You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rpkscout1

Kagero Torpedo Reload Booster

19 comments in this topic

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Is the torpedo reload booster beneficial to the play of the Kagero?

I know that when using it you cannot have access to smoke, making it harder to cap. What's the correct play style when using this?

Thanks in advance,

Rpkscout1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles

Don't need smoke to contest a cap. 16 torpedoes within 8 seconds of each other, is extremely powerful. You need to be far more cautious with your detection range. 5.4km is lovely, able to detect all but IJN DDs before they spot you, making it easier for you to keep your distance. Most of the time, the enemy has smoke, and will smoke up, so they provide your concealment pretty much for you.

I haven't worked with TBR enough to really get all the nuances of using it over smoke, so I really can't help outside of what I read from someone else.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles

If you really know your destroyers and can work your detection range do you really need smoke  If all you do is launch torpedoes:cap_yes: 

But if you like to shoot your guns or if you're caught and are run down by faster DD without support you doomed

Edited by silverdahc

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
9 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Don't need smoke to contest a cap. 16 torpedoes within 8 seconds of each other, is extremely powerful. You need to be far more cautious with your detection range. 5.4km is lovely, able to detect all but IJN DDs before they spot you, making it easier for you to keep your distance. Most of the time, the enemy has smoke, and will smoke up, so they provide your concealment pretty much for you.

I haven't worked with TBR enough to really get all the nuances of using it over smoke, so I really can't help outside of what I read from someone else.

Well... eh without support and you find yourself in a 1v1 with akizuki/benson/kiev/any tier 9/10 dd and your doomed since you will have zero escape

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
2 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Well... eh without support and you find yourself in a 1v1 with akizuki/benson/kiev/any tier 9/10 dd and your doomed since you will have zero escape

Even with smoke, if you don't have support, you're pretty much a goner. More so when smoke is on cooldown when you're caught.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
7 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

There was that one time I gunned down a full health Shima in my Kagero when I was full health as well. We both took each other out! Don't they have the same guns? Gotta do some research myself.

edit: After extensive research (2 min), I have concluded that Kagero guns are slightly worse than Shima guns. Shima guns have a 1.3 sec better reload than a Kagero. Weird that I beat the Shima in that gun fight. I must have had better aim/RNG.

Edited by Rpkscout1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
22 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

There was that one time I gunned down a full health Shima in my Kagero when I was full health as well. We both took each other out! Don't they have the same guns? Gotta do some research myself.

edit: After extensive research (2 min), I have concluded that Kagero guns are slightly worse than Shima guns. Shima guns have a 1.3 sec better reload than a Kagero. Weird that I beat the Shima in that gun fight. I must have had better aim/RNG.

Aim and RNG are the factors in a gun fight, any gun fight. Though having faster reload, certainly does help.

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
12,115 battles

After trying all the Jap Dd's that have reload I have found that I don't like using it. The main reason is every enemy dd is faster and many cruisers will run you down also. Add to that you no longer can smoke friendly support ships and the reload is just not worth it to me. With the huge amount of radar, hydro, and spotter planes in the game now and the occasional cv showing up smoke has been a lifesaver many times while reload just puts more easy to spot and dodge torps out.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,445 battles
4 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Aim and RNG are the factors in a gun fight, any gun fight. Though having faster reload, certainly does help.

Don't underestimate steady nerves, either, because that's as big a factor as anything. Playing some of these botes with theoretically subpar guns (Kagero, Asashio, Kamakaze, Shimakaze to an extent) it seems like the smart play is to try and run... but it's really not. You'll just get chased down and murdered before you can break contact. If you have steady enough nerves and don't panic, you can frequently either get the kill or force the other DD to disengage first, because those 5"/50's hit hard. Either one makes it much easier for you go break contact yourself.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles
30 minutes ago, Lone_Starr said:

After trying all the IJN Dd's that have reload I have found that I don't like using it. The main reason is every enemy dd is faster and many cruisers will run you down also. Add to that you no longer can smoke friendly support ships and the reload is just not worth it to me. With the huge amount of radar, hydro, and spotter planes in the game now and the occasional cv showing up smoke has been a lifesaver many times while reload just puts more easy to spot and dodge torps out.

You may want to choose a different word, such as IJN, to describe the DDs.  The one you originally chose has definitely been identified as an issue.

More on topic, it is interesting that no one has mentioned smoking up team mates.  I actually thought that was the primary reason my DDs carried smoke.  Secondary is to use it for emergency escape.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[-TXT-]
Members
348 posts
9,581 battles

Smoking teammate means nothing now. Because they all shoot in smoke and get detected. No to mention that Smoke it a torp magnet. or  getting radar.hydro in smoke. I wish that all IJn dd has the chose of the reload booster, I would never take smoke

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
37 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

You may want to choose a different word, such as IJN, to describe the DDs.  The one you originally chose has definitely been identified as an issue.

More on topic, it is interesting that no one has mentioned smoking up team mates.  I actually thought that was the primary reason my DDs carried smoke.  Secondary is to use it for emergency escape.

I usually don't smoke up BBs on the team because they'll just fire and get detected all over again (I'm guilty of this also). If I have a DD carrying smoke, the only time I drop it on teammates is when they're close enough (ex. DDs & CAs/CLs).

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles
1 minute ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I usually don't smoke up BBs on the team because they'll just fire and get detected all over again (I'm guilty of this also). If I have a DD carrying smoke, the only time I drop it on teammates is when they're close enough (ex. DDs & CAs/CLs).

Yep, the only time I smoke up a BB now is to give them a chance to escape or heal - if they are smart enough to go silent and take advantage of it.  It is useful for the cruisers that sometimes follow as support.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
8 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Yep, the only time I smoke up a BB now is to give them a chance to escape or heal - if they are smart enough to go silent and take advantage of it.  It is useful for the cruisers that sometimes follow as support.

I did forget to add, that I do sometimes smoke up a BB when they ASK for it. Sometimes they're humble enough not to fire and to just sit there and heal up or escape.

Edited by Rpkscout1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,106 posts
1 hour ago, ExploratorOne said:

There are two kinds of battleships when it comes to smoke: those you smoke, who sail out of it while cursing you for doing it, and those who curse you for not smoking them since it is on cooldown because they didn't support you, and you had to use it to escape the red DDs, whose team did support them.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

TRB is awesome, I use the Yugimo a bit with it and I would never go back to having smoke, even if a cv is in the game.  The amount of damage you can do in a short period of time is fantastic.

Yes you have to always be mindful of your concealment range, but that is part of any IJN DD play anyway, coupled with RPF as a captain skill you can catch people off guard from the get go.

I highly recommend using it if you have got it.

Takes a little while to get used to running without smoke, as that was always your way of escape, after a while you will wonder why you didn't swap to use it earlier

I can only wish they put it on the shima one day lol..

Beta Testers
1,415 posts

Reload booster is a great trade for smoke. As an IJN DD you're boned no matter what if another DD (non-IJN) spots you and decided you need to go down.

Using reload booster is best used in three situations:

1- Battle start saturation of known transit/bottlenecks/hiding spots. Aka, battle starts and you hit the reload booster to skip almost a whole minute of reload time so you can get fish in the water quicker. When Kagero was tier 9 I used to get tons of kills of DDs rushing to caps and BBs rushing to camping locations this way.

2- When at close range with a BB..its coming straight at you and you are still stealthed... but BB keeps its nose to you... you fire both launchers in a half-overlap over each other (so BB's nose area is most likely to get hit by more than 1 torp)... and hit the reload booster.. and rush him so that you're sailing parallel to his hull at close range (so guns cant depress to hit you). When near his nose break away from him and fire torps at min arm range as you peel off. This is where engine boost comes in handy.

3- When fighting another DD you can fire both launchers in wide spread at his predicted route, hit the reload booster and engine boost and RUSH the DD following your torps.. firing guns as you go. Keep nose towards target all the time. You will notice when that DD spots your torps because it will break off shooting and dodge torps..that's when you take your chance and TURN and peel off firing your 2nd set of torps... by now you should be inside 4km range. You either hit the DD with that 2nd torp salvo or you die. IJN guns will never defeat a mediocrely piloted non-IJN DD.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

Get RDF to compensate for the lack of smoke. It helps you avoiding unpleasant surprise encounter with other DDs.

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles

If you're contesting a cap with smoke, you'll have problems for one of two reasons:

1) If you are the only friendly DD contesting the cap, staying in the smoke may allow you to stay alive longer but you won't be spotting the targets that caused you to smoke in the first place. You're also extremely vulnerable to being torps because your torp detection range is absolutely terrible while in smoke.

1b) Radar makes smoke completely irrelevant and the tiers where TRB is available, radar is extremely common. Radar actually makes smoke more dangerous than no smoke, because you make different tactical decisions with smoke vs without.

2) If you smoke to break contact and leave the smoke, you are in an only marginally better situation because the smoke can be used for dead reckoning of your last known position, and if you were still stealthed, they now have a clue as to where you are (versus without, where they have absolutely no idea other than that you're somewhere in the other half of the cap).

Smoke only makes sense as a defensive measure to temporarily escape plane detection or to screen your escape after you've been spotted (i.e lay smoke and go at full away from combat), but that has nothing to do with taking caps. In fact it's only useful if you expect to LEAVE caps in a hurry. You don't really escape plane detection either, unless someone shoots down the planes for you before the smoke times out.

As for TRB, laying down more torps isn't necessarily about the damage. You can use the torps to make BBs turn away, to misdirect enemy DDs (you can throw torps ineffectively within view of an enemy and make a U-turn, to make them think that you're coming from a different direction than you are, while still being able to quickly have torps on standby for DDs that you actually encounter), or you can use them to saturate a lane at a crucial moment.

• Cool 1