You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

Help with training a captain

9 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Members
533 posts
5,877 battles

I'm confused, and reading other threads isn't helping, so here it is,

I have a 16 pt captain in my Bismarck, but I want to train him faster, so I need to train him in a Tirpitz, right?

But I don't understand how moving him trains him faster?

And does it cost me gold everytime I move him between ships?

And what do I do with the captain in the Tirpitz?

Thanks

[WOLF2]
Members
275 posts
11,924 battles

It will not cost you anything to move the captain back and forth between the ships.

You can put your Tirpitz captain in the barracks or dismiss him.

You can train him in any premium German ship. 

To train him faster you play captain in each ship at least until you get your first win of the day for the bonus.

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto
  • Cool 1

Members
14 posts
1,830 battles

Premium ships allow you to do two things. First you can place any captain in them without any retraining necessary to drive the premium ships and collect the xp from playing it and if you put that captain back into the ship he came from it's all free. Second if you are moving a captain between tech tree ships and have the xp grind to retrain, by putting a captain in a premium ship you can do all the retraining while the captain maintains their full skill abilities without that 50% penalty.

• Cool 2

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
23 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I'm confused, and reading other threads isn't helping, so here it is,

I have a 16 pt captain in my Bismarck, but I want to train him faster, so I need to train him in a Tirpitz, right?

If you have any German premium ships, you can move him to them for free. He will be fully trained in that ship automatically.

But I don't understand how moving him trains him faster?

There are quite a few ways: each ship has the daily bonus so you can get multiple bonuses with 1 captain, premium ships have a premium camo which gives bonuses unlike a stock ship (unless you use camo), and premium ships are credit farmers so any time you need credits you can gain Captain XP. If you get bored of the ship he is in, switch him to a premium ship an have fun.

And does it cost me gold everytime I move him between ships?

It only costs gold to retrain to 100%. You can pay credits to get them to 50% which I would recommend. You only have to do this when switching the non premium ship the captain is trained to which you usually will only do when you unlock the next tier.

And what do I do with the captain in the Tirpitz?

If you have an empty captain slot, there is a drop down box that says dismiss or move to reserves or something like that. If it is a captain with a few skills and you are limited on that, put him in the reserves. If you have a few decent captains and he is a low skill then just dismiss him. It’s really up to you. 

Thanks

Hope this helps.

Good luck and fair seas.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

Here is another example of what you can do if you have multiple premium ships of the same nation.

I have a British Captain trained on Queen Elizabeth with premium permant camo, I also have Warspite, and Duke of York. Now each day I play all 3 of the ships to collect the daily +50% XP bonus or in the case of this past week the +200% bonus. Using several premium ships and a regular tech tree ship speeds up progress greatly even without premium time I have gotten my British Captain from 10 points up to very close to 18 points within 3 months. If you use about 30 days premium time as well as some commander XP Signal Flags you could speed this process up to less than a month though.

You can do the same kind of thing with Bismarck you run battle in Bismarck, then move Captain to Tirpitz, and let’s say you bought Scharnhorst as well, you could then use Bismarck, Tirpitz, and Scharnhorst to train the Bismarck Captain.

And I would like to add that once you have a 19 point Captain you can still act like you are trying to train him and produce a lot of Elite Captain XP. The Elite Captain XP is great for captains of ships that need to certain level of Captain to be functional, and training those Captains might be too painful to level on their own. So you use the Elite Captain XP to increase their level. I have a 19 point Captain on my Bismarck and any Captain XP he earns is actually Elite Captain XP and has saved me some very painful Captain grinds.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

Breaking it down simply.

1) Normally, moving a captain from ship to ship means that he has to be re-trained in that ship before he can start to earn captain XP. The re-training XP required to do this can be quite substantial.

2) Premium ships do not give this penalty.

3) The first win of the day in any ship gives a bonus to the XP earned.

4) Get the first win of the day in the ship the captain is normally in. Then put the captain in all the premium ships, one by one, and play them out to the first win also. All the XP you accrue in those games goes on that captain. By this you accrue more captain XP, equivalent to the XP you win in all those ships, added together. In addition, premium ships have premium camo which brings its own XP bonuses anyway. ALL OF THAT accrues on the captain too. At the end, you put the captain back in his normal ship and it's as if he never left it.

5) The downside of this is that you can only do it for ONE captain on any given day.

6) You can of course rotate ALL your captains of that nation through your premium ships in order to gain the bonus of their premium camo XP boosts, IF your normal ships do not have permanent camo. If you are free-to-play and you won your premium ships in supercontainers or in-game missions, or if your captain is in a ship that does not have premium camo (below Tier VI), this can be very useful. If you are a paying player and bought your premium ships, you should probably spend the extra money required to get doubloons and get your non-premium Tier VI-plus ships perma-camo. For example, if my highest tech tree ships were the Emerald and Iron Duke, and I had the Belfast or Gallant as a premium, I could put the Emerald and Iron Duke captains in the Belfast or Gallant to take advantage of their premium ship perma-camo, even if I had already milked the first-win bonus for both.

• Cool 1

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,929 battles

Any Captain trained to a NON-premium boat can be moved to a Premium boat without loss of skill.  They can be moved back to their original trained NON-Premium boat without penalty or cost.  Why would you do this?   Well to take advantages that a premium boat gives you, There are several.  Here are the premium boat avantages 1) +50% to Captain Skill at the end of every battle, first battle bonus and Premium time compound, so you could take your captain every day and transfer to each Premium boat of the same nation and get that extra  skill bonus.  Also add your cammo and signal flags that give commander bonus and dont forget CLAN bonus to those clans that have earned it, thats another 3% so all that + XP really adds up.   1 major important thing too, when you get to skill rank 19, you earn ELITE captain XP, which allows you to RE-train captain WITHOUT DUBLOONS!   very very important!

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
533 posts
5,877 battles

Thank you for the help, moved my captain around this morning for some extra XP 

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
533 posts
5,877 battles

Looks like I better get good in a Graf Spee since I have 2 premiums, might just convert me to a cruiser driver instead of a BB driver.