Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cee_Ninja

No... I will not cap early when I am in a Mutsuki

16 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
530 battles

. I just recently  unlocked the Mutsuki.  I have read  that you are not supposed to play this ship in a aggressive way  and  stay hidden as much as possible and  depend on your torps instead of guns. This of course upsets  my teammates because they want me to rush caps as soon as the game begins. They also accused me of running away from the fight when I am doing my best to stay undetected. I figure that if I can stay alive as long as possible I will be able to cap later.  By the way, so far with this ship, I  receive more xp from capping and spotting, instead of  damage.  Mutsuki's torps are easy to dodge .   Meanwhile , some of my teammates type in caps that I am useless even when they are racking up xp while  I am spotting for them. How do you guys deal with situations  like this during the game?  I see this a lot in the game and it especially seems to be directed towards IJN dds the most .  I decided to just ignore the complainers, instead of getting into a spat with them

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
730 posts
4,153 battles

Try reversing into the cap, bow facing out of the cap ready to leave. It's a tactic often used in competitive play and may help you in this case.

• Cool 1

Members
142 posts

Pretty much just ignore them.

IJN DDs are in a weird spot right now where they have a very tough balance between passive and aggressive play. 

It will take a while to learn when you need to go for it and when you need to back off. Just ignore the toxicity, but always keep paying attention to what works and what doesn't. You'll get it eventually.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles
8 minutes ago, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

Try reversing into the cap, bow facing out of the cap ready to leave. It's a tactic often used in competitive play and may help you in this case.

^This.

But since I'm lazy, I just go in and creep at 1/4 speed along the edge of the cap.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

You've got the right idea.  If you're able, use your concealment to light-up enemy DDs, so that your team can engage them.  The IJN DDs are far more capable later in the game, when things have spread out, than they are when contesting a cap.

That said, if you spot someone and they smoke up in the cap, then you should absolutely dip your toe in there to stall it, and torp their smoke.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,585 posts
3,753 battles

It all depends imo on whether you have Concealment Expert, the 4 point skill unlocked. If you have it, then you get to 5.394 km detection range, the best in your matchmaking spread. That means most of the time you can spot before getting spotted. That said,  Mutsuki is very fragile and undergunned for any type of straight fight with DDs. You can check the cap and if you see it's too hot, leave for a while then try it again, chances are the enemy DDs will have left by then. Also contesting a cap and maybe having a DD pop smoke can give you the opportunity to torp their smoke. Don't listen to people whining, they will often find the most minute reasons just to vent.

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles
38 minutes ago, Poharan said:

Pretty much just ignore them.

This^^^

This x2 ^^^

Did I say this? ^^^

Ignore the idiots. In a perfect  Mutsuki game you should NEVER be spotted.

As @DerKrampus just said; you have excellent concealment.

At the same time you still have responsibility.

You MUST spot the Reds; don’t just run and hide.

Make sure your spotting range circle is turned on on your mini-map.

Make your mini-map as large as you can stand, and push the ragged edge of your spotting range if necessary to keep targets spotted.

Use your torpedoes to ‘encourage’ larger enemy ships to broadside your hopefully attentive allies. If they don’t? You might get hits after all.

Use your smoke to help save/hide allies, and for yourself only as a last resort to escape a dangerous enemy.

NEVER fire your guns; however; ALWAYS try to keep them pointed at the closest enemy or other potential target. This does a few things; if a wild destroyer spots you; a snap shot may make it turn away, giving you a better chance to go dark again and get away. Also, if you have a very low HP target, kill it with your guns; save your torpedoes for area denial or better targets.

...and of course, if the chance comes to grab a cap; TAKE IT.

That’s all basic Mutsuki stuff.

Advanced Mutsuki is the stalking ambush.

Watch the mini-map. Keep terrain between yourself and some isolated target, (preferably a battleship; this works against the other three types, but is more risky,) then move in close, jump out as close as possible, and knife them mercilessly in the gut with all six torpedoes.

Dangerous? Yes; the target might be ready and give you a face full of HE; however Mutsuki’s torpedo base damage is roughly 14k, and your ‘safety’ against retaliation is often not more than two or three torpedo hits away.

Are there ‘better’ destroyers that Mutsuki? By the standards most players use, the answer is certainly yes; however, I personally argue that it isn’t as bad as many of those same players say either.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[LGBTQ]
Members
270 posts

DDs should never rush to CAP. In fact they always need some support especially when up against BBs.

I will scout a area but not go into it until I have fire support very close by. DDs are not CA's or BB's.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,061 posts
9,395 battles

Don't have a problem with you not capping early, but I would have a problem if you were not in the general area spotting.  The worse thing that can  happen to a team is for an enemy dd to be in cap, and spotting all the enemy ships and their DD is right along with them... very detrimental!

[USCC2]
Members
3,585 posts
1 hour ago, Cee_Ninja said:

. I just recently  unlocked the Mutsuki.  I have read  that you are not supposed to play this ship in a aggressive way  and  stay hidden as much as possible and  depend on your torps instead of guns. This of course upsets  my teammates because they want me to rush caps as soon as the game begins. They also accused me of running away from the fight when I am doing my best to stay undetected. I figure that if I can stay alive as long as possible I will be able to cap later.  By the way, so far with this ship, I  receive more xp from capping and spotting, instead of  damage.  Mutsuki's torps are easy to dodge .   Meanwhile , some of my teammates type in caps that I am useless even when they are racking up xp while  I am spotting for them. How do you guys deal with situations  like this during the game?  I see this a lot in the game and it especially seems to be directed towards IJN dds the most .  I decided to just ignore the complainers, instead of getting into a spat with them

You play how you feel is best. :Smile_honoring:If others think a ship should play a particular way then they should get in that ship and play that way - simple.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Also, remember that a gunboat DD will often cap, and then bugger off somewhere in search of damage.  Come in from behind and back-cap them after they leave.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
19 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Also, remember that a gunboat DD will often cap, and then bugger off somewhere in search of damage.  Come in from behind and back-cap them after they leave.

Truth

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Play how you're comfortable with playing. If someone's complaining it's because they have a fantasy in their mind of how the game ought to be played and they're forcing it onto you. That's pretty much it. It's not a rule that you have to cap a zone immediately, or even at all. Yes, it's helpful if a destroyer does the capping, since they're more suited to it, but it's not impossible for other ships to do it.

If you're in a bad position don't force it. Just wait and be patient. I'm far from an expert on destroyers, but when destroyers throw their ship away because they rush ahead it's worse than sitting back and trading - if that's what you're concerned with. It's fine if the enemy has 2 caps to your 1 for a while. If you trade better, it'll be easy to retake them later.

[INTEL]
Members
8,593 posts
25,737 battles

The choice isn't between cap or not cap. It's HOW you cap.

You can easily get into the cap right away in an IJN torp boat. I do all the time even in Akat, which has a ridiculous 6.4 detect. Just position yourself stern-in so you can exit quickly. In Yug I cap routinely even though there is always radar, a worthless mechanic that makes games a trial. 

In Mutuski -- which I would free XP past if you can, it's a terrible ship -- when you enter the cap set out blind torps to one of the spots where red DDs are likely to show. Don't wait til you see the DD, that's a mistake, then it is alerted to your presence and will be expecting torps. Blind torps get kills because DDs dont expect torps to be there when they enter the cap. Don't smoke because it reveals where you are and blocks the sight of ships behind you. Stay quiet and don't use your guns.

A variant on this is to circle the cap and let red cap a bit, then enter the cap. That will pin the red DD in the cap, and then you lay out torps on where he is likely to be. As long as you are in the cap the Red DD must stay there, meaning that if you can outspot him, he will be annihilated when your teammates open up on him. Unfortunately Mutsucky's detect isn't very good and several DDs it faces can outspot it, and everything outguns it.

You CAN cap but your main problem looking at your Mutsuki play isn't capping but low damage. You averaged more than twice as much in Isokaze and Umikaze. I suspect you are firing torps from too far away....

[PIZZA]
Members
727 posts
8,165 battles
3 hours ago, Cee_Ninja said:

If you spot - no problemos. 

Sign in to follow this