You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dionkraft

Flood Compartments

31 comments in this topic

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles

In my LYON I had one lame game in which one enemy was destroyed out of 12 in random. Out team sustain over 50% loss in the meanwhile. Well anyways the interesting point i want to discuss is that my Lyon took one torpedo hit in the rear but yet the flood caused over 60% damage as I was out of repair and heal at that moment. Which brings up the question of Doesn't BB's have flood compartments to minimize the max a torpedo can do?    The most a torpedo could do is to damage the bisection of the wall so it floods two compartments..unless the torp causes an explosion which causes damage to others..but is that how it works?   Another buggy thing was that it was indicated that a DD sunk me with one shell as I was very LOW on HP but it was not shown on the damage report ??   I dunno..seems like a buggy game but never experienced this level of buggy! till now. 

flood-compartments.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

I dunno..seems like a buggy game but never experienced this level of buggy! till now. 

I think the term you're looking for is "buggery".

Torpedoes can do enormous damage, especially the larger ship-borne ones.  Breaching multiple compartments, e.g. by broken piping, is entirely possible.  If pumps are knocked out things can go downhill in a hurry. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,289 battles

I feel like each torp hit that causes flooding should have a lower max damage per flood, agree that a single torp flood would be more contained most of the time 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,555 battles

Individualized compartments do not exist in this game, for easier coding, and easier calculation for damage saturation.

As a result, they had to have something that could damage regardless of saturation, and those are floods and fires.

These compartments though, is why the Damage Control party, is able to stop flooding. Though stopping the flood means that your ship returns to maximum speed, as if the flooding never occurred.

There are trade offs for this arcade game.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
329 posts
4,659 battles

I STiLL want 15+ degrees list, going down by the head or stern (except with 100%hp loss, also capsizing then sinking). We just have movement reduced by X amount while flooded (possibly as a result of water in the electric and boiler rooms)...

put that on the same burner as esplodey turrets during detonation.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
33 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Doesn't BB's have flood compartments to minimize the max a torpedo can do? 

NOT a simulator, an arcade game, which requires BALANCE; you were balanced.

• Cool 2

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I feel like using a cross section of the Titanic was a poor choice to illustrate watertight compartments.

• Funny 4

[XBRTC]
Members
1,422 posts
7,448 battles
40 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Another buggy thing was that it was indicated that a DD sunk me with one shell as I was very LOW on HP but it was not shown on the damage report ??   I dunno..seems like a buggy game but never experienced this level of buggy! till now. 

It's not actually a bug, believe it or not.

It's a game mechanic that's semi rare, but it can happen, and it's not shown on the detailed report page.

It's called a near miss.

HE rounds have a blast radius. HE bombs do as well. If they miss your ship but you're within the blast radius, you can still take damage, even though the round does not count as a hit either on you or for the person who fired it. The guy who killed you would have seen a thing on his screen that shows you were killed with X amount of damage, but zero hits. 

I say that it's semi-rare, but getting damage from near misses is fairly common. It's getting the kill from it that's semi-rare, and getting the kill from it without having done any other damage to the ship in that battle? That's exceptionally rare. I've only managed to get a kill this way one time out of... hell, once in 5000+ battles.

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
6 minutes ago, _Luna said:

I feel like using a cross section of the Titanic was a poor choice to illustrate watertight compartments.

AND you are most right in that observation !  I was looking for some drawing but I could not for the life of me come up with something QUICK!  And not complex as some were with multi cross section flood compartments.   But thank you anyways.

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
6 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

It's not actually a bug, believe it or not.

It's a game mechanic that's semi rare, but it can happen, and it's not shown on the detailed report page.

It's called a near miss.

HE rounds have a blast radius. HE bombs do as well. If they miss your ship but you're within the blast radius, you can still take damage, even though the round does not count as a hit either on you or for the person who fired it. The guy who killed you would have seen a thing on his screen that shows you were killed with X amount of damage, but zero hits. 

I say that it's semi-rare, but getting damage from near misses is fairly common. It's getting the kill from it that's semi-rare, and getting the kill from it without having done any other damage to the ship in that battle? That's exceptionally rare. I've only managed to get a kill this way one time out of... hell, once in 5000+ battles.

Thanks for your explanation as that really clears up a lot of what happen. it was confusing as I had never experience such a event as you detailed.  Bad enough the game was so lopsided but I getting the 'mystery package' was not something I expected.  LOL! 

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
23 minutes ago, Umikami said:

NOT a simulator, an arcade game, which requires BALANCE; you were balanced.

yeah its a ARCADE game but a arcade game with lots of simulator type statistics you have to agree right?   But as you said..there has to be some BALANCE in its implementation but in the end on this game..I was BOUNCED instead LOL!  Thanks

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
28 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

I STiLL want 15+ degrees list, going down by the head or stern (except with 100%hp loss, also capsizing then sinking). We just have movement reduced by X amount while flooded (possibly as a result of water in the electric and boiler rooms)...

put that on the same burner as esplodey turrets during detonation.

Funny you mentioned that..yeah when flooded in fore or aft compartments the ship trim is affected and you could be looking up or down because of it.  NOW that would be a interesting mechanic as well as flooding should slow the ship down considerable.  But..I dunno..maybe too complex to implement.

I'd like to see on the screen a water line going up as your being flooded with small wavy ripples and maybe some bubbles to indicate your sinking...and also blurry gauges at the bottom...second thought..THATS too real!  

• Cool 1

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
46 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Individualized compartments do not exist in this game, for easier coding, and easier calculation for damage saturation.

As a result, they had to have something that could damage regardless of saturation, and those are floods and fires.

These compartments though, is why the Damage Control party, is able to stop flooding. Though stopping the flood means that your ship returns to maximum speed, as if the flooding never occurred.

There are trade offs for this arcade game.

You are right - always some trade off to game programming indeed.   But you know this game is becoming more and more complex..there is some line where we cross and become a semi-simulator of sorts don't you think ??  i think its going toward that direction in my opinion. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,555 battles
Just now, dionkraft said:

You are right - always some trade off to game programming indeed.   But you know this game is becoming more and more complex..there is some line where we cross and become a semi-simulator of sorts don't you think ??  i think its going toward that direction in my opinion.

Until they remove Radar and Hydro's ability to penetrate islands, I will never consider this game a semi-simulator.

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
54 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I feel like each torp hit that causes flooding should have a lower max damage per flood, agree that a single torp flood would be more contained most of the time 

I was thinking the same thing too..Maybe the repair party stops the flood and your speed is reduced ( a little ) is a good trade off to have some 'Balance ' in regards to damage and game playability. Sure it will take more programming but what the hey...right?

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
2 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Until they remove Radar and Hydro's ability to penetrate islands, I will never consider this game a semi-simulator.

On those items I totally agree.  I am sure that WOW can make islands barriers so as not to detect behind them but me thinks its not a important game function. In fact I am going to say that it may create a protect for those rely on its function as it is now. Same situation with the SMOKE mechanic.

Just like SMOKE - it got modified so that it had a semblance of being more fair to the ones who did not have smoke and countering it with new detection nerfs to placate the complainers.  I still think it need more modifications but thats another story. But getting back, Hydro and Radar should be more in tune to reality of detection.  Exception would be of course a spotter plane but its detection must be it flies close to and around the island or over it to detect a enemy not in the line of sight. 

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I think the term you're looking for is "buggery".

Torpedoes can do enormous damage, especially the larger ship-borne ones.  Breaching multiple compartments, e.g. by broken piping, is entirely possible.  If pumps are knocked out things can go downhill in a hurry. 

YOU are right..I went down in hurry with no heal and repair..was a terrible game of desperation and nothing I could do about it!!  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
26 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

you have to agree right?

No, this game is much more arcade than it is realism. Enhanced hit percentages, repairs during battles, radar and hydro that see through islands, unlimited torps, unrealistic acceleration and deceleration, unrealistic ramming, carriers that cannot detonate ... the list goes on and on. The ONLY thing in this game that is even marginally realistic are the ships, and even they have been tweaked, or in some cases just plain made up, for gaming purposes.

31 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

I was BOUNCED instead LOL!

Whatever you want to call it, you have been well gamed.

Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
27 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Thank you - that was some interesting reading on the report of the torpedo damage inflicted. Was also interesting on how the propeller drive shaft had inflicted secondary damage to to cause even more problems.   Those damage pictures show one heck of a mess below decks. And also the diagram was a nice addition as well.  

canberra-torp.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I see an Incapacitation (or Fire) ribbon with no accompanying Hit ribbon fairly frequently.  Wondered what that was about. 

The thing is, if there's no hit on the vessel, what set off the shell?  Water is the only other thing around...

[XBRTC]
Members
1,422 posts
7,448 battles
8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I see an Incapacitation (or Fire) ribbon with no accompanying Hit ribbon fairly frequently.  Wondered what that was about. 

The thing is, if there's no hit on the vessel, what set off the shell?  Water is the only other thing around...

ding-ding-ding-ding.

Water is not an especially soft thing when you hit it at high velocity.

Members
4,561 posts
6,492 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

No, this game is much more arcade than it is realism. Enhanced hit percentages, repairs during battles, radar and hydro that see through islands, unlimited torps, unrealistic acceleration and deceleration, unrealistic ramming, carriers that cannot detonate ... the list goes on and on. The ONLY thing in this game that is even marginally realistic are the ships, and even they have been tweaked, or in some cases just plain made up, for gaming purposes.

Whatever you want to call it, you have been well gamed.

Very arcady...I agree. Arcadish. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
329 posts
4,659 battles

Another thought - WoTs, you can drown your tank by being too slow to get out of a water body. Obviously the tank orientation changes going in and coming out - sooo.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Back in Alpha, flooding affected a stat called Bouyancy, which was separate from HP-- flooding didn't affect your health at all, but your bouyancy running out would sink you.

People hated it.