Jump to content
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

USS Wasp Supply Department Plaque ID Help: CV-7 or CV-18

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,947 battles

Hello! 

I am in need of this community's help in identifying this plaque I was thinking about buying.

A seller is offering this USS Wasp Supply Department plaque and claims its from either CV-7 or CV-18.  The latter is the Essex-class aircraft carrier that was deployed after the former was sunk.

I think he's right that its from one of the two due to its overall look, but I'm not sure which carrier it is from.  To me, I think it looks like the Essex-class carrier, but I'm not terribly sure.

If anybody knows more about this (or...heck...is a veteran from the second USS Wasp since she served up into the 70s), that would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

Oddly enough I was on the USS Hornet today and saw a very similar plaque so my guess is, if it's authentic, it would be from the Essex Class CV18. I'm not sure if I would ever buy it though without some form of traceable proof of authenticity. Not only to justify the price you're buying it for but also for the day you might be interested in selling.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,947 battles
6 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Oddly enough I was on the USS Hornet today and saw a very similar plaque so my guess is, if it's authentic, it would be from the Essex Class CV18. I'm not sure if I would ever buy it though without some form of traceable proof of authenticity. Not only to justify the price you're buying it for but also for the day you might be interested in selling.

Hmmmmmm...

Thanks for letting me know.

I was hoping that it was from the CV-7 USS Wasp since I'm a big fan of interwar carriers. 

Does the Essex USS Hornet have stuff from the CV-8 Hornet? 

If anything, I think its authentic because of its size (it's apparently about 9 inches) and its material (bronze).  This makes it very expensive to try and copy-cat. 

Unfortunately, the seller bought the plaque from an estate sale in Maine, so there is not a high chance of proof for authenticity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
289
[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,818 battles

Plaques like this one were very commonly made in the 50's and 60's for most ships.  Typically, they go for about $50 to $100.  Getting one cast wasn't a big thing back then as most Navy yards had a foundry and brass and bronze scrap (valves and other fittings) were available in mass.  You could usually get a ship's pattern maker or carpenter to make a blank for the casting.

Many were also painted or otherwise decorated too.

It's almost certainly from CV 18 not the LHD version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

Not much if any. CV-8 was lost at sea which took most artifacts with it. Unfortunately this plaque could've been from anything, including the LHD USS Wasp (this would be the most likely of the three). It's odd to me that the plaque doesn't include the Naval registry number along with the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,947 battles
Just now, Murotsu said:

Plaques like this one were very commonly made in the 50's and 60's for most ships.  Typically, they go for about $50 to $100.  Getting one cast wasn't a big thing back then as most Navy yards had a foundry and brass and bronze scrap (valves and other fittings) were available in mass.  You could usually get a ship's pattern maker or carpenter to make a blank for the casting.

Many were also painted or otherwise decorated too.

It's almost certainly from CV 18 not the LHD version.

It's probably not from the CV-7 version as well, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,947 battles
Just now, KingCakeBaby said:

Not much if any. CV-8 was lost at sea which took most artifacts with it. Unfortunately this plaque could've been from anything, including the LHD USS Wasp (this would be the most likely of the three). It's odd to me that the plaque doesn't include the Naval registry number along with the name.

Well...the LHD USS Wasp is a bit different in regards to crest:

9d163ac0cbc30b75ed80fdcf51bc5070.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

That isn't the crest of any of the ships that bared the name Wasp; it's the departmental crest of the Navy supply department which had a presence on all three.

20180513_110008.jpg

20180513_112452.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
289
[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,818 battles
8 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Not much if any. CV-8 was lost at sea which took most artifacts with it. Unfortunately this plaque could've been from anything, including the LHD USS Wasp (this would be the most likely of the three). It's odd to me that the plaque doesn't include the Naval registry number along with the name.

Plaques like this are locally made by the crew.  They're never official Navy issue items.  Usually, its a chief or officer on the ship that knows somebody and gets them made as cumshaw in a trade or as a favor.  I have several really nice ones, including one that's all wood and handmade, from units I was in.  Most divisions on a ship had their own crest, but these were semi-official at best.

The one shown is almost certainly CV 18 in origin.  I've seen lots from the 50's and 60's and they all have that 'look' to them in terms of quality and finish.  Newer ones have crisper details, and prior to the 50's they rarely exist due to wartime need for the materials that went into them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

I wasn't arguing the background, I was voicing my opinion that buying a historical artifact without proof of authenticity is rife with issues. I would argue that it is just as likely to come off the LHD as the other two since the LHD has been in service for thirty years and counting. You could also argue that the navy more than any other branch tends to attract  those with an interest and appreciation of history. It's also the branch most steeped in tradition (save maybe the Marines), so it would come as no surprise that some Chief in the 90s might look to past plaques as an inspiration for their departmental detachment. Now I will say that I'm by no means an expert and I could very well be wrong, but the fact that we're having this conversation at all proves the real point that without something to say that this item was commissioned by this person for this ship for these years then there's no way to say for sure and there will always be a cloud of doubt. 

 

Not saying you shouldn't buy it, if nothing else it would be a neat wall decoration, but if I were in your position I would try to get as much information as possible from the seller. A good place to start would be the name of the estate the item came from and see if you can't match that name against a ship registry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,947 battles
2 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I wasn't arguing the background, I was voicing my opinion that buying a historical artifact without proof of authenticity is rife with issues. I would argue that it is just as likely to come off the LHD as the other two since the LHD has been in service for thirty years and counting. You could also argue that the navy more than any other branch tends to attract  those with an interest and appreciation of history. It's also the branch most steeped in tradition (save maybe the Marines), so it would come as no surprise that some Chief in the 90s might look to past plaques as an inspiration for their departmental detachment. Now I will say that I'm by no means an expert and I could very well be wrong, but the fact that we're having this conversation at all proves the real point that without something to say that this item was commissioned by this person for this ship for these years then there's no way to say for sure and there will always be a cloud of doubt. 

 

Not saying you shouldn't buy it, if nothing else it would be a neat wall decoration, but if I were in your position I would try to get as much information as possible from the seller. A good place to start would be the name of the estate the item came from and see if you can't match that name against a ship registry.

Very true.

For the most part, I'm probably not going to get it because it's not related to CV-7 :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
255
[REVY]
Members
951 posts
7,518 battles
14 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Hmmmmmm...

Thanks for letting me know.

I was hoping that it was from the CV-7 USS Wasp since I'm a big fan of interwar carriers. 

Does the Essex USS Hornet have stuff from the CV-8 Hornet? 

If anything, I think its authentic because of its size (it's apparently about 9 inches) and its material (bronze).  This makes it very expensive to try and copy-cat. 

Unfortunately, the seller bought the plaque from an estate sale in Maine, so there is not a high chance of proof for authenticity.

 

14 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Not much if any. CV-8 was lost at sea which took most artifacts with it. Unfortunately this plaque could've been from anything, including the LHD USS Wasp (this would be the most likely of the three). It's odd to me that the plaque doesn't include the Naval registry number along with the name.

 

14 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

It's probably not from the CV-7 version as well, right?

 

10 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Very true.

For the most part, I'm probably not going to get it because it's not related to CV-7 :Smile_hiding:

The only Carrier I've heard of that had something  from its predecessor aboard, was CVN-65. It had at least a porthole and a few other artifacts from CV-6.

Most important items on a warship, such as a silver service, were removed from the ship during wartime. Those were kept by the navy to be placed back on the ship in peacetime, or to it's successor or spiritual successor.

 

Anything aboard to CV-7 or CV-8 went down with them, so I agree this plaque is likely from CV-18 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569
[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,795 battles
On 5/13/2018 at 5:33 PM, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Hello! 

I am in need of this community's help in identifying this plaque I was thinking about buying.

A seller is offering this USS Wasp Supply Department plaque and claims its from either CV-7 or CV-18.  The latter is the Essex-class aircraft carrier that was deployed after the former was sunk.

I think he's right that its from one of the two due to its overall look, but I'm not sure which carrier it is from.  To me, I think it looks like the Essex-class carrier, but I'm not terribly sure.

If anybody knows more about this (or...heck...is a veteran from the second USS Wasp since she served up into the 70s), that would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I seriously doubt anyone would have taken the plaque off a sinking ship so I would reason it's from CV18 and not 7. Cool find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
9,543 battles
On 5/14/2018 at 12:34 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

The only Carrier I've heard of that had something  from its predecessor aboard, was CVN-65. It had at least a porthole and a few other artifacts from CV-6.

Most important items on a warship, such as a silver service, were removed from the ship during wartime. Those were kept by the navy to be placed back on the ship in peacetime, or to it's successor or spiritual successor.

Anything aboard to CV-7 or CV-8 went down with them, so I agree this plaque is likely from CV-18 

Lots of ships have received small artifacts from their namesakes. CVN-65 probably holds the record with it's row of portholes from CV-9. I was informed years ago that SSN-750 USS Newport News had several items from CA-148 USS Newport News, including the commissioning plaque and ships bell at one point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×