You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Daechi

19 Point Captain Grind or How do I keep from losing my sanity

62 comments in this topic

[-13-]
Members
34 posts
7,276 battles

My highest Captain(s) is 16 (Yamamato and a USN BB). I swap them into Premium ships and their respective tier ships while playing all available modes; coop, randoms, ranked, scenarios. Besides using flags, camos and free cap exp when earned, Is there any other ways to get those last 3 points to get a 19 pointer? I know once you have a 19 pt, then all exp earned by them is elite thus making it easier to attain other 19's but it seems my current 16's are gaining exp at snail pace. 

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,450 battles

You are doing it right, flags help lots and the only 19 point commander I have is my pan asian because I went through the whole line and then did a full season of ranked in my loyang so I have a few hundred games with that same captain.  Space battles was another great place to grind because every game you played you got free captain XP (but that is over of course).  Just  keep plugging along and do your doubles and move the captain after you get your double done to your prem ship and play the crap out of it.  

Like you said once you get 1 19 it becomes easier.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,891 posts
10,457 battles

When fully loaded with flags and camo I can pull 45k captain xp a game. I have 24 nineteen pointers atm

[EQRN]
Members
342 posts
8,903 battles

If you plot out the xp, you'll see it's an exponential curve, and a 10 pt commander, which seems like halfway there, is really only 10% of the way to 19 pts.  Somewhere between 15 and 16 pts is the halfway point to 19 :cap_wander:

• Cool 3

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,445 battles

Once you get a handful of 19 point commanders, you will laugh at how quickly you double that number.   The first one is always the hardest, I had several trying to reach 19 and  it seemed like forever in getting them there,  I now have 14 of them with 6 more at level 17/18.  You'll get there soon enough.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles
15 minutes ago, Daechi said:

My highest Captain(s) is 16 (Yamamato and a USN BB). I swap them into Premium ships and their respective tier ships while playing all available modes; coop, randoms, ranked, scenarios. Besides using flags, camos and free cap exp when earned, Is there any other ways to get those last 3 points to get a 19 pointer? I know once you have a 19 pt, then all exp earned by them is elite thus making it easier to attain other 19's but it seems my current 16's are gaining exp at snail pace. 

I have six 19-pointers, 3 USN and 3 RN. I rotate them through my premiums and their respective ships to gain as much as possible with flags up (when I can afford them or get enough in containers). I remember that it took me over a year to get my first one, and it is still a grind using six of them! I have four 15 and 16 pointers that I am working on at present to get to 19, plus I need some 10-pointers in reserve for the upcoming USN cruiser line split and the RN DDs, if and when they show up. Keep on grinding! Been there, done that, and still doing it in slow time!

[WOLF1]
Members
2,015 posts

why do you need 19 is beyond me, the first 15 probably are important, but it's diminishing return at the extreme if you go even higher, those points are pretty much wastes anyway

i play this game for fun, not hard labor, lol

but whatever, enjoy

• Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
342 posts
8,903 battles

Add in the fact that retraining without spending doubloons but paying 200k credits is 125k xp.  Not including upgrades, it takes ~70k to unlock the Colorado from the NM. Which is to say, grinding a line with 10 to 14, maybe 16, point commanders is much less time consuming than with 19ptrs - unless you have doubloons to burn or don’t mind manning your ships with penalized commanders.

Edited by FrodoFraggin

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Ignore the grind, just pay attention to playing the game well and you'll have one eventually.

• Cool 4

[TARFU]
Members
882 posts
5,920 battles

funny thing, I have  probably 2-3 14-16 pointers for each major nation... one french thats 15 pts as well. I never thought to bounce one captain around multiple premium ships. DOH, i'd probably have two 19 ptrs by now.

I have 600k free xp, which isn't quite enough to put one 16pt captain to 19 points...damnit.

I'm guessing after this coming christmas i'll definitely have one, with all those special flags you get. People whine about them, but they're SUPER USEFUL. Look at the 200% xp first win going on right now, and the discounted type 59. If you run the type 59 with the special flags, and bounce a captain around premiums, you'd get GIANT results because of the first win bonus... even without first win bonus it can be huge.

I'm going to buy 5 yamamoto crates I think... can't lose out on this opportunity.

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,230 battles

If you are playing ranked it can be a great way to get a large number of games in with an alternative objective than leveling a captain but a peripheral benefit is a leveled up captain.

I can’t get motivated by captain leveling, I always have to have something else to gain like advancing a ship line, ranked etc

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Well one thing is premium time - i did a fast read and did not see where you mentioned it. Sorry if you did. If you didn't, next time you complete a battle, go look at the detailed payouts. You will (likely) realize there IS an advantage to having premium time. A clear advantage. 

Only other thing I can suggest is focusing on one commander, get him to 19. Once there, part of his earnings go into the elite commander pool. Which if you don't spend like tomorrow's never coming, can help immensely in boosting other commanders. I don't buy them all the way up, but rather use a bit here and there to get to the next level. It works for me. But I don't have premium time. If I did, I'd have got where I'm at a whole lot sooner. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,520 battles

Ship Experience bonuses and Commander Experience bonuses are the biggest contributors. Maximizing those two bonuses, are key to getting a 19 point commander as quickly as possible.

Premium Time should be considered. But if money is not to be spent, then you must make due, without premium account.

Free experience is helpful, of course, but due to it being only 5% of Ship experience, it takes longer to build up free experience. If buying doubloons to convert ship experience into free experience, is not a problem for you, DO SO! If money is not being spent, free experience should be the last thought on your mind to 19. Bonuses for Free Experience, should only be placed on the ship if you have the room (signal flag), or if it is the only bonus you have available.

You get three daily crates. Grab the "More signal and camo" crate option. You won't always get the signals you need, but it does give you a chance to get Zulu hotel and Equal Speed Charlie London signals. Always mount those two signals.

If you ever get ahold of the Asian Lantern Camo (very unlikely), USE IT! +755% commander experience. Yes, I know, it only says +200% Experience, and +555% Commander Experience, but due to how the game works, any bonuses gained by the ship itself, is also given to the commander. Camo that provides Experience and Commander Bonuses are to be used.

Red Dragon, hydra, and Dragon Flag should be used when available.

Focus on a single commander. Spreading your bonuses out between multiple commanders, slows the process down greatly, even with a premium account.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,015 posts
8,240 battles

Easiest way to keep sane is focus it on a single desired captain. That's how I got my first ARP Commander to 19, then later John Doe, then Tirpitz/Bismarck captain, and later my Hindenburg captain. With the 200% XP wins offered (and the V-day camos if you do the "All Your Bases Are Belong to Us" mission), I've been closing in on my next two 19-pointers (Yamamoto and Yamato captain).

@Counter_Gambit is right about the flags and camo crate. Kraken and Confederate flags are a big help.

Premium time, if willing to spend money, adds 50% more XP to your total, so it'll shorten your grind by around 30-50%.

[WPP]
Members
515 posts
5,418 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

why do you need 19 is beyond me, the first 15 probably are important, but it's diminishing return at the extreme if you go even higher, those points are pretty much wastes anyway

but whatever, enjoy

Because a 19 point captain generates elite Capt EXP that can be used to put other captains to 15 point without having to waste Free EXP or cash.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
27 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Because a 19 point captain generates elite Capt EXP that can be used to put other captains to 15 point without having to waste Free EXP or cash.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Before you know it you have multiple 19 Point captains and the College  of Naval Excellence keeps expanding its role. {Annapolis Academy}  

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
2 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

If you plot out the xp, you'll see it's an exponential curve, and a 10 pt commander, which seems like halfway there, is really only 10% of the way to 19 pts.  Somewhere between 15 and 16 pts is the halfway point to 19 :cap_wander:

I have a 14 pointer and it absolutely seemed this way but I never took the time to confirm - sigh

1 hour ago, megadeux said:

Ignore the grind, just pay attention to playing the game well and you'll have one eventually.

Definitely trying to remember this - I'm looking forward to reaching 15 because that seems to be a key level for obtaining the most ship improvement.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,015 posts
36 minutes ago, galspanic said:

but if you want to grind another 15 point then why don't you just grind him instead, it's the same thing

unless the early points the captain is lacking, but they grind pretty fast

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
2 hours ago, Daechi said:

When I get back home, I’ll  see if I can find the spreadsheet I made to show the difference in standard vs premium and with flags and such. That being said, on a standard account the daily win witll met me like 5k commander XP most of the time whereas with premium, camo, and all flags I’ve had upwards of 55k+ in a game. Playing ranked has helped a lot as well.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

but if you want to grind another 15 point then why don't you just grind him instead, it's the same thing

unless the early points the captain is lacking, but they grind pretty fast

Because if you have a 19 point captain and continue to play ships with him (for fun) then every game give you all that XP. Plus if you rotate them in premiums you can start adding it up pretty quickly. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,265 posts
4,224 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

but whatever, enjoy

Yes and no. I can sort of see what you mean - I'm at 12 points with an Edinburgh captain and trying to figure out whether to spend the two loose points on AR or EM to boost my main guns or whether there's a higher-point skill I ought to be saving for. That being said, 19 pointers yield elite captain XP which can be used for retraining other captains to different ships or helping them level up to useful levels in a hurry. So there's that.

Halloween last year and Space Battles this year gave us 19-pointers on loan and allowed us to keep all the XP; if the same is repeated this Halloween, I'm going to flog them for all it's worth (especially since Halloween was a scenario mission with special weapon abilities and team damage turned OFF, the latter of which I realised only too late).

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,120 battles
2 hours ago, Daechi said:

If your grinding captain co, whatever you do, don't play coop and operations. Random and ranked all the way. And maximize your gameplay, bad battles net low experience and can lower your tempo for the next battle. If your starting to have bad games for whatever reason take a break; Sometimes you have to go away to come back.

I have four 19pt captains and two 18pt ones. The best way to go about it is forgetting your captain all together and think of it as if your farming credits for a really, really, Realy expensive small upgrade for your ship. In other words, have fun first, foremost and last and don't be afraid to step away to revise and grasp. 

Furthermore, check out the wows replay site and download some exceptional replays for the ships your captains assigned to. Sometimes seeing someone else doing it right is the key to optimizing your gameplay by identity certain opportunities presented to your type of ship.

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles

Clan Battles give a lot of commander XP.  If you have a Tier X for that captain and join a Clan Battle team, then load your ship with the commander flags and camo, you’ll be at 19 in reasonable time.

Shameless plug: PelagicPirates.org

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,520 battles
3 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

nice call with 10pts only being 10%. Just did the math, and yeah. Rounding up to nearest whole percent: 11%. Rounding to nearest tenth of a percent: 10.7%

And if you're curious: 52% (52.3% when rounding to nearest tenth of a percent) between 15 and 16, is 50% to 19.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,777 battles
3 hours ago, Daechi said:

The easiest way is to buy the Yamamoto crates. They have the XP on steroids flags. I have 37 19pt captains and have found the Yami crates to be the best bang for my buck when grinding Captain XP.