You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RaidMaximus

Which One ?

15 comments in this topic

[USMC-]
Members
6 posts
2,684 battles

Hey guys, 1st post on this forum .

Im trying to make a decision and I cant  make up my mind.

Should I go for Admiral Hipper or Charles Martel ?

I want to skip Yorck  just because of not so great reviews I've watched on youtube .

I know the reviews are like 1 year old ,but still I don't think Im going to like  Yorck .

I do have the XP to jump over Yorck and go for Hipper . That was my plan ,but then I started to play French cruisers and I do like them.

I love the play stale of the Nurnberg  and the De Grasse , fast turrets and fast firing guns .

So what do you guys think I should go for and why ?

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,583 posts

eh-theyre-both-fine-choices-whatever-flo

[USMC-]
Members
6 posts
2,684 battles

LOL  thanks for that , but does not answer the question .

I can only get one of them at this point. 

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles
1 minute ago, RaidMaximus said:

The big question is: do you prefer to set fires and spam he, or use surgical precision and annihilate ships with AP? French ships will give you more of the former, German ships the latter. Both lines are good, and with the new buff Hipper is great. 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,583 posts
1 minute ago, RaidMaximus said:

Well the French are basically glass cannons. They can do a lot of damage but if you get caught out in the open you're pretty much done. The Henri IV is a pocket battleship without any of the armour, so if you like to deal out massive first strikes then the French are the route for you.

The Germans are more of a middle-ground and are probably the safer choice if you're not sure what you want to do

Members
2,431 posts
7,742 battles
12 minutes ago, RaidMaximus said:

Should I go for Admiral Hipper or Charles Martel ?

CM is better than Hipper, but Hipper is a good ship too. But Roon (T9) and Hindenburg (T10) are better than Sait Louis (T9) and Henri IV (T10). Alhtough they are all good ships in their own way. 

If you want a better T8, go with CM. If you want to grind al the way to T10, go with Hipper. 

Also, dont skip Yorck, its a decent ship, not great but not terrible either. Save your free XP to get modules on new ships. 

[SF-A]
Members
2,901 posts
5,722 battles

Yorck is underrated. The HE is actually amazing, and is very consistent. That said, I loved Charles Martel, so I'd pick that.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
22 minutes ago, Xlap said:

But Roon (T9) and Hindenburg (T10) are better than Sait Louis (T9) and Henri IV (T10).

Really it depends. I think he needs to just flip a coin and carry on with the outcome.

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Hipper in my book, CM is good, but Hipper to Hindy is one of the best grinds in the game

Members
2,431 posts
7,742 battles
7 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Really it depends. I think he needs to just flip a coin and carry on with the outcome.

Not that the french are bad, but the germans are better overall. They are tankier, have better DPM, Better AA, great Hydro. They bring more utility, while the french have littl utility, they are long range HE spammers, great long range HE spammers tbh, but thats it. 

[AAA]
Members
443 posts
5,488 battles

CM might be the best tech tree CA at T8 with all respect to Chappy and Mogami. I haven't played the Hipper with buffs, but the Roon and Hindy are gold.

IMO don't skip ships. The tools and pains you learn only help you as you advance up the tree. That said the Brit BB QE is about to drive me up the wall, and I'm about done with her. Give the t7 German a shot before passing it.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
511 posts
5,620 battles

I have the Henri and I enjoyed the grind overall, but as others said you get caught in the open and focused you're in for a bad time and you just don't have as much utility. I've been grinding the German cruisers forever and am up to Hipper. Started the French cruisers and didn't stop until I hit T10, that should tell you something. The speed is addicting and the fun factor is what kept me interested, though objectively speaking I'd say the high tier Germans are better overall. Yorck wasn't that bad dude, give it a shot, it teaches you a lot about how to cruiser at higher tiers.

Edited by HeathenForay

Members
1,087 posts
6,029 battles
12 hours ago, Xlap said:

Also, dont skip Yorck, its a decent ship, not great but not terrible either. Save your free XP to get modules on new ships. 

I had a really good time in the Yorck. Skipped the Hipper, as I had the Prinz Eugen (pre-buff), and felt I already had the Hipper experience (except for the stock grind, and I had no fire in my belly for that).