You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LupusMalum

Shatters

12 comments in this topic

[WNNR]
[WNNR]
Members
226 posts
12,951 battles

Has anyone experience high amount of shatters since the last patch. I have noticed that almost 50 percent of my shots are shatters since the last patch.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,087 battles
16 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

Has anyone experience high amount of shatters since the last patch. I have noticed that almost 50 percent of my shots are shatters since the last patch.

No difference for me. What ships are you using? 

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Nothing different to report here. 

You never know though...:fish_nerv:

[WNNR]
[WNNR]
Members
226 posts
12,951 battles

i am using my Zao and Khab, I have noticed that shell that are hitting the hull and the turret are shattering at a  high rate.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
4 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

i am using my Zao and Khab, I have noticed that shell that are hitting the hull and the turret are shattering at a  high rate.

If you have been seeing more Kurfürsts or Yamatos, that would explain it, as both, especially the Germans, have large immunity zones. German CAs and RU CAs both have large immunity zones at T10 too, and virtually no turret on high tier CAs can be penetrated by equal caliber HE, and most turret fronts of those classes to high caliber BB HE.

Khab can only pen high tier CA/BB superstructures, and CL extremities and superstructure, so that is why you are shattering a lot. 

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
4 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

If you have been seeing more Kurfürsts or Yamatos, that would explain it, as both, especially the Germans, have large immunity zones. German CAs and RU CAs both have large immunity zones at T10 too, and virtually no turret on high tier CAs can be penetrated by equal caliber HE, and most turret fronts of those classes to high caliber BB HE.

Khab can only pen high tier CA/BB superstructures, and CL extremities and superstructure, so that is why you are shattering a lot. 

[WNNR]
[WNNR]
Members
226 posts
12,951 battles

thank you for the feedback, how do you know the pen rate on armor. I am interested in learning this skill

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
2 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

thank you for the feedback, how do you know the pen rate on armor. I am interested in learning this skill

All ships but German BBs, CAs, and UK BBs (and maybe Makarov) have 1/6th caliber pen rules, or [caliber in mm*(1/6) rounded]-1 is the max that caliber will pen. The ships that don’t have those pen rules have [caliber in mm*(1/4) rounded]-1, or 1/4 pen rule. IFHE is (1.3/6) or (1.3/4), looking at the in port armor viewer, you can tell you what the armor thicknesses are and where you can penetrate. For example, Zao can penetrate up to and including 33mm of armor with her shells, and Khab up to and including 21mm, but Hindenburg, which has (1/4) pen has up to and including 50mm of penetration on her 203mm guns, which with (1/6) pen, would require 305mm gun caliber.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,358 posts
9,551 battles
20 minutes ago, LupusMalum said:

For normal HE, it's simple. 1/6 the diameter of the shell, for German HE and anyone else that follows those rules, it's 1/4 the diameter of the shell. HE shells can only Penetrate or Shatter (actually explode and fail to damage anything)

for AP rounds, it's complicated. They can Penetrate, Shatter, Ricochet, and Overpen. You've got the overmatch mechanics that will ensure penetration of a big AP shell through a thin armor plate at any angle.

For normal AP penetration, you get to practice your Google-Fu and find where people smarter or more insane that I have calculated this all out for the in game guns and shells, or you can browse NAVWEAPS and get a good idea from the AP charts what a gun will do.

Some ships, like US Navy Cruisers, get better autobounce angles on AP shells, so they will penetrate thin plates at steeper angles than other nations guns.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,358 posts
9,551 battles
4 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

All ships but German BBs, CAs, and UK BBs (and maybe Makarov) have 1/6th caliber pen rules, or [caliber in mm*(1/6) rounded]-1 is the max that caliber will pen. The ships that don’t have those pen rules have [caliber in mm*(1/4) rounded]-1, or 1/4 pen rule. IFHE is (1.3/6) or (1.3/4), looking at the in port armor viewer, you can tell you what the armor thicknesses are and where you can penetrate. For example, Zao can penetrate up to and including 33mm of armor with her shells, and Khab up to and including 21mm, but Hindenburg, which has (1/4) pen has up to and including 50mm of penetration on her 203mm guns, which with (1/6) pen, would require 305mm gun caliber.

You've got it backwards, german HE pen rules are better than the normal HE pen.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
42 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You've got it backwards, german HE pen rules are better than the normal HE pen.

At the beginning I said, “all ships but...” meaning that those ships were the exception, then said what the majority has, then what the exception has. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by GabeTheDespot

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,358 posts
9,551 battles
17 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

At the beginning I said, “all ships but...” meaning that those ships were the exception, then said what the majority has, then what the exception has. :Smile_honoring:

ah