You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

A Question to DD Players

53 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,325 battles

At what tier does one learn the lesson of NOT sitting broadside in smoke so that torpedoes won't dev strike you three minutes in? Because this lesson is not being learned by half of the DD players I have witnessed today. I mean, I'm seeing Shimakaze players just sitting in smoke and lo and behold red Gearing gets a Dev Strike. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

At what tier does one learn the lesson of NOT sitting broadside in smoke so that torpedoes won't dev strike you three minutes in? Because this lesson is not being learned by half of the DD players I have witnessed today. I mean, I'm seeing Shimakaze players just sitting in smoke and lo and behold red Gearing gets a Dev Strike. 

When battleships stop sailing in straight lines and being BBabies.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles

It doesn't happen by tier, only when you've experienced getting toped enough that you (hopefully) learn not to do that. It took me about 12 battles to learn this lesson but I'm actually trying to improve my DD play, not everyone is.

Edited by coletrain_commander
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
26 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

At what tier does one learn the lesson of NOT sitting broadside in smoke so that torpedoes won't dev strike you three minutes in? Because this lesson is not being learned by half of the DD players I have witnessed today

Probably about the same time they learn that if they are bow-on and get hit by a BB they will certainly lose about half their health and may just die from another dev strike, or even be detonated. The recent BB buff, the latest in an ever lengthening list of BB buffs, both increases BB accuracy and insures that AP will now just about eliminate any DD it strikes. So it comes down to which ship you need protection from, red BBs or red DDs.

[CK5]
Members
805 posts
6,562 battles

Getting smacked through the bow by a BB is bad luck, but getting deleted by another DD's torpedoes while sitting in smoke is public humiliation.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,106 posts
41 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

It is a gamble. If you sit broadside, you may, just may live long enough to get another salvo of torpedoes off before you die. If you sit bow on, you will have to turn broadside anyway to launch your torpedoes, assuming you survive the pen through the nose that is coming. Either way, the De Moines has you lit up , so it is really just preference as to what you'd like your cause of death to be. It is all part of the charm that makes upper tier play about as fun and exciting as watching your fingernails grow.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
6 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

It is all part of the charm that makes upper tier play about as fun and exciting as watching your fingernails grow.

What is the tier 10 motto? "We hide the best!"

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
19 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Getting smacked through the bow by a BB is bad luck, but getting deleted by another DD's torpedoes while sitting in smoke is public humiliation.

That might have been true before the BB buffs, but I see a lot more bow on DDs getting dev strikes and detonations from BBs which are now a lot more accurate.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,106 posts
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

And let us not forget the immortal: "I never met an island I couldn't hump."

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
8 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

And let us not forget the immortal: "I never met an island I couldn't hump."

I still get a serious giggle whenever I see three or four huge BBs trying to all hide behind an island the size of a light cruiser, and which provides none of them any cover what-so-ever. Total LOL-fest!

Members
1,023 posts
3,549 battles

The trick is knowing when to leave. If a red DD is around, that isn't very long. Say maybe 30 seconds at most. If no DD's or other torp boats are around and someone else is spotting, that's a different story......Broadside usually isn't a good idea in any case...............

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Lots of noob DD Captains have issues learning this, and more importantly rushing into caps.

If you're going to sit in smoke, keep moving forwards and backwards. Turn your stern towards the enemy so you are less likely to be hit my torps.

Honestly, idk when I learned this, but these days the Tubers show these tactics. 

When I play a game like this, i research them. I wish others would do the same.

• Cool 1

[ICE9]
Members
833 posts
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Or maybe adopt the USN boomer's* motto, "We hide with pride!"

* "boomer" is US Navy slang for fleet ballistic missile submarines, like the Ohio class and the old Polaris boats.

Members
2,392 posts
7,707 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

What about both: BBs learn to WASD and DDs to not sit broadsided in smoke? 

Members
2,392 posts
7,707 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Probably about the same time they learn that if they are bow-on and get hit by a BB they will certainly lose about half their health and may just die from another dev strike, or even be detonated. 

Inside smoke you need to worry more about incoming torps than BB AP. So if you are sitting inside smoke its better to stay bow/stern on.

2 hours ago, Umikami said:

The recent BB buff, the latest in an ever lengthening list of BB buffs, both increases BB accuracy and insures that AP will now just about eliminate any DD it strikes. So it comes down to which ship you need protection from, red BBs or red DDs.

What buff? Since last yera BBs are getting some indirect nerfs while DDs got some buffs.

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,712 battles
20 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

No tier. Eventually they learn, but I think many become disheartened by the brutal trial that high tier DD gameplay has become. 

And we are getting more accurate AP AND more radar with the US cruisers. These will bring more joy to all DD drivers, I am sure. At least the Shim is getting a torp reload buff. 

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
271 posts
3,713 battles

Smoke in caps isnt for hiding in its a torp sponge lay it a be somewhere else

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
2 hours ago, TF77 said:

Or maybe adopt the USN boomer's* motto, "We hide with pride!"

* "boomer" is US Navy slang for fleet ballistic missile submarines, like the Ohio class and the old Polaris boats.

I thought their motto was "A hole in the ocean"; but that one is good too.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
2 hours ago, Xlap said:

What buff? Since last yera BBs are getting some indirect nerfs while DDs got some buffs.

BBs never get nerfed, and DDs never get buffed, and the BB buffs I'm talking about was the use of their AP shells against DDs.

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,279 battles
5 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

I'm guessing some never learn any lesson. My latest Dev Strike was part of a Double Strike, in ranked, on Sleeping Giant. First the red Shima smokes ~7km in front of my Mino, despite KNOWING I'm running radar and RDF. Torps out as I turn to engage the red Mino in the A cap.. who thinks going full broadside to another Mino at under 5km is a great idea. Shima lived about 1 second longer than the Mino.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,357 battles
6 hours ago, Umikami said:

Probably about the same time they learn that if they are bow-on and get hit by a BB they will certainly lose about half their health and may just die from another dev strike, or even be detonated. The recent BB buff, the latest in an ever lengthening list of BB buffs, both increases BB accuracy and insures that AP will now just about eliminate any DD it strikes. So it comes down to which ship you need protection from, red BBs or red DDs.

Sorry, but DDs are not getting dev struck by BBs from being bow on in smoke unless that BB is at extremely close range and desperate.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,727 posts
8,256 battles
43 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Sorry, but DDs are not getting dev struck by BBs from being bow on in smoke unless that BB is at extremely close range and desperate.

I smoked up and reversed because a BB decided to camp next to me.  I took 3 BB shell on my bow from roughly 15km . Instant DS. 

Even if I show broadside because of that current BB AP bug, you can still get DS because : 

-some shell will still count as full pen which is stupid

-some shell will deal double damage

-combine both factor. 

So no, it's easy to DS a DD with BB. Even I can do this, yet I'm not a BB main, this is just point and click wait for RNG gives you that double damage or that fullpen damage. 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,357 battles
23 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I smoked up and reversed because a BB decided to camp next to me.  I took 3 BB shell on my bow from roughly 15km . Instant DS. 

Even if I show broadside because of that current BB AP bug, you can still get DS because : 

-some shell will still count as full pen which is stupid

-some shell will deal double damage

-combine both factor. 

So no, it's easy to DS a DD with BB. Even I can do this, yet I'm not a BB main, this is just point and click wait for RNG gives you that double damage or that fullpen damage. 

In open water, sure. I just don't see it happening often to DDs in smoke. Most BBs aren't going to waste a salvo trying to hit an invisible destroyer in smoke, especially if it's bow on.

Edited by Ju87s

Members
1,156 posts
6,931 battles

see it all the time, especially at high tiers.  some players smoke before they even get into the cap, then just sit there.   i warn them, then they die shortly later.   i guess they never learn. 

that is just about as frustrating as some BB who is sailing off to no mans land(especially in the slowest BB possible), shooting HE across the map while their team dies.  by the time they get within 15km of someone, they get focused and die quickly because they don't know what angling is. 

or the cruiser that sails right into the middle of the map 2 minutes in shooting at anything that moves(or random islands) while sailing broadside to the entire red team, shortly to die after. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,574 posts
8 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Ok, the BBabies insult didn't have to be in your post - but the truth behind the fact all ship types have their special captains is so true! :Smile_honoring: