You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

How will the Indianapolis perform for a Pensacola captain?

32 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Since we'll be able to purchase the Indianapolis starting from June 1st, I would like to know how she stacks up compared to the Pensacola. I actually do alright in the Pensacola, averaging a 1.5-1.6 K/D and 43-44k damage. Indianapolis will have one more gun forward but two less guns in the rear, but from what I've seen the firing angles are quite decent. Durability wise I heard she has noticeably better armor than the Pensacola, but does it work that way in practice? Of course I'm not talking about straight up tanking battleship shells, but have you noticed an improvement over the Pensacola when it comes to tanking cruiser shells? Maneuverability wise, have you noticed that she's significantly more sluggish than the Pensacola? As for the guns, do they perform the exact same as Pensacola and NO's?

P.S. I think I'm going to rename her Portland because it would take my mind off of the Indy's tragic fate, plus Portland attained 16 battle stars.

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,466 battles

I play Indianapolis exactly how I did Pensacola and got the same results.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,074 battles

Pensacola and Indianapolis ay very much alike the Capt will do well.

Members
22 posts
1,746 battles

So long post.  I LOVE the Indianapolis.  Hate the Pensacola.  Finally got an Atlanta, love her too, but totally different than Indianapolis.

I bought the Indianapolis last year sometime I think, because of a few reasons... I had been playing solely US Cruisers & BBs.  I had kind of got stuck on the Cleveland and decided to only concentrate on getting my heart's desire of an Iowa.  Eventually the grind kind of wore me down.  I finally get the North Carolina, but face an entire new grind, need tons of XP and credits and all that.  So I realize I have a decently-used cruiser captain... and I see Indianapolis is newly available I believe and I figured, why not?  

Well , the Indianapolis basically not only BOUGHT me an Iowa through $$$ earnings, it also paid for the vast majority of the modules and upgrades was a lot of fun.  Still is.  Now I wanted an Atlanta for like 6+ months because it seems like Atlantas always caused me so much trouble, I wanted to try dishing it out.  *completely* different ships.

Pensacola, I cannot stand.  Hate it.

But if you're into the idea of a heavier cruiser who's job is fire support with bigger HE guns, module support with hydroacoustic search OR Defensive AA fire, PLUS 10KM Radar .... and generally harrass, attack, take some damage, soak up attacks, give it back , help out your DDs and your BBs in various opportunities, and make good credits & XP for it, the Indianapolis will be your awesome friend.

I am glad to have got an Atlanta recently but probably would not have traded it straight-up for the Indianapolis (despite many others who would) because I am more of a heavy-cruiser & BB type of player, but wanted to try out DDs and CLs too, because the game can be so different stylistically.  

• Bad 1

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Sounds like my playstyle because I do alright even in the Pensacola. Pretty sure averaging over 40k damage in that thing is no small feat for the 'average' player lol. I'll get Indianapolis (how do I rename her to Portland?) once she's released again beginning 1st of June.

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles
On 5/13/2018 at 6:50 PM, murryhawk said:

10klm radar Indy has but not rate of fire to kill anything you spot

Hey

The Indianapolis is garbage; while the guns can do good, the rest of it routinely does not and can not.

Pete

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

I decided to take the Indianapolis out for a test hop and not to disappoint; it's still very much garbage.  Keep in mind I was top tier in this game!  Cruisers I was getting nothing but overpens, broadside Gneisenau at 5 km range (storm in play), very little damage with AP (broken shells) and could only milk 22, 400 damage for the entire game, mostly due to shells that hang in the air and require a large lead at even moderate/close ranges.  Could not start a fire with HE, and the AP either overpenned most cruisers or shattered, the radar was useful once for a smoked DD.  With the recent buff's the gun rotation is better and the rudder shift is nice, the ship handles good (better than before) but it's the same old thing, can't take ANY damage of ANY kind, one really needs Survivability Expert but you shouldn't have to.  Worst premium ship I own by a large margin, one that I will likely sell again.  DO NOT be suckered into buying the Indy!

Pete

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,569 battles
On 5/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Since we'll be able to purchase the Indianapolis starting from June 1st, I would like to know how she stacks up compared to the Pensacola. I actually do alright in the Pensacola, averaging a 1.5-1.6 K/D and 43-44k damage. Indianapolis will have one more gun forward but two less guns in the rear, but from what I've seen the firing angles are quite decent. Durability wise I heard she has noticeably better armor than the Pensacola, but does it work that way in practice? Of course I'm not talking about straight up tanking battleship shells, but have you noticed an improvement over the Pensacola when it comes to tanking cruiser shells? Maneuverability wise, have you noticed that she's significantly more sluggish than the Pensacola? As for the guns, do they perform the exact same as Pensacola and NO's?

P.S. I think I'm going to rename her Portland because it would take my mind off of the Indy's tragic fate, plus Portland attained 16 battle stars.

the bottom line for me and my playstyle which leans to aggressive play although not over the top in ships with decent rudder shift to avoid long range shells, the American line past Omaha for me was  boring with no Torps slow everything..the Pesocola was just stupid and the Indianapolis is much the same .. but with radar, which in my opinion is ruining the game

the bright spot for me is the Cleveland with a 6.5 shell reload and decent rudder shift when outfitted that way, fun to play although the loooong shell flight and only 15+ k range upgraded makes it cannon fodder when uptiered

if your into the sneaky go hide behind Island and lob shells down on ships you may be ok .. not for me

65EA14BF-ACB8-408B-A935-5BC7819EAA79.jpeg

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
495 posts
3,653 battles

Had some great Indy games this weekend...getting top tier with so many cruisers in queue.  I try to stick with other ships and look for opportunities where my target is fighting a BB or other cruiser and pound away.  Yeah Indy can’t really take advantage of her radar due to her RoF but remember radar isn’t just for you...gives everyone a chance to shoot at the target.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

If you’re good with the Pensacola, then you should be good with the Indy. I’ve been playing her a lot this week (retraining captains, mostly), and the little buff she got to her rudder helped her a lot, IMO. Her rudder used to be just a bit slow, and that lead me to eating a lot more torpedoes than I would with Pensacola, or getting caught broadside just a bit too often. 

When people say she's durable, that generally means "like a New Orleans". You still need to play smart or die swiftly, but she’s a little less prone to damage than the Pepsi. 

Compared to the NO, she is a bit less agile and a lot less stealthy. 

Shes definitely worth doing the missions for, if you have the time. She'll be a good trainer for USN CAs. 

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles

Indianapolis nothing like the pensacola before the patch.

Pensacola was small and agile.

Indianapolis is bulky and clumsy.

The terrible firing arc on Indianapolis makes it impossible to kite. Sitting too high above water makes her even easier target for sniping BBs.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,784 posts
9,818 battles
On 5/17/2018 at 5:06 AM, sasquatch_research said:

The Indianapolis is garbage; while the guns can do good, the rest of it routinely does not and can not.

My Indy would like to have a word with you. :fish_viking:

j/k ships may click for some players and some will not click 

zpkE9Fl.jpg

They both sluggish in turning, so planning and tactically of where you want to be and what the purposes of getting going to be. Map awareness and if you are under focus fire, do you still want to get to where you wanted to be or change course or what next? are you travel with the pack ?

Indy do well with 1st always travel with other and provide secondary support 1a fire 1b detecting  1c radar 1d AP and fend off other cruiser (AP nasty, almost flat flying comparing to molotov but not as good) 1d if opportunity arise AP the heck into bb

2nd - if not, you are dd hunter, use radar wisely and dont go predictable 

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

Sorry but 59.2K is nothing to write home about for a T7 cruiser.  And this cruiser is NOT a DD hunter by any means.  It can tank bow on even, very little damage, and usually gets focused because everyone knows how bad it is.  If they were decently good, then you would see more of them and you don't.  Even the recent rudder and turret rotation buffs don't help it much; it really need an examination of the armour and/or a HP buff.  Compare the HP of the Indy to the Myoko for example, both shoot same size guns, both heavy cruisers.  Even compare the old Pensacola to the Indy for HP.  

Pete

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

Don't buy her OP, do the missions and get her for free.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,784 posts
9,818 battles
7 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Sorry but 59.2K is nothing to write home about for a T7 cruiser.  And this cruiser is NOT a DD hunter by any means.  It can tank bow on even, very little damage, and usually gets focused because everyone knows how bad it is.  If they were decently good, then you would see more of them and you don't.  Even the recent rudder and turret rotation buffs don't help it much; it really need an examination of the armour and/or a HP buff.  Compare the HP of the Indy to the Myoko for example, both shoot same size guns, both heavy cruisers.  Even compare the old Pensacola to the Indy for HP. 

was not boasting about the damage output in game, it about how to play the Indy to her full potential and fulfil her role. Her routine not as you stated, but she had so many secondary function to take advantage.

The kill I had in the ss, is for dd hunting near end of the game with using radar. The fire I had, I help raining fire on BB/cruisers that charging. I even damaging the cruiser with citadel hits, and of course radar for the team. I even help with capture, travel with the pack help too.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles
9 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

My Indy would like to have a word with you. :fish_viking:

j/k ships may click for some players and some will not click 

zpkE9Fl.jpg

They both sluggish in turning, so planning and tactically of where you want to be and what the purposes of getting going to be. Map awareness and if you are under focus fire, do you still want to get to where you wanted to be or change course or what next? are you travel with the pack ?

Indy do well with 1st always travel with other and provide secondary support 1a fire 1b detecting  1c radar 1d AP and fend off other cruiser (AP nasty, almost flat flying comparing to molotov but not as good) 1d if opportunity arise AP the heck into bb

2nd - if not, you are dd hunter, use radar wisely and dont go predictable 

If a game like that is worth boasting about, then it proves nothing but that the ship is painfully mediocre.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,784 posts
9,818 battles

HLZZ81K.jpg

14 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

If a game like that is worth boasting about, then it proves nothing but that the ship is painfully mediocre.

Let focus on team work, play as part of the team, complete the objective, map awareness, use the ship's arsenals and take advantages, learn the game mechanic and it will be more the just painfully mediocre. 

Again, it come down to personal preferences .... it may not work out well for you, but for other, they find playing her is joyful. For me, the experiences is well worth spent time playing

• Bad 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

"enjoyable" and "good" do not mean the same thing.

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

I sold my POS Indianapolis today (2nd time) after a 41,710K damage game (2nd place on a losing team) after I could BARELY kill a Pensacola that I surprised coming around an island; the AP did so little damage I was surprised.  Took 3 1/2 salvo's to kill him for 21,168 damage but he hurt me enough that it was a kills secure by an enemy BB.  The AP was so lack luster on anything from BB's, to cruisers, and the HE set very few fires, even with a flag.  I finally have had enough of the Indianapolis.  Used the funds to get my Alsace.  If this is what the American heavy cruiser line is like, I will NOT run them at all.

Pete

P.S.  I like the ship handling, decent speed, good rudder shift now, gun rotation is good.  Could not get the guns to work for me, AP or HE, broadside ships of any kind, could not start fires, but the biggest issue is that it CANNOT take ANY damage of any kind and survive.  Bow on and using front guns only won't save you, sitting around islands doesn't help.  I would rather sail the Atlanta by far than the Indy.

Edited by sasquatch_research

Alpha Tester
685 posts
2,774 battles

The Indy is a good premium if you are already a decently good player who already has higher tier cruisers. If you know what you are doing, she performs solid, but she's not slightly OP like other premiums. 

With the US cruiser change, she's one of the most unique ships in that she feels both like a heavy and light cruiser. She doesn't have good DPM or armor or concealment. What makes her fun, but also frustrates people, is that there's no one consistent strategy. You can lob HE, bow tank with AP, rush the caps with DDs, wiggle away... But you have to be situationally aware. 

The Indy would be better if there were more CVs and less BBs though. 

20 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I sold my POS Indianapolis today (2nd time) after a 41,710K damage game (2nd place on a losing team) after I could BARELY kill a Pensacola that I surprised coming around an island; the AP did so little damage I was surprised.  Took 3 1/2 salvo's to kill him for 21,168 damage but he hurt me enough that it was a kills secure by an enemy BB.  The AP was so lack luster on anything from BB's, to cruisers, and the HE set very few fires, even with a flag.  I finally have had enough of the Indianapolis.  Used the funds to get my Alsace.  If this is what the American heavy cruiser line is like, I will NOT run them at all.

I've had that happen in multiple ships though. Sometimes the shells don't hit like it looks like they should, and other times you get 3 citadels and you don't know how. 

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles
2 minutes ago, Carl_the_Cuttlefish said:

The Indy is a good premium if you are already a decently good player who already has higher tier cruisers. If you know what you are doing, she performs solid, but she's not slightly OP like other premiums. 

With the US cruiser change, she's one of the most unique ships in that she feels both like a heavy and light cruiser. She doesn't have good DPM or armor or concealment. What makes her fun, but also frustrates people, is that there's no one consistent strategy. You can lob HE, bow tank with AP, rush the caps with DDs, wiggle away... But you have to be situationally aware. 

The Indy would be better if there were more CVs and less BBs though. 

I've had that happen in multiple ships though. Sometimes the shells don't hit like it looks like they should, and other times you get 3 citadels and you don't know how. 

Hey

Yeah I suck.  I have my Roon and Hindenburg both with 19pt captains and 1/2 my total games played has been in cruisers and do decently with all of them but the Indy has been the biggest disappointment and obviously why keep something that isn't enjoyable, consistent, and is able to be helpful to the team.  Keep in mind I have run the Indy before and hated it before.  The problem is the recent buff to her was not the area's that it needed help, durability was the issue more than ship handling and guns.  I would much rather take the Myoko, Fiji, or the Yorck (I won't add Belfast to that list) over the Indy and have a much better average game day in and day out.

Pete

Alpha Tester
685 posts
2,774 battles
57 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Yeah I suck.  I have my Roon and Hindenburg both with 19pt captains and 1/2 my total games played has been in cruisers and do decently with all of them but the Indy has been the biggest disappointment and obviously why keep something that isn't enjoyable, consistent, and is able to be helpful to the team.  Keep in mind I have run the Indy before and hated it before.  The problem is the recent buff to her was not the area's that it needed help, durability was the issue more than ship handling and guns.  I would much rather take the Myoko, Fiji, or the Yorck (I won't add Belfast to that list) over the Indy and have a much better average game day in and day out.

Pete

I've played mostly US cruisers and I really had a hard time adjusting to the Roon when I got her. The Indy is like a Roon opposite.

She isn't very consistent because there isn't a defined playstyle that consistently works, but I don't think she's bad and I don't really think she needs a damage / HP buff. I've managed to consistently get decent scores, but there's games where I just get demolished, worse than other ships.