You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Ashio gone?

22 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
469 posts
11,040 battles

Any notice that a Ashio is gone? Is this WG decided that it was the worst idea in they ever came up with. That ship makes Belfast need a buff.

• Bad 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

Asashio is nowhere near as powerful as Belfast dude...

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,572 posts
4,442 battles

It was scheduled to go off sale on the 11th May.

Belfast is easily a much better ship than Asashio.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,895 posts
1,338 battles

Some ships stay on the shop for a few months, others show up a week or two and won't be seen again until rotated in.

[WOLF6]
Members
196 posts
2,227 battles
20 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Any notice that a Ashio is gone? Is this WG decided that it was the worst idea in they ever came up with. That ship makes Belfast need a buff.

Asashio Bundles Start: Fri. Apr. 27 4:20 AM PT
Asashio Bundles End: Fri. May 11 4:20 AM PT

Source:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,546 posts
7,577 battles

It will probably come back later in the year...  Or certainly in the Santa Crates..

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Lol my BBs can dodge Asashio Torps like a phantom, and once those Asashio unload their Torps they are very vulnerable. Well they are vulnerable anyway since not really any threat to DDs or CAs, and since they have all that hype they are major targets to take out. So yeah Asashio was not Wargaming’s best idea...

[--O--]
Members
187 posts
18,249 battles

it is a fun little ship but i prefer kagero or benson, sure would never take it to a ranked game.

[SOV]
Members
469 posts
11,040 battles
57 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Not if your driving a bb

[CUTER]
Members
704 posts
19,100 battles

Had an absolute blast in mine.  The ship is a stick of dynamite.  Really good time.

[-XI-]
Beta Testers
6 posts
7,659 battles

It's a very good scout ship and it devastating to BB's. BUT, as stated earlier, some BB's can avoid them. Usually that happens with MM putting the Asashio in a T10 battle. It gets harder to take them out. It can be done but you have to be patient and plan your attack and the path you want your torps to take. With all that said I die a lot in that ship, but usually it is radar and or hydro that lights me up.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,485 battles
9 minutes ago, hobblegoat said:

it is a fun little ship but i prefer kagero or benson, sure would never take it to a ranked game.

Huh. I had a 65% win rate in ranked with mine. Topped the scoreboard about 40-45% of the wins, and middle of the pack most of the rest. It took me all the way to rank 10 with no problem.

[SOV]
Members
469 posts
11,040 battles
5 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Huh. I had a 65% win rate in ranked with mine. Topped the scoreboard about 40-45% of the wins, and middle of the pack most of the rest. It took me all the way to rank 10 with no problem.

I am just g 50mm ad I play cruisers!

I do love watching a ship players launching there torps at me!

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,485 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I do love watching a ship players launching there torps at me!

Huh. Turns out you can just put words in any order you want, I guess?

[LUCK]
Members
1,320 posts
19,724 battles
1 hour ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

or Kutuzov. The only chance I've had at an Asashio was with Kutuzov w/ hydro, charging smoke. No worries, quick work. Torped him because I could.

• Funny 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,809 posts
15,355 battles
41 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Not if your driving a bb

and don't know what you're doing! Quit sailing in straight lines!

27 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

What does this mean in English?

24 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Huh. Turns out you can just put words in any order you want, I guess?

So I'm not the only one who didn't get that ... good!

Asashio is a one trick pony; it's a good trick, but it only works on half the fleet, and doesn't work at all if you are pro-actively dodging torp launches.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,336 posts
6,609 battles

Payfast is a ship that can deal with almost any MM.

If she faces DDs, it‘s damn lunch time because of her Radar, Stealth (which allows her to jump DDs) and Hydro.

If she faces Cruisers, her HE Alpha and Concealment, coupled with smoke (provided someone spots) will help her greatly.

If she faces BBs, she‘ll drool all over the place and finish the battle with 130k damage done.

Against CVs, while her AA does suffer without Defensive Fire she does have very strong raw AS values.

Meanwhile Asashio can only claim strengths against one ship type, Battleships. Against anyone else, she‘ll suffer greatly.

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Belfast is easily a much better ship than Asashio.

Only if you can get it to work...

11 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Payfast is a ship that can deal with almost any MM.

Like I said...

Hate Belfast.

If it we’re a tree ship like Fiji; (which I also despise, btw,) I’d sell it in a heartbeat.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol my BBs can dodge Asashio Torps like a phantom, and once those Asashio unload their Torps they are very vulnerable. Well they are vulnerable anyway since not really any threat to DDs or CAs, and since they have all that hype they are major targets to take out. So yeah Asashio was not Wargaming’s best idea...

I absolutely love this assertion, it insinuates that the rest of us are "bad", "faulty" or some other "absolute", when in fact that isn't the case.

Personally, I can only speak of my experience and that has been that, in the right hands, the Asashio can devastate Battleships to the point where there is no "dodging torps like a phantom". In the right hands, the Asashio can control and area and ensure no Battleships approach it, freeing it up for other ships - so it does need support.

In the right hands, the Asashio when it has no targets left, can spot and not be spotted, back cap or for-cap due to its concealment. In the right hands, the Main Batteries do provide it with some self defense. By no means is it a Benson, but it isn't meant to be and that is not the ships purpose. So when people go to the extreme of saying "the main batteries suck" based on an observation that it isn't a Benson, Lo Yang, etc., they are trying to say "it isn't the best at everything, therefor it sucks".

However, in the wrong hands, I have seen torps come at me with a 5km -7km spread between a narrow spread with spotters out in front of me, leaving me with enough room to get between the incoming torps. This is not how the ship is utilized to it's fullest and I too can "dodge the torps like a Phantom", heck I can even dance if I wanted to. But the same could be said with any other Destroyer who was piloted by that specific player. The same can be said about any ship in this game piloted by any player that fires blindly and without care. Sure, they will hit something sometimes, but not with any sort of efficiency. No ship is utilized effectively in that manner and anyone who knows their own ship can "dodge" any incoming damage they may face.

I think that has been established long ago...

So please, and when I say this I say this with a small bit of tongue in cheek (not much as your post tended to put down the entire BB community as if W,A,S,D was a clear solution to a "competent " Asashio player), but spare me the "your BB's can dodge the torps like a Phantom" bit. Anyone can when the ship is "in the wrong hands", which is clearly who you have been facing given the statement you've thrown out.

• Cool 2