You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Altwar

Transferring Captains between ships

7 comments in this topic

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
119 posts
2,070 battles

Just wondering if a Captain's acquired XP remains with him if he transfers to a new ship or does it drop back to zero?

Looking at my Myogi captain below, he has 18,519 xp gained towards his 8th skill point.  Meanwhile the Myogi has 5,607 xp towards unlocking the Kongo and becoming elite.

5af743aa5b349_Myogicaptain.JPG.307867e2cd05b9047e8c369b8c7decfa.JPG

What I don't want happening is  if I transfer him to the Kongo, he loses that XP towards the 8th skill point and I have to start that over.

Bonus question:  when a ship becomes elite, does the xp gained afterwards keep accumulating or is there an option to accelerate the captain skills, as there is with accelerating crew skills in WoT?  

Members
9,985 posts

No, you have to go thru  retraining phase, but you don't lose any cmdr skill points.

No, this isn't WOT, no way to accelerate captain skills.

Edited by awiggin

[5D5]
Members
2,292 posts
14,409 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Elite commander XP accelerates skill points but OP probably doesn't have any of those yet.

OP you can also use doubloons to skip the retraining phase.

Members
4,834 posts
5,599 battles

He won't lose his progress towards the next point. You do have to go through a 'retraining' phase when you transfer him. The bar will be orange and it will require a specific amount of exp to complete, but as soon as you earn enough exp to complete retraining, your commander will be right where he was exp wise when he was moved from the previous ship(and any 'overflow' from completing the retraining will go into his exp towards the next point).

When you move the commander to Kongo, if you can spare the credits, I'd recommend spending the 200k to give him half of the exp required to retrain to a different ship. With the current 7 skill points you have, you'd be making is so your commander only requires 5k exp to complete retraining instead of 10k. That's probably a difference of 3-5 games, depending on how much exp you earn on average. I personally think it's worth it every time to use the 200k credits(if you can spare it) to cut retraining in half.

Furthermore, here's the link to the wiki page for commanders. Lots of good info there and it may help you understand some other things regarding commanders and how they work.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
On 5/12/2018 at 3:45 PM, Altwar said:

Just wondering if a Captain's acquired XP remains with him if he transfers to a new ship or does it drop back to zero?

Looking at my Myogi captain below, he has 18,519 xp gained towards his 8th skill point.  Meanwhile the Myogi has 5,607 xp towards unlocking the Kongo and becoming elite.

5af743aa5b349_Myogicaptain.JPG.307867e2cd05b9047e8c369b8c7decfa.JPG

What I don't want happening is  if I transfer him to the Kongo, he loses that XP towards the 8th skill point and I have to start that over.

Bonus question:  when a ship becomes elite, does the xp gained afterwards keep accumulating or is there an option to accelerate the captain skills, as there is with accelerating crew skills in WoT?  

On 5/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, awiggin said:

No, you have to go thru  retraining phase, but you don't lose any cmdr skill points.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:22 PM, 1SneakyDevil said:

Elite commander XP accelerates skill points but OP probably doesn't have any of those yet.

OP you can also use doubloons to skip the retraining phase.

You can earn Elite Commander XP in events and some mission tasks.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, GhostSwordsman said:

He won't lose his progress towards the next point. You do have to go through a 'retraining' phase when you transfer him. The bar will be orange and it will require a specific amount of exp to complete, but as soon as you earn enough exp to complete retraining, your commander will be right where he was exp wise when he was moved from the previous ship(and any 'overflow' from completing the retraining will go into his exp towards the next point).

When you move the commander to Kongo, if you can spare the credits, I'd recommend spending the 200k to give him half of the exp required to retrain to a different ship. With the current 7 skill points you have, you'd be making is so your commander only requires 5k exp to complete retraining instead of 10k. That's probably a difference of 3-5 games, depending on how much exp you earn on average. I personally think it's worth it every time to use the 200k credits(if you can spare it) to cut retraining in half.

Furthermore, here's the link to the wiki page for commanders. Lots of good info there and it may help you understand some other things regarding commanders and how they work.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

:Smile_great: This pretty much covers the rest of it, except for premium ships.

If you get a premium ship for the IJN (there is a T2 Tachibana Lima free mission right now) you can do the following to make the retraining easier.

Move your Myogi to Kongo and pick either the 200k silver retraining or free retraining if you are silver poor. Then when you put the captain into your IJN premium ship(s), his captain skills work a full power, unlike the retraining in a tech tree ship.  Once your captain is fully trained, then you are good in the Kongo. There is no retraining requirement for any premium ship. You can put any tech tree captain into any premium ship of that nation for free. The premium ships come with premium camo that offers the normal concealment bonuses, -10% on service costs (not much at T2, but big at high tier) and +50% XP that stacks with flags.

Here is the link for the T2 Tachibana Lima mission. You MUST accept the mission on that page, for it to appear in game. Unfortunately, only your New York and Kongo will be able to do the mission in PvP, but you do have until very early morning Jun 4th to get your 15 PvP wins.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/thanks-o-bana/

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
119 posts
2,070 battles

Very cool on the Tachibana Lima mission.  Good thing there's a 3 day weekend coming up as I may go after this one! :Smile_Default:

And thank you for the information on how a premium ship impacts a retraining captain!

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
1 hour ago, Altwar said:

Very cool on the Tachibana Lima mission.  Good thing there's a 3 day weekend coming up as I may go after this one! :Smile_Default:

And thank you for the information on how a premium ship impacts a retraining captain!

You are welcome