You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

PSA: Having A High Rank/Being In A Clan Isn't The Be-All End-All Of Judging The Quality Of A Player

19 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,097 posts
5,894 battles

An important thing to remember about ranked is that one can reach rank 1 simply by playing enough games even if they're not anywhere near the top 5% of the playerbase.

In addition, just because someone is in a clan is no indication of competence. On the other hand, just because a player is not in a clan is no indication that they're a poor player.

Judge a player by how they contribute to their team and community, not by arbitrary tags and decorations.

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,097 posts
5,894 battles
10 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

5a5a42d838b47_stevenseagull.gif.4726a77b9932717cf02f417ebde4222a.gif

John Doe judges you silently...

Which movie is this one from?

[HINON]
Members
9,046 posts

Not entirely true that any player can rank out. You have to have at least a minimal win rate along with saving some stars or the number of matches becomes impossible. If you look at past seasons not too many players ranked out with sub 50 percent win rates.

Members
309 posts
13 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Not entirely true that any player can rank out. You have to have at least a minimal win rate along with saving some stars or the number of matches becomes impossible. If you look at past seasons not too many players ranked out with sub 50 percent win rates.

Pretty sure someone looked into this for a past season, and even the people who ranked out with a sub 50% ranked W/R were mid 50% w/r in randoms. 

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,097 posts
5,894 battles
26 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Not wrong, but I meant it more as a player having any of the higher ranks, like 5 or 7. One would think, for instance, that a rank 7 Fletcher player would at least somewhat know what he's doing, until you watch him lose a gunfight to a Kagero and find out later that he has a sub 45% WR (yes, that happened to me tonight—we lost that one).

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[USFTW]
Members
192 posts
1,969 battles

Very true in This video by jingles he illustrates how you can advance by sitting at the back spamming HE to farm damage to keep a star like the conqueror in the video. 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,017 battles
3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

An important thing to remember about ranked is that one can reach rank 1 simply by playing enough games even if they're not anywhere near the top 5% of the playerbase.

In addition, just because someone is in a clan is no indication of competence. On the other hand, just because a player is not in a clan is no indication that they're a poor player.

Judge a player by how they contribute to their team and community, not by arbitrary tags and decorations.

And you need some in the region of 400-500 games to rank out and sub 50 rate.  I judge more if they had played clan wars. And being in a clan is no indicator they they had. If they had played clan wars, they'd know what general strategy works and what their role is. I also prize tm mates who communicate.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

I agree in part and disagree in part.  OP is right that good clans don't have the monopoly on good players.  You can find good players everywhere.  The converse is not necessarily true.  You won't find many bad players in good clans.  You just won't.  You're not going to find a lot of potatoes in Kraken, ZR, 07, CONQR, Impact, etc...  You just won't.  If I see those clans and a number of others on my team, I am confident that they will perform well.  Just as I hope that when people see the -K- next to me, they know I'll usually carry my weight.

• Cool 3

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,637 battles

I'd recommend everyone read this post by senstnotmade.  It explains a very significant portion of rank distributions and how difficult it is to rank up.

TLDR; for every star lost, it takes approximately 2.15 additional games played to reach rank 1.  There were very few people who ranked out with a sub 50% wr, but it did happen.

[SALVO]
Members
17,106 posts
17,770 battles
2 hours ago, intixw said:

Pretty sure someone looked into this for a past season, and even the people who ranked out with a sub 50% ranked W/R were mid 50% w/r in randoms. 

Ahhh, but if you're doing that, it's because you have a lot of top loser losses, which have the effect of removing those battle from ever having existed, for the sake of your effective win rate in ranked.  The ranked stats really should count how many times you were top loser, at least as long as it's still a thing.

[INTEL]
Members
803 posts
8,327 battles
4 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'm getting the feeling you and I have encountered the same player.

Yesterday on Hotspot we had a player who was ranting:

1) team not doing what he decided.

2) that he was stuck with a bunch of "clanless noobs"

His claim being a clan teaches you "things". In his case I guess his clan taught him to push his Monty into a cap alone well after 2 DD's and a DM were detected in the area of that cap. Any guess on who finished dead last in XP? After dying he spent the rest of the match playing Zombie Adm. Nelson while trying to salt all the worlds oceans.

No doubt we got our butts whipped but 6 of us really didn't mind.

After the match I glanced at his profile. 49% w/r after 5k matches.

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
302 posts
9,907 battles

As a 1944 model potato who's declining vision, reaction time, and multi-tasking abilities have kept me at a consistent 42% WR since CBT, I love the game, even though I'm stuck at Rank 15. I am in the casual sub clan of Team Special Forces, and don't play in CW because CW because I would not be much of an asset to my team. If fate finds me on your team, please know that I'll be doing my best to contribute to the team win. If that's not good enough, TS. I support WG by paying for premium and a few flags, so I'm pulling my weight toward keeping the game alive. Your salt won't have any effect, since I don't give a s**t.

• Cool 3

Members
1,310 posts
21,118 battles
5 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Not wrong, but I meant it more as a player having any of the higher ranks, like 5 or 7. One would think, for instance, that a rank 7 Fletcher player would at least somewhat know what he's doing, until you watch him lose a gunfight to a Kagero and find out later that he has a sub 45% WR (yes, that happened to me tonight—we lost that one).

Well I have ships with 60% WR.  And I have ships with much < 50% WR.  Possibly the player reached ranks 5 or 7 using ships other than the Fletcher?

Maybe he's a better cruiser or BB player and just wanted to have some fun playing a DD for a change?  Something I do sometimes, even though I don't do well in DD's.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,851 posts
13,070 battles
4 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

I agree in part and disagree in part.  OP is right that good clans don't have the monopoly on good players.  You can find good players everywhere.  The converse is not necessarily true.  You won't find many bad players in good clans.  You just won't.  You're not going to find a lot of potatoes in Kraken, ZR, 07, CONQR, Impact, etc...  You just won't.  If I see those clans and a number of others on my team, I am confident that they will perform well.  Just as I hope that when people see the -K- next to me, they know I'll usually carry my weight.

^^^Agree^^^

I take note of clan tags.  I don't know many of the members, but I do know the top clans tags.  I observe play during the game as well as take overall stock at end of game.  With rare exceptions, players with a top tag carry their weight.  

I've also noticed some clans have the "-" or "_" suffix.  Ostensibly this is for up and coming members.  Those who are not yet of the caliber of the top tag, but are good enough to rate the name with suffix.  These players also tend to perform well.  

Members
1,936 posts
1 hour ago, CaptnAndy said:

As a 1944 model potato who's declining vision, reaction time, and multi-tasking abilities have kept me at a consistent 42% WR since CBT, I love the game, even though I'm stuck at Rank 15. I am in the casual sub clan of Team Special Forces, and don't play in CW because CW because I would not be much of an asset to my team. If fate finds me on your team, please know that I'll be doing my best to contribute to the team win. If that's not good enough, TS. I support WG by paying for premium and a few flags, so I'm pulling my weight toward keeping the game alive. Your salt won't have any effect, since I don't give a s**t.

I appreciate this post man,

I'll sometimes get salty over stupidity I see in a match but way less than I used to, there are a ton of reasons people can't play at a certain level and at the end of the day it's  a [edited]game.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,634 battles

You're wrong! Everything I say is right! Wa wa wa etc etc

[STW-M]
Members
2,097 posts
5,894 battles
11 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

I agree about the top clans part, but I've also seen certain clan players denigrate others in chat because they're not part of a clan.

Usually, the trashtalker gets deleted early on, and the solo player goes on to be in the top 5.