You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

If I like Hood will I like Scharnhorst?

9 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles

Hood is my favorite premium of those I have (Albany, Mikasa, Konig Albert, Varag, Arkansas Beta, Ishizuchi, Yubari, Giulio Cesare, Ohotnik, Texas, Anshan, Dunkerque, Graf Spee, Warspite, Hood and Missouri), and while I find most German ships unappealing, there are exceptions.  Visually the Scharnhorst is more appealing than most German ships, but I am not sure how much I'd enjoy her.  Torpedoes are not a particularly big selling point for me.

I like Hood because she is fast and can get where she needs to be better than most battlehips.  With proper angling, which her turret angles enable, she is extremely durable due to having more than minimum plating all the way up to her deck and, from an HE standpoint, her 50mm deck protects her from a lot of cruiser spam.  In my experience Hood has decisive advantages over Scharnhorst.

Do you think Scharnhorst would be a ship I'd enjoy?

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Well, let's look at the qualities you described in the Hood, and compare them to the Scharnhorst.

Scharnhorst is slightly slower than Hood, to the tune of about 2 knots.  However, it's hardly a deal-breaking difference.  Scharnhorst is more than capable of hustling its way around the battlefield.  The big difference here is in maneuverability.  Scharnhorst is a somewhat shorter ship, and its turning radius is a full 110 meters tighter than Hood's: 800m vs 910.  Oddly enough Hood actually has a more-responsive rudder, with a shift time that's about 1 second faster.

However, it could be argued that Scharnhorst's EFFECTIVE maneuverability is higher overall, due to the fact that she cannot out-turn her turrets.  You can really throw her around, without having to wait for your guns to come back into alignment, which greatly frees up your ability to maneuver.

Additionally, Scharnhorst is somewhat better-protected than Hood.  They share their 25mm bow plate, but Scharn also has a 70mm section of belt that extends all the way to the bow.  Her citadel is also smaller, and protected with thicker armor.  The decks of the two ships are comparable.  

In terms of gunnery, Scharnhorst is a DPM machine, whilst Hood is all about the alpha strike.  Scharnhorst's 20s reload can spit out 3 salvos for every 2 of the Hood's more-standard 30 second reload, for a maximum theoretical DPM of 205,200 damage, vs. 182,400 on the Hood.

However, Hood is lobbing 15-inch shells through the air, vs Scharnhorst's 11s, and they pack a hell of a punch.  This is offset somewhat through the use of HE.  If a Scharnhorst cannot punch through a large battleship's armor at range, it can HE them into submission.  

The torpedoes are really just icing on the cake, really.

Hood is very much your traditional fast battleship in terms of play style.  You'll spend your time tempering aggression with patience, and waiting for the right moment to make a move.

In Hood, your main goal will be to maneuver into a position from which you can employ your devastating alpha strikes most efficiently.

Scharnhorst is more like a cruiser with a 350mm belt and an attitude problem.  It thrives in the brawl, where its maneuverability, turtleback armor, secondary battery and torpedo suite can shine.  Scharnhorst doesn't wait for the right moment, so much as it forces the issue and -creates- a good moment to attack.  It's a very aggressive ship, and I have no problem following friendly DDs into caps with her in order to secure early-game advantages.  

In Scharnhorst, your main focus will be keeping the barrels of your rapid-firing guns red-hot, to maximize your DPM advantage.  Any time you spend not shooting at targets is DPM wasted.

On the retreat, both ships make for excellent kiting.  Scharnhorst's rearward firing angles are actually better than her forward ones, but the hood is faster.  I'd call it a wash.  

That said, I find Scharnhorst to be an IMMENSELY fun ship.  It's strong, it's responsive, it can do anything you ask of it.  I recommend it wholeheartedly.

>Obligatory Kiting Hood Video

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester
295 posts
1,389 battles

Though I do not have the Scharnhorst, I think DerKrampuscomment sounds pretty accurate. Scharnhorst is going to have a very different play style in general but if what you like about the Hood is her ability to bow tank and get around the battlefield, Scharnhorst should be a good fit. Just don't expect Scharnhorst's 11' guns to have a punch like the Hood, you will likely be forced into using HE more often than you would like. (I know this from experience, since I have a Graf Spee which has the exact same guns a tier lower).

Edit: just noticed you said you have a Graf Spee yourself. Imagine those guns a tier higher but with 9 rifles instead of 6. That is the Scharnhorst's armament.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,822 battles
1 hour ago, DerKrampus said:

(Lots of stuff, plus:)

On the retreat, both ships make for excellent kiting.  Scharnhorst's rearward firing angles are actually better than her forward ones, but the hood is faster.  I'd call it a wash.  

That said, I find Scharnhorst to be an IMMENSELY fun ship.  It's strong, it's responsive, it can do anything you ask of it.  I recommend it wholeheartedly.

>Obligatory Kiting Hood Video

It is Hood's 15" shells and slight speed advantage that I've found allows her to handle Scharnhorst so well.  the 381mm guns overmatch the bow or stern of Scharnhorst whereas Scharnhorst's 280mm rounds simply bounce off of Hood.  Yes, Scharnhorst can switch to HE, but HE in general is poor man's damage and can be readily healed back.

How are Scharnhorst's turret angles compared to Hood's?

Also, how are its secondaries?  My Bismarck captain is doing a secondary build and that would be the captain most often used on Scharnhorst.

33 minutes ago, Silamon said:

Though I do not have the Scharnhorst, I think DerKrampuscomment sounds pretty accurate. Scharnhorst is going to have a very different play style in general but if what you like about the Hood is her ability to bow tank and get around the battlefield, Scharnhorst should be a good fit. Just don't expect Scharnhorst's 11' guns to have a punch like the Hood, you will likely be forced into using HE more often than you would like. (I know this from experience, since I have a Graf Spee which has the exact same guns a tier lower).

Edit: just noticed you said you have a Graf Spee yourself. Imagine those guns a tier higher but with 9 rifles instead of 6. That is the Scharnhorst's armament.

Well, I don't recommend bow tanking as a general stragey in any Tier VII BB.  Sure, you can do it to Scharnhorst, KGV and Duke of York, but most Tier VII BBs, some Tier VI BBs and all Tier VIII and IX BBs will simply blow through your 25mm bow plate.  Sure, you have side plate strakes that go further forward than all or nothing BBs like Colorado, Nagato or Nelson, but unlike Gneisenau/Scharnhorst it doesn't go all the way forward, and in no case does the forward strake go all the way up to the deck.

I just got Graf Spee due to the $10 sale on it.  I've not played many games in it, but the gun accuracy, or lack thereof, is one of my concerns about getting Scharnhorst.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Quick test in training room shows relative parity between the turret angles.
Firing forward, the Scharnhorst requires an angle of 30 degrees off-bow to being her aft turret into play.  Firing rearward, she can fire turrets at 30 degrees, and all 3 at 35 degrees.

Firing forward, Hood requires 30 degrees off-bow to bring 3 turrets to bear, and 32 to bring all 4 to bear.

Firing rearward, both forward turrets come into play at 30 degrees.

Any Scharnhorst captain worth their salt won't try to bow tank you.  They'll try to bait you into shooting at their side, and then angle that 350mm belt against you.

As for accuracy?  Don't worry about it.  Scharnhorst has a maximum dispersion of 242m at 19.9 Km, or 12.16m/Km of dispersion.  Hood's dispersion is 225 at 18.6, or 12.09m/Km.  Essentially, over any given distance, their dispersion cone is more or less identical.  Of the two, Scharnhorst has a sigma of 2.0, compared to Hood's 1.8, meaning that its shells are more likely to land towards the center of that cone.  Add in the extra gun and Scharnhorst's preference for close-in fighting anyway, and you've got a ship that's going to land its shots at least as often as Hood, if not more.

Not to mention, your German Captain skills from either the German BB or German CA lines will carry over quite well into the Scharn.  By comparison, your British BB and CL captains are likely running skills like Demo Expert or Smoke Screen Expert, which account for wasted space on the Hood.

At the end of the day, I've killed Scharnhorsts in my Hood, an I've killed Hoods in my Scharnhorst.  They're both strong ships, but I consider Scharn to be more adaptive and fun.  I rarely played my Hood after the novelty wore off, but Scharnhorst is my 2nd most-played ship.  XD

She uptiers well, too.  You just have to be a bit more careful.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I love my Scharnhorst its so much fun.  It can really take a heck of a beating too.  It's meant to basically brawl.  It's an up close an personal ship to play.  But it's fun.  The AA on it how ever is some what mediocre how ever.  But you can easily compensate for the AA.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,031 posts
8,125 battles

For me, the Hood feels like a BB and the Shiny Horse feels like a tough cruiser.

This next one has some "colorful" language at the beginning:

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
1,724 posts
848 battles
16 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

For me, the Hood feels like a BB and the Shiny Horse feels like a tough cruiser.

This next one has some "colorful" language at the beginning:

+1 for the Yuro vid. XD

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles

Personally, the only thing about Hood that lets me down is her inconsistent gunnery.  If that wasn't so, she'd be extremely powerful in Tier VII.

Both Hood & Scharnhorst share some common things:

+ Fast

+ Decent handling

- Inconsistent main battery

+ Durable ships

However, the differences:

+ Hood has better personal defense AA by having that unique Defensive Fire only for her AA Rockets, which have a very, very short range.  Hood is a rarely played BB nowadays so it doesn't surprise me when CVs get caught off guard by her Defensive Fire.  CV players that know better will simply drop their torpedoes at longer ranges, but Dive Bombers play right into the AA Trap of Hood.  However, Hood has garbage secondaries.  Still, with AP Bombs being a concern for BBs, having that fancy AA specifically geared to wipe out DBs is a nice thing.  Get ready for when Graf Zeppelin goes on sale.  You'll be happy you got that Defensive Fire.

+ Scharnhorst has FAR BETTER Secondaries, mediocre AA at best.  Enough to shoot a plane or two down from a same or higher tier CV, but you'll still get nuked.

+ Scharnhorst has torpedoes, a powerful sidearm to use when the opportunity is there and puts fear into other ships.

But a common problem:  If you want that fancy Secondaries Build on Scharnhorst, or that deadly AA Build on Hood, that means not slotting ASM1 to improve main battery dispersion.  Again, both ships have very unreliable guns.  Hood is inconsistent.  Scharnhorst has broken Zeiss Optics, something even Eurobeat mentions in that old YouTube video that was linked earlier in the thread.

Anyways, both ships are very similar in playstyle, except for the Secondaries, AA, Torpedo differences.  Hood's guns if you can hit, are solid.  Scharnhorst's is more ideal for dealing with DDs & Cruisers, but you shoot faster.  Against BBs you have to manage shell choices, depending on what you're seeing.