Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
wiztaxi

Recently got premium Arizona and....

21 comments in this topic

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
988 battles

...was pleased with the dispersion on the guns. Been incredibly fun ship to play. 

Any other BBs that might be on that same or greater level? 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,285 posts
17,328 battles

For fun?

Normandie, full secondaries build.

Tight dispersion?

Not sure.

[RLGN]
Members
8,285 posts
17,328 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I have Heard Scharnhorst has good dispersion 

My experience with said ship has been quite negative...

Except in Ops.

Apparently; like with carriers, which I also can’t seem to use worth a flip in Randoms; Scharn works for me in Ops...

Members
4,568 posts
6,508 battles
36 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

My experience with said ship has been quite negative...

Except in Ops.

Apparently; like with carriers, which I also can’t seem to use worth a flip in Randoms; Scharn works for me in Ops...

She is not a ship to fire and fight with at longer ranges. Bad dispersion.  Get in close.  She can be a monster knife fighter at close range with 3 ways to hurt enemy....main guns, secondaries (very good), torps (very fast). With very good armor you can easily get to under 5km when attacking a BB....and then you generally have a big advantage. Learning curve with her. Also can just destroy cruisers and DDs.... if you can hit the little damn things!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Texas if you don't have her... great too because of her AAA capabilities. But you want accuracy? Next time the Italian GC is available, buy it. She is so good at her tier, even up to two tiers above her, my money says one day she will probably get parked into the "Not For Sale" group with Belfast and such ships. 

The GC is such a fine and fun ship. If she comes around again, don't even think about it. Get her. 

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,082 battles

I’m puzzled by the comments about Scharnhorst. She has a Sigma of 2.0 IIRC. That does just fine against cruisers. The 283 mm gun caliber makes him less effective against BBs at range, but it’s a really fun ship to play.  Note:  if you go full secondary build you lose main gun accuracy  

North Carolina is worth the grind and then some with faster speed and a 2.0 Sigma.  Her sister Alabama is a Premium with slightly worse Sigma at 1.9 but shorter and more maneuverable.  I love both ships.

The Admiral Graf Spee is called a cruiser but has almost battleship guns with nice accuracy.  1.9 Sigma and reduced horizontal dispersion.

and then there’s Yamato with Sigma of 2.1.  The only BB in the game with that high a Sigma. The Tier 9 free-mium Musashi has the same guns but only 1.8 Sigma.  That reduced accuracy was supposed to make Musashi balanced at Tier 9 (not!)

Here’s a great resource: 

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
988 battles

The tier 5 italian is nice. I like the Arizona because up a tier it gains more exp\credits\etc. Also seems like Arizona does better when matched against Tier 8 although that's a bit subjective on my part I realize. 

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
988 battles
1 minute ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I’m puzzled by the comments about Scharnhorst. She has a Sigma of 2.0 IIRC. That does just fine against cruisers. The 283 mm gun caliber makes him less effective against BBs at range, but it’s a really fun ship to play.  Note:  if you go full secondary build you lose main gun accuracy  

North Carolina is worth the grind and then some with faster speed and a 2.0 Sigma.  Her sister Alabama is a Premium with slightly worse Sigma at 1.9 but shorter and more maneuverable.  I love both ships.

The Admiral Graf Spee is called a cruiser but has almost battleship guns with nice accuracy.  1.9 Sigma and reduced horizontal dispersion.

and then there’s Yamato with Sigma of 2.1.  The only BB in the game with that high a Sigma. The Tier 9 free-mium Musashi has the same guns but only 1.8 Sigma.  That reduced accuracy was supposed to make Musashi balanced at Tier 9 (not!)

Here’s a great resource: 

And I have the Yamato too (my first tier X [edited]) and I just dont get anywhere near the same "feel" as I do with the Arizona in terms of tightly bunched shells like they are strung together on a necklace. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,082 battles
25 minutes ago, wiztaxi said:

And I have the Yamato too (my first tier X [edited]) and I just dont get anywhere near the same "feel" as I do with the Arizona in terms of tightly bunched shells like they are strung together on a necklace. 

There is quality and then there’s quantity. Lyon has terrible accuracy but with 16 rifles any idiot can hit something...

My bet is that you aren’t shooting at the same ranges with Arizona vs. Yamato. Heck, you shouldn’t be, but that can make Yamato appear less accurate. Your target has time to move. They may even see those nightmare shells coming in.  I still have trouble sometimes judging target speed correctly at distances over 18 km. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Here's a stupid thought for those who want to test it out... take the Yammy... for a broadside target she's pretty good... but if the come at  you bow on and you fire with you target indictor dead  center of the bow, you'll get very few if any hits. If you shift off-center, left or right and try that same shot, you will likely get more hits. 

I've been playing around with this on a couple of ships (GK, Montana and Yammy) and it seems to make a difference. 

The 'Bama if you got the coin is a sheer joy to play. She carried me nicely in ranked (currently at rank 10); others report the same. So at least in ranked she more than carries her weight. 

[WOLF5]
Members
278 posts
5,259 battles

I don't have the Arizona, still sitting on the fence and wondering if I should buy it.  I play a lot of Operations and it seems like  fun ship to have for it.

I play mainly cruisers though and for a BB that has accurate guns, I'll say the Alabama.  I do not like playing BBs because of their slow and relatively inaccurate guns but the Alabama is pretty good with its cruiser like accurate guns.

[WOLF5]
Members
278 posts
5,259 battles
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

For fun?

Normandie, full secondaries build.

Tight dispersion?

Not sure.

The Normandie's shells spread horizontally A LOT.  In the current operation of the week, Defense of Newport, when a cruiser charges you head on and you shoot at it dead center, most (if not all) your shells will miss as they spread horizontally and land to its sides.

On the other hand, if a cruiser shows its side even slightly, you'll most likely delete it because of the same spread.  If your aim is true, your shells will basically land across the entire side of the cruiser and either sink it outright or hurt it very close to death.

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
988 battles
On 5/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Here's a stupid thought for those who want to test it out... take the Yammy... for a broadside target she's pretty good... but if the come at  you bow on and you fire with you target indictor dead  center of the bow, you'll get very few if any hits. If you shift off-center, left or right and try that same shot, you will likely get more hits. 

I've been playing around with this on a couple of ships (GK, Montana and Yammy) and it seems to make a difference. 

The 'Bama if you got the coin is a sheer joy to play. She carried me nicely in ranked (currently at rank 10); others report the same. So at least in ranked she more than carries her weight. 

The way this works is that if you can get the Yamato in close without getting torp [edited] or cornered in on a couple sides at bad angles, the dispersion is pretty decent. Those are "big IFS" though. But I guess that's my fault for choosing that as my first tier 10. 

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
On 5/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, wiztaxi said:

...was pleased with the dispersion on the guns. Been incredibly fun ship to play. 

Any other BBs that might be on that same or greater level? 

You wouldn't believe me if I told you...

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
988 battles
Just now, BURN_Miner said:

You wouldn't believe me if I told you...

You never know. Who would have thought I would find such a gem at Tier 6?!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

Arizona's gunnery is very good, on top of being able to face tank 356mm or smaller AP shells, make her one of the best Tier VI BBs in the game.  Warspite is also very dangerous this tier.  AZ's gunnery is much more consistent than the shotgun that is New Mexico.

Really, the only bad thing about AZ, other than her worthless AA, is Matchmaking dumping on her, but it's a problem for Tier V-VI ships in general.  If MM wasn't sh*tting on AZ so much, she'd be even better.  You should have seen how she was in the old MM when Arizona was beating up on Wyomings and stuff like that.

When MM changes hit, Tier VI was my most played tier and Arizona was supplanting my beloved Fuso as my favored VI Battleship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

My favorite of all the Tier 6's is the New Mexico.

I've had very long drawn out debates on it, including number crunching, stat comparing, side by side comparisons, etc. even with the Arizona. Even though the Arizona has its benefits, it does has its drawbacks, one important one being a lack of AA (I do own both ships). Another is the rudder shift time A.Z. is at 11.7s and the N.M. is at 10.8s, with both having the "All or nothing" armor scheme they both have great AP "skipping" abilities when angled, so in this department the A.Z. is OK with regards to the Rudder Shift Time. However, where it falls short in comparison is in dodging torps and the ability to reduce the damage ie: torp belt. N.M. has the best Tier 6 Torp belt hands down at a 42% reduction and the A.Z. sits at 39%. 3% may not seem like much, but it is quite a bit when you find yourself being surprised by 2 full spreads from behind an island at 4km and living - yes, it's happened and I laughed while I killed the DD... lol

I'm not saying that it is any better, but despite what the "average" damage (I hate that word when it comes to a video game tbh), says on a 3rd party site, the N.M. is truly a hidden gem of the Tier 6 line up. All it takes is some time and patience to learn where her sweet spot is (10-14km), positioning, angling, when to jam on the breaks and power through, what kind of damage to take/when to take it, etc.

Out of the 8,311 total games I have played on WoWS, 1,442 have been in the New Mexico (17.35%) even though I play other BB's, DD's and CA/CL's up to Tier 9/10 as well.

I didn't scope out your profile, but if you haven't put any time outside of leveling her, I suggest dusting her off, dedicating a Captain just for her and having some fun. Even when she is thrown into a Tier 8, she can more than handle her own, you just have to play defensive, like any other Tier 6 ship in that situation.

5afa067b32e4e_NewMexicoPort.thumb.png.36ddf5be08d9dde9526d1b7759205a84.png

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Here's why I suggest the GC... easily achievable by Joe Average players like myself: 

shot-18_05.15_11_26.25-0951.thumb.jpg.3f10d01475cf6ea561c89ad0d911f1b0.jpg

Yup - we lost. But note the (gross) amount of payout and the damage. Also note six cits. This ship is purty much OP in her tier(s). 

shot-18_05.15_11_26.39-0424.thumb.jpg.5750d1b997fc0fe1dd1e8cf2135d20a7.jpg

And those numbers come from the left side of the screen, the free service. Look at the right to see just how much of an improvement premium time gives you. As they say, "You don't look a gift horse in the mouth." If her guns were not good, accurate and damaging to her max range of 16.x km, you just couldn't pull this off. 

Last time I'll say it - i promise - but next time she becomes available, buy her. 

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

Nice game Herr,

Here is an oldy but goody from my New Mexico. The Tabs on the reports shows just how old they are, lol, but on the flip side no buffs or nerfs to other ships had taken place yet.

5afca06d7d15a_NewMex200kMain.thumb.jpg.8ddb9a62de3c2544c572f5daec7e2ac6.jpg

5afca07ce592e_NewMex200kTeam.thumb.jpg.cae88923c554e9819e4bb42796cb9948.jpg

5afca08123503_NewMex200kDetail.thumb.jpg.fb42fac51baf6f307b591ed35f5a3d81.jpg

I didn't manage to keep or snag the credits tab (one of the two) or from the looks of it, that feature wasn't in place yet, something... So in its place, here is a main page and credits report from a 179k game I had in the New Mexico (on premium time).

5afca116bd293_NewMexico179kMain.thumb.jpg.5fcc0f85888194535814e6b6b8894c0e.jpg

5afca08b71edb_NewMexico179kCredits.thumb.jpg.31169115641f3bc3e16a513fc4d30a65.jpg

Sign in to follow this