You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

What is a good cruiser line from Tier 7 to grind

26 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

Looking for another country cruiser line to grind.  I have up to Tier 9 for US Cruisers.  I have currently have in port Japanese, Russian, English, and German Tier 6 and/or Tier 7 ships.  Which is a good country to grind??  It is my goal to focus on only one country to grind, one ship at a time.  I am leaning towards either Russian or German line.  So what would you recommend and why?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,845 posts
11,558 battles

I like German cruisers, there are some rough spots but they are good overall, and the Hindenburg is a great final goal, amazing ship.

Personally not a fan of the IJN or RN cruisers, the VMF cruisers are nice, though the t9 never clicked with me.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,323 battles

German and Japanese are both awesome.

[VFW]
Members
940 posts
21,224 battles

German, Japanese, French, then Russian...my opinion.

vr,

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,454 posts
11,762 battles

German.

Hindenburg is extremely effective in Clan and Ranked.

And it' a fun ship to play.

Members
9,975 posts

Sorry, but everyone has an opinion, and they are all wrong....:Smile_teethhappy:

RU Stalinium rules all. 

That being said, no one can pick a line for you, because one size does NOT fit all. What suits some players won't fit others....If you're up to tier 6 in them, you should have some idea of what works for you by now..

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles

Another vote for the German line. Hipper is now a fun bote, Roon has always been stronk and Hindenburg is just a great bote all around. Not saying the Russian line is bad, but honestly, I found it a bit meh.

[WPP]
Members
517 posts
5,464 battles

I’ve heard “the best Russian Cruisers are in the DD line” more than once.  Go German. Or Russian DDs I suppose.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

I grinded both the German and Russian cruiser lines in the past year, both are excellent.

tier by tier:

tier 6: Budyonny > Nurnburg -   both are good gunships but Nurnburg gets deleted too easily.

tier 7: Shchors > Yorck -   Shchors wins on top-notch gunnery but Yorck is underrated ship(more survivable and versatile).

tier 8: Chapayev = Hipper -   I did not love either, but Chappy has radar and Hipper just got buffed.

tier 9: Roon > Donskoi -   Roon is more well-rounded and plays like junior Hindy, Donskoi has radar but plays more like the Chappy than the tier 10.

tier 10: Hindy > Moskva -   Both are superb though IMO,  Moskva has a more specialized playstyle(and is unlike the rest of the line FWIW) but the Hindy can do it all(brawl/snipe/flank etc.)and might be the most versatile ship in the game.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

Really like the Charles Martel.  Just got Henri IV and the more i learn how to use her, the better I like her.  Also like La Glass Cannon on De Grasse.  One vote for the French line.

Members
2,393 posts
7,710 battles

Ive done the IJN, russian and German lines. The German line is probably the easiest to grind of those three, and Hindenburg is probably the best all round T10 cruiser atm. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,858 posts
10,641 battles

Depends on how you like to play? Stand off and use concealment and islands to spam HE go IJN or Russian. Prefer to play more mid range or even contest caps and such go German or BRN. French are kind of in between the 2. A little of both. Hard to say as don't know your preferred playstyle. You say leaning towards German or Russian. Of those 2 I would go German. Betetr ships on the way to T10 and better T10 once there.

I have Hindenburg, Des Moines, and Minotaur. At T8 in the others. Probably will go Russian (only because I want Moskva which is 100% different than the rest of the line which doesn't do much for me), French, and finally IJN (my least favorite line).

Best of luck OP.

[WOLF5]
Members
277 posts
5,219 battles

British.  It has the most options available to it since you can play PvP and all scenarios in PvE too.  The operation Hermes requires T7 cruisers from France, US or UK.

360 posts
194 battles

Adding another suggestion for the German line. Hipper just got a buff, and the Hindenburg is the best payoff ship at Tier 10.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

For me, and I jump around a lot. I would also vote for the German Line. 

[_CIA_]
Members
352 posts
2,109 battles

Looking forward to the split in the U.S. cruisers. Until then, I have enjoyed the German and French.

[CAFE]
Members
59 posts
8,198 battles

They both are great actually.

Depends on your playstyle, if you are thinking of semi battleship like, then go for Moskva. Hindenburg is a play maker like, and you could do anything with it. ( but no radar sadly )

[RST]
[RST]
Members
171 posts
14,927 battles

For a challenge. I loved the British line. They have weekend armor, but have an interesting utility factor. With smoke, torpedoes and heals it is a defensive play through. 

If you want a strong ships to play. Getting pass the tier 7 the German and Russians have the stronger ships. Radar with Russians and Hydro acoustics with the German. Both have strong tier 9 ships and both have mini BB style tier 10.

I am a IJN player first and got all those tier 10 ships (other than CV) first. then did the US and British.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

My thanks to all for your comments.  There will be much navel (as in belly button) contemplation along with the consumption of massive amounts of adult beverages until I am able to either stand and walk or make a decision (based upon the massive amount of adult beverages consumed) or I wake up on the floor with a massive hangover (based upon the massive amount of adult beverages consumed).  So, either way, I win?  Shhhh!  Just don't tell my wife!  Execution will begin at dawn!

I struggle to get a good game with the Yorck, but I get regulatory good games with the Budyonny.  I have had great sucess with Brit Tier 6 and 7 cruisers,  so it is either Russian or British.  I struggle with the Aoba, so the IJN is probably out.  So it may be the British tech tree.  Too bad, Texas does not have their own tech tree! One more to go, and I get the De Moines (first Tier 10!!!).  Then will probably focus on the British line.

Again, thinks to all for your comments.  Unlike politicians, I do listen to what others have to say....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles

Well, past Tier VII, the Cruiser Lines start getting very defined from each other.  All the Cruiser Lines at these tiers are very good, but for different reasons.

These 4 Lines are similar in that they're Long Ranged Performers, but with some differences.

Spoiler

IJN at high tier is still very good due to having great concealment.  Their guns aren't as fast as the Germans, but the power of IJN shells are still high impact, regardless of HE, AP.  IJN CA HE shells have very high raw damage and excellent fire chance.  Tier VIII-IX, they're very good in fighting retreats because they have the stealth to just keep out of detection range and use their 10km torps to drop into the faces of pursuers.  IJN Cruisers are at their best when kiting, very nasty ships.  People may not talk about Zao at Tier X as much anymore, but rest assured, her stealth and gun power is still a force to be reckoned with.  That combo still makes her a very unique X CA compared to every other peer at that tier.  Zao has excellent stealth and her guns are still deadly, regardless of range.  Hindenburg, Moskva, Henri IV have firepower just as good as Zao, but Zao with her stealth can actually easily control her engagements, unlike the those 3 other ships with mediocre to terrible concealment.  However, IJN CAs still have weak AA in general.  Zao gets a lot better but it's nothing like a DM or anything like that.

German?  From Hipper on, the line get pretty good.  27mm bows start from Tier VIII, meaning you can face tank shells 15" / 380mm or smaller.  In the right kind of scenario, this is decisive as you can charge someone, bounce their shells, and give them a ton of torps for their troubles.  From Tier IX-X, the base reload time of the guns is a very nice 10 seconds.  With MBM3, that drops to 8.8 seconds.  This is important because German Cruiser HE shells have abysmal raw damage and mediocre fire chances.  But with fast shooting guns, you can land fires pretty well due to the higher tempo of the guns.  Also a while back, WG buffed German Cruiser Guns to have extra HE penetration values.  Basically all German Cruisers got a "Free IFHE, but with zero fire chance penalty."  The zenith of the line is the much loved Hindenburg.  Her protection makes her extraordinarily tough to citadel in a short ranged fight.  She has 12 spammy 203mm guns.  She has access to the best Hydro in the game, packs lots of 6km torps per side, and is also a candidate for an AA Build if you so choose.  She's very flexible.  A characteristic of these high tier German CAs is that everything, from their guns, torpedoes, protection schemes, and the best Hydro each tier, let them handle pretty well in a short ranged knife fight.  Regarding AA, German CAs start getting good from Tier VIII on, and only get better.  These are actually good candidates for AA Build, but realize that to slot Defensive Fire you have to drop the great German Hydro.

Russian Cruisers at High Tier are Radar Cruisers.  Chapayev on, they feature powerful, long ranged Radar, but they don't last as long as, say, USN Radar.  All RU Cruisers emphasize range, dabbling in a short ranged fight can be disastrous.  Yet at the same time, a clever RU Cruiser player in these tiers can greatly upset the DD / Cap Meta if they push and use Radar at the right time, location.  In general, these Cruisers are pretty flimsy, hence why they prefer the long ranged fight.  Moskva is pretty tanky bow on, but she still can get overmatched.  However, Moskva has VERY NICE GUNS with shells that fly ridiculously fast and have low arcs.  Concealment for Tier IX-X goes from Bad to Really F--king Bad.  Torpedoes?  Chapyev's are uselessly short, Dmitri Donskoi FINALLY gives the RU Cruiser player with useful torps going out to 8km, and when you get Tier X, you have no torps.  Long range prowess, long range Radar are the hallmarks of High Tier RU Cruisers.  AA capability is mediocre until Tier IX-X, where it can be pretty good.  Not amazing, but it will definitely make you a concern for a CV.

French Cruisers at High Tier?  Honestly, when I look back on them, they seem nothing special.  They prefer fighting at range and in open water, just like most of those other Cruiser Lines I just mentioned.  Their HE shells however can be maddening to their targets.  Good damage value and Fire Chances that rival the high IJN CA ones.  Their HE is very good, AP not as much, but will do the job if the situation is right.  It really doesn't feel like you're doing much, just sailing around speeding with Engine Boost on in open water, spamming HE at some schmuck BBs.  But when you look at your stats later in the match, "Holy sh*t, I did that much damage and fires?"  These ships live for long range and open water to sail fast and maneuver.  A disciplined French Cruiser player playing like that and not falling for short ranged fights, where these ships truly suck at, is a HIGHLY ANNOYING ship to deal with, especially as a BB.  Torpedo power sucks throughout the line, concealment is very meh.  AA at Tier VIII is garbage but IX-X, outstanding if you build for it.  The ships "handle" pretty mediocre but with Engine Boost on, they're godly.  Use that consumable wisely, i.e. for combat.  The Fire Chance I mentioned earlier?  Tier X Henri IV, with DE + the 2 fires camo, has a 26% Fire Chance.  I recall one GK player that I was tormenting, he asked me after I killed him:

GK: "You had me on fire the entire time, what's your fire chance on that thing?"

My Henri IV: "26% with DE and flags.  Sorry man."

GK: "JEEZUS LOL"

The next two ships lines are nothing at all like the others.

Spoiler

High Tier USN CAs are one of those very polarizing lines and very contradictory.  Stealth is good, but IJN & RN are better.  AA however is decent at Tier VIII New Orleans but from IX on, it's Godly.  From Tier IX on, they access SHS / Super Heavy Shells for their AP when upgraded into it.  These are powerful AP shells.  USN CAs also feature a more favorable autobounce angles, so you will get more pens.  However, from Tier IX-X, the shells are very floaty, which can make engaging certain targets at range a problem.  They start Radar access at Tier VIII.  Their Radar is different from RU ones, your range isn't as good but you got longer active time.  Des Moines at Tier X in particular is a candidate to slot Surveillance Radar Mod 1, which takes her 9.9km radar range to have 56 seconds of active time.  FIFTY SIX SECONDS OF RADAR!  Ranged performance is a very "iffy" thing for High Tier USN CAs, but where they are good at is in affecting the Caps, DDs, and Anti-Air duty.  The combination of decent concealment long ranged radar, and AA is an asset around the caps, whether in dealing with enemy DDs there or with backing up friendly DDs while they try to cap.  Find a nearby island and be ready to use Radar against enemy ships in the cap.  Use your AA to drive off aircraft.  This makes the job of your own DDs so much easier, and if your DDs are having an easy time, then your team has a higher chance to win.  That is how USN CAs in these tiers get good.  It's not spamming shells at range, because they're mediocre for that, even with Des Moines' 5.5 second reload.  They affect the Cap & DD Meta, and that is where games are won and lost.

RN CLs at these tiers are a bit of a roller coaster.  They're good ships here but they can be jarringly different.  Edinburgh is Fiji v1.5 stuffed into Tier VIII instead of VII.  She's good, but you will get the feeling that "Fiji v1.5 is starting to be in over her head."  Edinburgh on can mount Radar, which is equivalent to USN Radar, but to do so they must replace their Smoke Generator with it.  Edinburgh in Stealth Build can practically match her Radar Range.  Neptune however has garbage stealth, the worst of RN CLs, and even in stealth build, her Radar range is still a lot lower than her concealment.  Minotaur at X however is super stealthy and is actually a good Radar candidate.  However, she, like Neptune, is super-super-super-squishy.  It's not surprising to get 1-2 shotted, even by a Cruiser if they catch your sides.  Still, at Tier VIII & X, RN CLs are super stealthy.  Tier IX-X, the AA can be very powerful despite not having Defensive Fire.  From Tier IX on, they once again have a very powerful torpedo suite that you lost when you left Emerald.  You have double sets of launchers per side at IX-X, 8 total torps per side at 10km range.  Very useful, abuse it when you can without getting deleted.  RN CL AP characteristics from previous tiers is still the same, it's just at Tier IX-X the shells are more floaty but you shoot faster, especially Minotaur at Tier X.  These ships still rip apart Destroyers.

All the Cruiser Lines are good, just find the style that suits your taste the most.  At Tier X, they are all amazing ships for their own reasons.

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,848 battles

Bias here, but I am going to recommend the British light cruisers.

Get those skills down pat to hide and shoot your ap, angles and torps, every other nations cruisers become easy mode.

[LF]
Members
114 posts
On 5/13/2018 at 1:55 PM, Dr_Powderfinger said:

tier by tier:

tier 6: Budyonny > Nurnburg -   both are good gunships but Nurnburg gets deleted too easily.

tier 7: Shchors > Yorck -   Shchors wins on top-notch gunnery but Yorck is underrated ship(more survivable and versatile).

tier 8: Chapayev = Hipper -   I did not love either, but Chappy has radar and Hipper just got buffed.

tier 9: Roon > Donskoi -   Roon is more well-rounded and plays like junior Hindy, Donskoi has radar but plays more like the Chappy than the tier 10.

tier 10: Hindy > Moskva -   Both are superb though IMO,  Moskva has a more specialized playstyle(and is unlike the rest of the line FWIW) but the Hindy can do it all(brawl/snipe/flank etc.)and might be the most versatile ship in the game.

This is Really excellent information! I was grinding both German and Russian lines, temporarily on hold because of "Hit Hard, Hit Fast." Whenever I finally get Halsey, hope its not 2 years from now, I will be back to working one of these lines. Really torn between the two but leaning toward German.

Members
27 posts
1,093 battles

I'm only at T6 and moving into T7 but I love the Russian line of cruisers.  The Budy's rounds smash into ships, especially at close range, she moves quick, and she has some good range.  I'm just about to the Shchors and I'm excited to be there.  Russian cruisers for the win.