You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

USN BB line boredom?

21 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,600 battles

Anyone else feel really board with the Vanilla USN BB line after you play the Germans, French and IJN? I recently bought the Iowa again and after a few days just sort of got bored with it again. Not that it isn't a good tier 9 ship she most certainly is especially compared the tier 9's of the KM and IJN but there is just something uninteresting about that that line. I own the Alabama but hardly use it compared to the amount of time I spend with my other premium ships especially the tirpitz and Musashi. Opinions?

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

It doesnt have gimmicks. KM has secondaries, RN has zombie heal and HE, and French have All-sauce. Still, I love my Bama, Miss, and North Cal

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,122 posts
4,270 battles
4 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

It doesnt have gimmicks. KM has secondaries, RN has zombie heal and HE, and French have All-sauce. Still, I love my Bama, Miss, and North Cal

i though they have the option to mount the improved aiming mod. well the high tiers alway

[TBW]
Members
6,398 posts
12,011 battles
24 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Anyone else feel really board with the Vanilla USN BB line after you play the Germans, French and IJN? I recently bought the Iowa again and after a few days just sort of got bored with it again. Not that it isn't a good tier 9 ship she most certainly is especially compared the tier 9's of the KM and IJN but there is just something uninteresting about that that line. I own the Alabama but hardly use it compared to the amount of time I spend with my other premium ships especially the tirpitz and Musashi. Opinions?

May be more interesting when the new CV rework comes out. Isn't AA their niche? Just not enough CV (cowbell) these days for them to shine.

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

May be more interesting when the new CV rework comes out. Isn't AA their niche? Just not enough CV (cowbell) these days for them to shine.

+1 for the Cowbell.

[CWD]
Members
69 posts

I’ve never thought the US BBs to be boring at all since the citadel rework. That made life much easier and took the US line from glass cannons to very versatile contenders with ANY BBs in the game. The “gimmick” of US BBs is that they are good at everything but not great at anything. If the US BB driver is worth his/her salt he/she will be able to dictate the engagement to put themselves in favorable conditions.

German BB? Hoof it to outside of 12km and pummel them while kiting away. Japanese BB? Close the distance and try to get cheek citadels. You will overtake them faster than their turrets turn inside 2km, and they won’t turn their ship generally as to avoid giving you a better firing angle. Pull up next to them and ask for some grey poupon before sending them to the great depths with 16” super heavy ambassadors of freedom. French BB? Kite and alternate HE/AP salvos. They eat HE pen damage like a fat kid eating cupcakes. British BBs? Hope you’ve got some teammates near by.

[SIDE]
Members
1,407 posts
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I agree 100%. They are competent but too much alike. In the end I will have spent hours driving the NC which is a lot like the Bama which is like the Iowa, etc...

[HRDP]
Members
2,716 posts
8,278 battles
7 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Even with CV's that niche is not very useful, as the downright excessive amounts of HE spam these days quickly destroys all AA.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,563 battles

To each his/her own I guess, I actually enjoy my USN BB's the most, the ones that put me to sleep are the British BB's, and to a certain extent the Germans, though not as much as the brits. My favorites would be #1 USN BB's, #2 French BB's and 3rd are the IJN.

[-THOR]
Members
583 posts
3,228 battles

I absolutely hated the standard BBs but from North Carolina and up, they are worthy ships to grind.

For me they are just mostly all-round ships and are very flexible

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

Once the Massachusetts is out (and extended tech tree says "SOON" now!)  you'll have a brawler, distinct from the rest of the line and a whole new experience.  THANKS WG!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I mostly only play Alabama and Ark Beta from the US line now with an occasional Texas.

Also in my port, gathering dust are:

Montana

Missouri

Arizona

When Massachusetts comes out I will play the hell out of it!

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles

I would call the likes of the Mushiness and the big tomato boring too play, from observing there play style. :cap_wander_2:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles
20 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

I would call the likes of the Mushiness and the big tomato boring too play, from observing there play style. :cap_wander_2:

Don't know these nicknames, what ships do you mean?

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles
Just now, nagasakee said:

Don't know these nicknames, what ships do you mean?

Musashi = Mushiness     Yamato = Big Tomato :Smile_teethhappy:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

thanks. I never saw either of these ships as boring honestly.  They are very powerful, with biggest guns in game, but have the huge citadel defect, which makes you not be complacent.  The Yamato in fact is my favorite ship.  Oh well  YMMV

Edited by nagasakee
  • Funny 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,891 posts
10,457 battles

Republique is the destroyer of broadsides

[KEGEL]
Members
109 posts
5,414 battles
9 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

The US BB low to tier 7 grind must not be too fresh in your mind. 

Was waiting to pickup the NC when the US sale was going. Breath of fresh air after slug-barg Colorado. Guess I should be thankful I grinded thru it before the accuracy nerf.

Only thing that kept me going along the US BB tree was the Missouri. It encouraged me that things get a lot better at tier 8+

Will admit the KM & French were the most fun, except the FDG. Fat Freddy was a dog.

The RN peaked at KGV. Monarch & Lion we're 'meh'. The Conquer can occasionally be amusing.

IJN BB's didn't really click for me. Thought I'll like the Amagi better. Skipped the Izumo. Conflicted on the Musashi/Yamoto.

Think someone mentioned earlier regarding the CV rework. If carriers are ever fixed, it'll make the US BB's more valuable for their fly swatting abilities.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
24,992 battles
1 hour ago, Crusin_Custard said:

I’m finally getting better with Yamato and his short bus brother but don’t like the pay style at all. 

Alabama and NC are great. Nicely accurate guns, speed to move around the map, and pretty good Concealment for a BB. I do fairly well in Montana as well.

I enjoy some of the German BBs like Scharnhorst, Bismarck and FDG.  Lion, Conqueror and Nelson are ridiculous but effective.  However the French drive me crazy. Inconsistent guns don’t make me happy. 

Members
63 posts
2,736 battles

I feem the same way about British battleships.. hated each and every one I've played..

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,755 battles

I've run the whole US line, and the only one I still have from the tech tree is Montana.  I love the way it looks, but I really think it is the least effective T10 BB.  I hated with a passion Colorado and Iowa and got out of them as quickly as possible. I do have Texas, Arizona, and Alabama, and really enjoy playing them, especially Arizona.

Only got to Amagi in the IJN line, and only have Mikasa, Ishizuchi, Kongo, Fuso and Nagato in port now.  I really used to like the IJN line, but they have been power crept (except Musashi and Yamato) to the point that I rarely play them anymore, and I am thinking of selling off Kongo as I like Texas better at T5.

I have K.Albert and Bismarck, neither of which I play much anymore.   K.Albert used to be a fun ship, but now it's been totally power crept, is hampered by it's short range main battery, and gets focused down and obliterated early in any match I've tried her in of late.   Bismarck and I never got along.

Emperator Nikolai 1 is now just rusting in port for the same reasons as Koenig Albert, it has been surpassed by newer lines, it's ultra slow turrets make US standards seem pretty lively, and because of it's early reputation it gets focused and eliminated early on, and God help you if a semi competent CV driver is on the enemy side.

The British line is probably my largest BB disappointment.  I purchased Warspite when that was all there was.  Meh.  I have Bellerophon, and Orion as well... meh and meh.