You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

So Does Anyone Actually Remember Admiral Makarov?

17 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,113 posts
5,924 battles

So yesterday, I encountered a ship that I had completely forgotten even existed, the Russian version of Nurnberg, Admiral Makarov. It was probably the first time I've seen the premium ship this year ever since its release.

Is it just me, or was this one of the most obscure premiums ever released?

Were there any ships that had appear even more rarely?

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles
5 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

So yesterday, I encountered a ship that I had completely forgotten even existed, the Russian version of Nurnberg, Admiral Makarov. It was probably the first time I've seen the premium ship this year ever since its release.

It was sold in the tech tree at Christmas time and just now is being sold in the shop in the NA server that is. I like it but you have to angle a lot to get all guns on target.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,057 battles

Iwaki Alpha?

I think I saw a couple of Makarov’s in Ops last night.  But yeah, having played Nurnberg, experiencing it living up to the phrase “obligatory exploding Nurnberg” (which I’ve heard from multiple sources), I’m not surprised it didn’t sell like hot cakes.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

Iwaki Alpha is pretty rare as already mentioned. Arkansas doesn't have that many owners (had to get 50+ battles in CBT) but I see them from time to time.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles

Smith?

Don't know anything about exploding Nurnburgs or bad angles to get all the guns on target; I like Nurn and Mak and play them both as the mood strikes.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,057 battles
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Don't know anything about exploding Nurnburgs or bad angles to get all the guns on target; I like Nurn and Mak and play them both as the mood strikes.

If I’m playing a BB in the tier range, Nurn is pretty much the only target I’ll prioritize over an Omaha if they are both in gun range.  They pop like zits.  Thing is, I have to get those shots off quick or else someone beats me to the punch.

If you’re not experiencing that when you drive her, you must be doing something right.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Smith?

Got Dev striked by a Gneiseneau, while I wasn't even close to being broadside....................................................................

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,947 posts
10,733 battles

I have one and have played a few games in it but I did just get it recently. I see them now and then. Not very popular for sure. See more of those than Ashitaka though. Hardly ever see those even during the time they are being sold. I have that one too but don't play it much. Saw a lot of Roma when it 1st came out but hardly see it these days. Haven't played mine in a long time (guns too trolley).

Rarest one I have seen (or should I say don't see) is Iwaki Alpha (sp?). Seen maybe 1/2 dozen max since I joined in Dec 2016.

Surprisingly I see quite a few Ark Betas.

Alpha Tester
295 posts
1,389 battles
8 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

If I’m playing a BB in the tier range, Nurn is pretty much the only target I’ll prioritize over an Omaha if they are both in gun range.  They pop like zits.  Thing is, I have to get those shots off quick or else someone beats me to the punch.

If you’re not experiencing that when you drive her, you must be doing something right.

The trick with Nurnberg and Makarov is to spend most of your time running away from the enemy. Basically you want to be moving away and wiggling if you are getting attacked, makes you much harder to actually hit and you keep the majority of your firepower on target.

10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have one and have played a few games in it but I did just get it recently. I see them now and then. Not very popular for sure. See more of those than Ashitaka though. Hardly ever see those even during the time they are being sold. I have that one too but don't play it much. Saw a lot of Roma when it 1st came out but hardly see it these days. Haven't played mine in a long time (guns too trolley).

Rarest one I have seen (or should I say don't see) is Iwaki Alpha (sp?). Seen maybe 1/2 dozen max since I joined in Dec 2016.

Surprisingly I see quite a few Ark Betas.

Iwaki is not that impressive as far as I can tell. It has 10km torpedus and a short smoke consumable, it plays kinda like a destroyer with worse detection range and a citadel.

Arkansas on the other hand is like the Wyoming with no aa but access to tier 9 upgrades like the reload buff. Considering the lack of cvs now it is a solid ship for sure.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles

One of the most low key Premiums in the game.  I still have Nurnberg, she's cool and all but that squishy nature makes things unpleasant, especially when bottom tier.  Did not bite on Makarov for several reasons.

1.  I still have Nurnberg.

2.  I have all the previous Russian Premium Cruisers already, even Krispy Kreme, and they all sit at Tiers V (Krispy Kreme, Murmansk), VI (Molotov), VIII (Kutuzov).  VI Makarov brings nothing to the table as I got RU CL Premiums covering a massive MM spread already.  Though upcoming IX Kronshtadt getting a lot of buffs looks enticing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles
On 5/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

One of the most low key Premiums in the game.  I still have Nurnberg, she's cool and all but that squishy nature makes things unpleasant, especially when bottom tier.  Did not bite on Makarov for several reasons.

1.  I still have Nurnberg.

2.  I have all the previous Russian Premium Cruisers already, even Krispy Kreme, and they all sit at Tiers V (Krispy Kreme, Murmansk), VI (Molotov), VIII (Kutuzov).  VI Makarov brings nothing to the table as I got RU CL Premiums covering a massive MM spread already.  Though upcoming IX Kronshtadt getting a lot of buffs looks enticing.

Hey

I agree the Kronshtadt looks interesting.  I too still have my Nurnberg and enjoy playing it regularly; as for Makarov, too similar for me to get.

Pete

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

Rarely seen Premium ships:  Krazny Krym, Huanghe (Hang-Meh), Ashitaka (wait, they actually sold that already?), Mutsu, and Perth. Imperator Nikolai and Gremyaschy are fairly rare because they are OP dinosaurs. You don’t see Murmansk very often but I think that it was a much better ship before I started playing when AFT and BFT buffed it’s guns.  Oh Hood is another that you saw a fair amount of in the first 2 months after its release but rarely now. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
7 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Rarely seen Premium ships:  Krazny Krym, Huanghe (Hang-Meh), Ashitaka (wait, they actually sold that already?), Mutsu, and Perth. Imperator Nikolai and Gremyaschy are fairly rare because they are OP dinosaurs. You don’t see Murmansk very often but I think that it was a much better ship before I started playing when AFT and BFT buffed it’s guns.  Oh Hood is another that you saw a fair amount of in the first 2 months after its release but rarely now. 

Not only has Ashitaka been on sale several times, she's still one of the worst selling Premiums out there.  Not even Asia Server, where there's a lot of leaning towards IJN ships, has she been bought up eagerly there.  One of the most spectacular Premium Ship Failures ever.  Mutsu isn't played much, but last I saw, she sees a lot more action than Ashitaka.

Premium BBs tend to sell pretty well, but not her.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

Ashitaka needs her torps back as she had in her original design. Wargaming should look at lowering her citadel or some kind of survivability buff. It is the only battleship where I had have had to do a survivability build. Maybe they could buff those secondaries a bit to make her unique. Some extra range and faster reload wouldn't hurt on the main and secondary battery. Mainly though survivability buffs of some kind would be nice to see. It is a ship that I take out every once in a while. 

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles
On May 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Avenge_December_7 said:

It was an RU server exclusive for some internet service promo and yes they even have a Wargaming credit card too. Not a bad ship I enjoy it more than Nuremberg. It just seems to set more fires them Nuremberg does. 

Members
15 posts
3,715 battles
On 5/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, Silamon said:

The trick with Nurnberg and Makarov is to spend most of your time running away from the enemy. Basically you want to be moving away and wiggling if you are getting attacked, makes you much harder to actually hit and you keep the majority of your firepower on target.

^this.

[NASTY]
Beta Testers
493 posts
4,045 battles
On 5/16/2018 at 11:28 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

T5 MM ruined Murmansk for me.  I have a bout 350 matches in her and really loved that ship.  :Smile_sad: