posts
18,824 battles

I went with a mostly AA build because CVs know Roma has pathetic AA and takes huge damage from dive bombers. It's true they will still drop on you but you can punish the squads enough that the cv might think twice about targetting you again. It be interesting if Roma had defensive fire consumable like Hood.

Sign in to follow this