You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Is Lexington even worth playing?

23 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

So I'm slowly working off my CV line I'm not playing them at all using my Free XP to research them.  That way I have at least all of my US ships unlocked.  How ever I've only played CV's in co op mode.  I've never really taken them into a live match.  I guess you could say I'm a would be useless CV player lol.  At least I can admit it.  How ever I don't really even play CVs but was it better off that I got it unlocked anyway?  Or was it not even worth wasting the Free xp on it.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

To be blunt, it's was a waste of time.

The reason I say this, is, you have not developed the skills necessary to play at that level (tier), which you would get if you simply played and ground your way up.

Playing T4 cruisers and then buying a Tirpitz is the same thing, you have no clue on what your doing for that level of play and it costs you games, costs your teams, games, and is not any fun.

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Cool 4

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
128 posts
8,189 battles
10 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

To be blunt, it was a waste of time.

The reason I say this, is, you have not developed the skills necessary to play at that level (tier), which you would get if you simply played and ground your way up.

Playing T4 cruisers and then buying a Tirpitz is the same thing, you have no clue on what your doing for that level of play and it costs you games, costs your teams, games, and is not any fun.

Yep - I agree

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Good points thank you it was a waist of free xp lol.  I just don't simply play carriers I wanted to have it unlocked though at least I do.  Well back to the grind I guess lol.  Live and learn.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
37 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

So I'm slowly working off my CV line I'm not playing them at all using my Free XP to research them.  That way I have at least all of my US ships unlocked.  How ever I've only played CV's in co op mode.  I've never really taken them into a live match.  I guess you could say I'm a would be useless CV player lol.  At least I can admit it.  How ever I don't really even play CVs but was it better off that I got it unlocked anyway?  Or was it not even worth wasting the Free xp on it.

Lexington is a joke, how the ship exists in the game in its current state is a mystery to me. Dont play it, you'll get nothing but disappointment. Just free XP past it, but be warned that Essex is a bit on the weak side as well (in contrast to Taiho) - so you may be free xp'ing past that one too.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I don't really play CVs at all I mainly play BBs and DDs I just wanted to get them unlocked and done hence why I used free xp.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,090 posts
14,497 battles
46 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Lexington is fine in Co-op.  Any ship is good in Co-op.  It's in PVP where she falls apart.  Lexington vs any Tier VIII CV not the same as her has a very bad time.  I also suggest not to FreeXP to get to Lexington.  She's not worth that kind of devotion of precious FreeXPs.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,249 posts
17,264 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Lexington is fine in Co-op.  Any ship is good in Co-op.  It's in PVP where she falls apart.  Lexington vs any Tier VIII CV not the same as her has a very bad time.  I also suggest not to FreeXP to get to Lexington.  She's not worth that kind of devotion of precious FreeXPs.

Agree with HazeGray. Lexington is perfectly fine in Co-op. Since you will only face another Lex; but not so much in Randoms.

Even after removal of a dive bomber squad, Lexington’s strike is still nothing to sneeze at; add in AP bombs and the Air Supremacy skill for extra fun...

...just not in Randoms.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

From what I see the IJN cv Shokaku actually has more planes than Lexington in the first place.  CV's just seem un balanced that way to me.  It's been that way for me for a long time.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

Lexington is a dumpster fire unless it faces another Lexington. I suggest only playing in a 3 man Div if you want a reasonable chance at winning.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Co-Op is nice..  With the Lexington, you know exactly what you will be facing (except AP/HE bombs).

Go to Random and you'll be facing Enterprise and Shokaku with a variety of load-outs each.

In fact, I don't think I ever fought a Lexington with another Lexington in Random.  Better know your manual strafe and torps before you go there.

Practice in...   Co-Op.  Those Lexington manual strafes are devastating against Enterprize and Shokaku planes.

And ALSO..  If you change the torp accell captain skill -- better do a few Co-Op missions to get used to the new drops.

[5IN]
Beta Testers
18 posts
7,502 battles

Once you think you got the hang of it from Co-op, run t6 or grab a Saipan to master the basics of Randoms, then you can start to mess with higher tier CV play. The Lex can work, but of all the t8 CVs, she makes YOU work the hardest.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

CV's just seem un balanced that way to me. 

It only seems to be because it is.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
2 hours ago, SuperSpud1 said:

A lot off people have missed your point and question there is nothing wrong with unlocking it with free xp if you don't play cv and when you do it's in co op, if you were planning to start playing it in random matches that would be a different story. The other side you have to look at is when the CV rework happens it's going to change how CV are played so having all the CV unlocked now might come in handy when that happens, so there's nothing wrong using free xp to get CV and finish of having all the US ships.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

Listen not to the cries of fear.  Lexington has few squadrons but they are powerful.  Think about the ability of your plens and what they can do to any one squadron.  As long as your team doesn't do the thing they should never do and split for A and C, you can stomp whatever you meet on one side if you are smart about it.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

Lexington's goodness aside, it is better to learn to work with less at Tier VIII so that you appreciate the overwhelming power you get with having two gigantic fighter squadrons at Tier IX, and you will be stuck with one torpaino squadron still so better to learn to use that one now when you are less critical to the team.  You can still take out Destroyers if you read their movements, even without the ability to anvil.  It is satisfying and glorious when their ship cracks and their heart fills with fear.  Many a time a destroyer underestimated the massive single torpodo squadron and rage reported me for defeating them.  It is satisfying.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
3 hours ago, SuperSpud1 said:

play less CV and we all win

WG should make a game  with 5 on 5 cvs

• Bad 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
13 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

play less CV and we all win

WG should make a game  with 5 on 5 cvs

Lol I don't really care much for CVs anyway, I just wanted to get it unlocked plain and simple lol.  CVs to me are Sky cancer but I usually have 100 AA ratings on my US BBs lol not only that CV players get ragged on so bad it's not even funny.  If the team plays poorly who gets blamed in most cases it's the poor individual who's behind the cv playing.  I've seen some bad ones and some good ones, if I started playing them I would be worse than bad lol.  At least I can admit it.

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,108 battles
18 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

Lexington is a joke, how the ship exists in the game in its current state is a mystery to me. Dont play it, you'll get nothing but disappointment. Just free XP past it, but be warned that Essex is a bit on the weak side as well (in contrast to Taiho) - so you may be free xp'ing past that one too.

I still need to work my way up the CV lines as well, but won't even bother until the CV rework is complete.  Who knows how much the gameplay is going to change for all the ships.....

Beta Testers
218 posts
5,301 battles

I sold mine when she lost the 2-1-2 loadout and haven't looked back since. 

Really though, imo the only USN CVs worth the time to play them are the premium CVs and the Essex and Midway. 

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

The Lex is completely outclassed by every other CV at her tier and possibly by the Kaga and Saipan a tier earlier.  *Searches* Yup.  She lacks the fighters,  she lacks the torpedo squadrons,  and her dive bombers are either too RNG dependent to be lethal or too selective in what targets they can deal good damage to.  The Enterprise beats her in fighters,  torpedo bombers,  and both types of bombers,  the Shokaku beats her in fighters and torpedo bombers with her dive bombers at least being decent at starting fires.  The Graf Zeppelin beats her in fighters ((Tier 7.5 with the ability to utilize dogfighting expert and having a larger squadron OR an AS module)) she has the strongest torpedoes in the game with more of them,  AND she has the strongest AP bombs with the shortest fuses in game.  

Now with that being said,  the Lex does have one thing she's good at,  its just that there are now two other ships that are better at it.  The Lady Lex's AP bombs are good at taking out heavily armored targets.  With fourteen bombs on target its actually kind of hard to miss when you send in her bombers on larger targets so you can really hammer a select number of targets.  The problem is that you'll generally face far more targets who WON'T take large chunks of damage and unlike her two competitors,  she doesn't have a lot to fall back on. 

The Lexington CAN do well,  you just have to work far,  far harder than anything other than another Lex to manage it.

Edited by Palladia

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

If anything the ship that makes the Lexington look brad is Graf Zeppelin only because it can do the single fighter squadron thing better than Lexington can.  Fortunately there aren't that many of those, and it is unlikely to be reintroduced soon.  The downside is that you can't cover your team if they decide to play the game incorrectly and to spread way too far out.