You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nimitz_Zumwalt

How to tank.

18 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
5,024 battles

Noob here,I'm 50/50 bb and Cruiser player, my play style is to tank and get atleast 80k damage per game.Every time I push forward I always ended up being left behind and die.With my crappy stats https://na.warships.today/player/1014778700/Nimitz_Zumwalt I want to improve. .Any advice...Thanks

Edited by Nimitz_Zumwalt
  • Boring 2

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
7 minutes ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

Noob here,I'm 50/50 bb and Cruiser player, my play style is to tank and get atleast 80k damage per game.Every time I push forward I always ended up being left behind and die.With my crappy stats https://na.warships.today/player/1014778700/Nimitz_Zumwalt I want to improve. .Any advice...Thanks

I think your fine, your stats are better than some, more map awareness, so you do not find your self isolated taking all the damage, it pays to pull back.  It's hard I know at times to do this but you have to look at what your team is doing, if they're doing nothing but camping, your SOL, you can only do what you can.

The fact you want to do better, and have asked, you will do better, because the the desire to do so, is there.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,886 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This might help.

Thanks for that link. Good video. BB's are my weak link.

• Cool 1

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

Something that can help is to have a sense of the path the enemies will take related to where you are going and if possible position yourself so you can have a protected turn to get out of the situation, Like an island that you can use for cover while turning so you don’t show broadside.

To often I see bow tanking ships trapped and it’s just inevitable doom.

If you are Bow tanking try to practice some other strategies as bow tanking isn’t really going to work in a lot of circumstances in the higher tiers where cruisers and DD have long range weaponry.

Also try to be aware of the location of DD and adjust your angles so you are not immobile and broadside, adjust speed and tac if crossing open water so you don’t get surprised by a wall of torpedos.

Tanking isn’t really about getting shot at the most and lasting the longest, it’s about being a tough to kill target in very strategic locations where you are pressing or holding, and most of all support DD.  Don’t rely on cruisers, DDs are B.B. best friend.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,430 posts
4,302 battles

If you are in a fight against one other enemy battleship, you can time your withdrawal turn for just AFTER they fire their salvo. Be very careful about doing this when facing a Wyoming or Fuso, because even after they've hit you with six or eight shots, they've still got between four and six shots left. I've made that mistake more than once at low tier, and the Wyoming I thought was empty blapped me for everything.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HATE]
[HATE]
Members
95 posts
9,978 battles

Depending on your ship; check the armor model. 25mm bow armor can bounce 203mm AP, yet eat full overmatch from BB shells. 27mm bow armor can bounce 351mm shells; I.e. Bismarck AP. 32mm can bounce anything but the Yamato AP. My typical tanking advice is to know your armor and what can bounce what. In my Des Moines, occasionally its best to angle your belt armor in stead of side armor. You may eat a citadel from the front bow armor, but you can bounce any BBs AP if you can make it hit the belt armor.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,028 battles

In addition to some of the other advice being listed I have found using Premium Damage Control and Premium Repair Party on BBs really helps. They allow you to put out fires or stop flooding more often, allow you to heal HP more often, and gives you 1 extra HP heal as well. You also want Superintendent Captain skill so you will get the 5th heal on BBs, since  in some long battles where you have tanked a lot you end up burning through all 5 heals.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
306 posts
5,228 battles

:cap_fainting:

calls self noob. Has borderline purple stats and over 4,000 battles.

2 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

Tanking does NOT mean derping into bad guys.  It means putting your ship in a position whee you are the most attractive target for the bad guys.  Those are NOT the same things.

And avoidance tanking is just as effective as sponge tanking.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 2

[TCANS]
Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles
6 hours ago, gmrbull said:

Yeah, I'm pretty amused at the folks taking his humble-brag post as a serious request for advice.  

• Bad 1

Members
40 posts
5,024 battles
13 hours ago, gmrbull said:

Even tho I have 4000 battles,I'm still learning especially when it comes to aiming... That's why I'm asking for an advice how to tank coz I can't hit a crap beyond 16km.

• Boring 2

Members
3,490 posts
6,189 battles
11 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

Even tho I have 4000 battles,I'm still learning especially when it comes to aiming... That's why I'm asking for an advice how to tank coz I can't hit a crap beyond 16km.

That would be rather expected...  It would be easier with a ship that has great dispersion and sigma.  See iChase's youtube video on dispersion.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
On 13/05/2018 at 11:00 PM, gmrbull said:

^^Instead of attempting to have a go at the OP, you could benefit from asking yourself, on some self improvement^^

12 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

There is nothing wrong with a desire to get better at this game, and asking is one way you can.

As far as hitting out past 16km, my only suggestion is watch some of the how to aim videos out there, and try and apply it at the longer ranges so you get an idea of where to hold on a particular ship

Speed, direction, time of flight, what shells to use depending on their angle, and where vulnerable spots are on individual ships, BB mainly, some people still do not know where the citadel on a Cleveland is, so it pays to learn.

All these things in the hands of skilled BB players is why you see some of them with massive average damage stats, they know cause they have learnt, take POPE_SHIZZLE, look at his BB play stats, awesome, you should hit him up. 

He is the type of player you should get/take advice from.

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Boring 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,569 posts
4,439 battles
12 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

That sounds quite normal. It's a bit of a crapshoot at times hitting things beyond those ranges, especially with BB dispersion. I guess you can try to pray harder to RNGesus. Other than that I think it's just a case of practice and repetition.

May I suggest something completely left field and suggest playing DDs? That seems to me to be the next logical step you could take to improve your play. Get a high tier DD, learn their mindset, and this will naturally help you when you are in a BB and CL/CA too.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
40 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

May I suggest something completely left field and suggest playing DDs? That seems to me to be the next logical step you could take to improve your play. Get a high tier DD, learn their mindset, and this will naturally help you when you are in a BB and CL/CA too.

Also you shoot a LOT more meaning your aim will improve faster. 

Members
40 posts
5,024 battles
19 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

^^Instead of attempting to have a go at the OP, you could benefit from asking yourself, on some self improvement^^

There is nothing wrong with a desire to get better at this game, and asking is one way you can.

As far as hitting out past 16km, my only suggestion is watch some of the how to aim videos out there, and try and apply it at the longer ranges so you get an idea of where to hold on a particular ship

Speed, direction, time of flight, what shells to use depending on their angle, and where vulnerable spots are on individual ships, BB mainly, some people still do not know where the citadel on a Cleveland is, so it pays to learn.

All these things in the hands of skilled BB players is why you see some of them with massive average damage stats, they know cause they have learnt, take POPE_SHIZZLE, look at his BB play stats, awesome, you should hit him up. 

He is the type of player you should get/take advice from.

Thanks for the recommendation.That probably help me to compete in T10 matches since there's alot of snipping going on.

Members
40 posts
5,024 battles
20 hours ago, CylonRed said:

That would be rather expected...  It would be easier with a ship that has great dispersion and sigma.  See iChase's youtube video on dispersion.

In my opinion us battleship has the greatest accuracy and penetration of all.I might be wrong  but it feels like it.I have Alabama and so far it was pretty good compare to its counterpart.Izumo was a complete nightmare tho.