You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Is Fiji good?

54 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,020 posts

i don't get it, how the 152mm AP deal with BB if they can't fire? only hit superstructure?

Edited by Happy668
  • Funny 1

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Yes, you have to hit superstructure, but it's not that bad. British cruisers have special AP shells. Fiji is very good, probably one of the best non premium tier 7 cruisers. 

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

I find Fiji to be almost as good as Belfast.  Fiji has torps and repair instead of radar and HE, but she is still darned nasty.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
5 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i don't get it, how the 152mm AP deal with BB if they can't fire? only hit superstructure?

Yes The Fiji is Good

TdT4dmE.png

cewoMdd.png

RS2IstQ.png

[HINON]
Supertester
19,209 posts
12,740 battles

Fiji is very good, but requires a smart captain who understands his ship and the game to function to its potential.

• Cool 1

[AR]
[AR]
Members
316 posts
11,844 battles

British cruisers have optimized AP shells that more easily allow me to deal damage to battle ships. You fire at everything on the deck. It is possible to citadel a North Caroline from 12.5km away, given the right conditions. Not likely to happen but it does occur from time to time.

[-THOR]
Members
589 posts
3,242 battles

Fiji's AP shells have a shorter fuse so you don't over-pen the superstructure

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles
26 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

It's basically the same as if you used any 152 mm gun with IFHE only the AP may have slightly better pen. And like IFHE especially with the rate of fire, it can eat a BB alive unless it has some angle that even the super is bouncing rounds. That and a mid rage cruiser broadside to smoke assuming it's the DD will regret it fast if your aim is on point. Rapidly rake the thing with citadel hits. They play kinda like DD's with citadels but they can be terrifying. That and going up the tiers you get the lol's of if built right, Edi for sure and if my math is right Minotaur, having a narrow gap where they can actually stealth torp like a DD. Exploited that a few times on Edi and the red team thought they were chasing the DD.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Fiji is my favorite cruiser in the entire game. We had a rocky start as I had to tame my early game aggression, but the guns are accurate enough to hit whatever you want within 12km. Beyond that range, they seem to lose a lot of velocity. If the battleship isn't bow on, I can usually land enough hits to take of 4-5k per salvo on average. With the rate of fire of the guns, that's pretty decent.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

Damage farmer, inferior to Leander. Good if you like that sort of thing.

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,279 battles
44 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

British cruisers have optimized AP shells that more easily allow me to deal damage to battle ships. You fire at everything on the deck. It is possible to citadel a North Caroline from 12.5km away, given the right conditions. Not likely to happen but it does occur from time to time.

Yep, I've done exactly that in the Fiji. A few days go I did the same to a Montana using the Minotaur at about 10km.

Members
1,301 posts
21,070 battles
19 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Fiji is my favorite cruiser in the entire game.

Me too.  Fiji and Leander are the gems of the line.  Both are extreme DD killers.  They terrorize cruisers and BB too. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,020 posts

CA's fire is like BB's citadel, without it, Fiji will lose big chunk of damage

but since everyone says it's good, i'd give it a try since it's on sale now

[RLGN]
Members
8,250 posts
17,264 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Fiji is very good, but requires a smart captain who understands his ship and the game to function to its potential.

Thus; not me. My personal experience with Fiji was entirely negative. The only thing I hated more was Leander.

38 minutes ago, mofton said:

...which was inferior to Emerald; (to me; but apparently not to everyone else;) thus making Fiji doubly bad.

Finally had enough of Leander’s either overpenning or doing no damage at all stupidity, and sold it, Fiji, and Eddy, all in one fell swoop.

Ironically, I like Perth...

[WOLF1]
Members
2,020 posts
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Thus; not me. My personal experience with Fiji was entirely negative. The only thing I hated more was Leander

lol, when i drive leander, the biggest problem is range is way too short, you need to get up close and at that distance, BB can easily delete her, it was a pain

Fiji does get 2km extra range, i think that might help a lot

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles

Fiji is an amazing ship in the RN CL Line.  She is absolutely one of the highlight ships of that Line, for some, THE Highlight Ship.  She sits in Tier VII, while Minotaur, though an excellent ship in her own right, is in Tier X where things are a bit more... Difficult.

Fiji's shells against BBs?  Superstructure, go for that, but bow on BBs, you'll get a lot of non-pens, bounces.  If you "aim lower in the superstructure" on a bow on, well angled BB, you'll hit the turrets and you'll do nothing against those.

This is the nature of all Tech Tree RN CLs.  Even Minotaur's shells behave like this.  Position is EVERYTHING for an RN CL, as proper position gives them a great game.  The ROF is punishing even to a BB if you catch their sides and start ripping them with AP into the superstructure sides.  Their HP will drop, fast.

But where the RN CL AP shells are best in?  Smashing Destroyers.  IMO they are the best shells above Tier V to smash DDs.  Others have to rely on low damage HE, or AP shells that will likely overpen.  But RN CL AP shells have the short arming fuse and USN Cruiser Bounce Angles, so they are absolutely devastating to a DD.  You get pens, pens, and moar pens against Destroyers.

I hope Fiji owners got her perma-camo during that ultra-rare perma-camo sale.  She is an absolutely deserving ship of that kind of lavish gift.

Edit:  I also have this image from the last Tier VII Ranked Season, right about when it ended.

DAzDYie.jpg

The reason the CVs are highlighted were because it was for a thread when someone asked if Hiryu was viable for Ranked (she was, look at that WR% LOL).  But as you can see, Fiji did very well.  If Tier VII were to have happened instead of the current VIII / X like what's going on now, I firmly believe Fiji would still turn out a good performance.  Everybody was whining about Belfast, but her cousin, Fiji, was quietly putting in a stellar show.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

Is Fiji good? Is a bean green?

Fiji is an absolute beast of s ship. It's AP deals good damage to BB's. Just aim for the upper hull where it meets the deck and/or super structure.+

One of my favorite ships in the game overall.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

HUH??? :Smile_amazed:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

Me too.  Fiji and Leander are the gems of the line.  Both are extreme DD killers.  They terrorize cruisers and BB too. 

Minotaur is a gem as well. It melts DD's even faster than the other 2. IMO it is a toss up between Fiji and Minotaur as to which is the best overall in the line? Leander is probably 3rd.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles
12 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

TLDR:  Fiji is a far stronger, powerful ship than Leander.  But Leander's stealth plays into the 2 metas that determine who wins.

Where Leander really excels is in stealth.  RN CLs after Tier VI Leander aren't as stealthy as her until... Tier X Minotaur.  I learned late in my time with Leander during the grind, that she plays the caps very well and can be a nightmare to Destroyers.  Her stealth is so good that she can sail fairly close to friendly DDs and not get easily spotted like Tier VII-IX RN CLs do.  Leander can sail a bit behind the DDs, and when the DDs find enemy DDs, Leander can open up and cause havoc.  Better yet, Leander of course has smoke to protect her, because it's very likely Non-Division team DDs won't drop smoke for her.

The last thing with Leander's stealth is that it's so good, that with proper gamesmanship, the Leander player can stealth cap quite safely, something Fiji and the VII-IX RN CLs have a hard time doing.  Mind you, Edinburgh is very stealthy (9km with Stealth Build) but she sees a lot of Radar and super-stealthy DDs, and the longest ranged, deadliest torpedoes if she tries to camp in smoke in a cap.  Anyways, Leander in Tier VI Ranked often filled in as a "DD" to do Capping Duty when the DDs have died off.  Perth did the same.

Tier VII-IX RN CLs cannot creep with the DDs like Leander and Minotaur can.  This is why I believe Mofton said what he said.  Leander affects the DD & Cap Meta, and therefore is a high impact ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles
13 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Leander has the concealment and tools to move up with and support your destroyers, engage or disengage pretty freely.

Fiji's a pretty slight upgrade on everything except firepower, but loses out on the concealment. Fiji encourages people to smoke up and farm broadside battleships, taking out the least important and intelligent people on the red team.Tier for tier, I think Leander is more impactful and a better ship.

2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier VII-IX RN CLs cannot creep with the DDs like Leander and Minotaur can.  This is why I believe Mofton said what he said.  Leander affects the DD & Cap Meta, and therefore is a high impact ship.

Pretty much this!

Edited by mofton
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles
1 hour ago, Carniolan said:

Imagine how good Fiji was when you could hide in smoke...

You still can, just not at very short but still beyond the auto detection distance that everything was getting. The British CL's were the least impacted of all the cruisers with the change to smoke.