You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Grind US CV line or no?

17 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,026 posts
8,264 battles

Title.

I bought Independence and mastered her quickly w/ my Taiho experience.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Title.

Keep in mind the CV rework is in progress. No clue how long that will take, when it will come out, or what it will be like. Just think about that stuff and then decide. Is it worth that effort when you don’t know if you will like what they become? On the other hand, maybe the way they are now is an easier to grind up. Really it’s up to you. 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Title.

If you enjoy playing CV then grind it without knowing when the rework is going to happen might as well do the line now while it's still a RTS, so when it do's happen you don't have to do it then. US CV do suck a bit at tier 7 and 8 due to the other CV you can face IJN and premium CV but in a way it makes it more challenging only having the one fighter squad till Essex. You should be fine since you have done the IJN you just have to change the way you play CV a bit. But yer grind the US CV line now in case the action style makes it harder to grind.

Beta Testers
674 posts
6,108 battles
10 hours ago, Reymu said:

Title.

It was fun to grind up the US CV line until the rework and then over nerf Midway it depend on u. U have to have skill lvl 6 or higher Capt. here some advice start cycling Capt. at tier IV, V, or use premium Cv's to get them to skill 10 immediately so when u reach the higher tier u may stand a chance against IJN, veteran or elite players, or both. I don't know what the CV rework going to bring: more nerf CV or more over powering problem or rework mechanics to fix a lot problems. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,026 posts
8,264 battles
7 minutes ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

It was fun to grind up the US CV line until the rework and then over nerf Midway it depend on u. U have to have skill lvl 6 or higher Capt. here some advice start cycling Capt. at tier IV, V, or use premium Cv's to get them to skill 10 immediately so when u reach the higher tier u may stand a chance against IJN, veteran or elite players, or both. I don't know what the CV rework going to bring: more nerf CV or more over powering problem or rework mechanics to fix a lot problems. 

Current build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0001000100010000001000000001000019

Had a spare 10-point captain, so put him to work. Haven't CE yet, not sure if it'll be necessary--planning on AFT and BFT after getting DFE.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
674 posts
6,108 battles
44 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Current build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0001000100010000001000000001000019

Had a spare 10-point captain, so put him to work. Haven't CE yet, not sure if it'll be necessary--planning on AFT and BFT after getting DFE.

That what everyone go by. But it's not what I think. I 75% agree what on that page. I choose skill form Exp in the battle what skills I need the most.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

I would swap EM for DFE as that's one you will need as you move up the tiers, CE do's help you get closer so your planes don't have to fly back as far and with the long [edited]reload time on US CV it can help.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles

Just remember that USN CVs have quite a few subtle nuances that distinguish them from the IJN CV playstyle, and you will have to adjust accordingly.

[LHG]
Members
1,194 posts
4,975 battles

The tried and true CV build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0001010000010000001000000001100119

Substitutions:

1. AFT or CE -> MAA: Depends on your preference for concealment values and AA bubbles, generally speaking IJN CVs can afford to not take CE

2. TAE -> BFT: Again this is more of an IJN-specific trade-off due to faster reloads, but if you're relying a lot more on DBs for your damage output then this could be an option for you

• Cool 1

Members
143 posts
6,638 battles

No. US CVs are outclassed in every facet in WOWs, I stopped at the Ranger and regretted all the spent grinding up the tech tree. Yes it' a game and all that, but in RL the US dominated the carrier war at and after the Battle of Midway.

In RL:

1. The US could arm its strike planes with torps or bombs

2. US CVs usually had more planes in the hangar because of folding wings, and thus often more planes in the air

3. US CVs had really fast aircraft turn around times compared to IJN

4. After the mid point of the war US planes became better and better, until they outclassed IJN planes

In WOWS none of this is true. IJN CVs have more squadron flexibility, they can put more planes in the air, they have a faster turn around. I found to my shock that the T6 Ryujo can put *15* fighters up against only *7* max for the USS Independence. 

I don't know why WOWS did it this way except they don't like US CVs at all...

Edited by EasyEight

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, EasyEight said:

I don't know why WOWS did it this way except they don't like US CVs at all...

That there pretty much sums it up, just look what they did to the Midway the one CV that stomped on the IJN CV they nerfed it big time then gave Hakuryu a buff all based one one server the RU server the other 3 servers they were close stat wise. If we want to top it off clear sky got removed because of one CV any guess on which one. No matter how much WG claims it's all to do with balance it's not they just don't like US CV having the upper hand on IJN CV.

Members
143 posts
6,638 battles

1. The US could arm its strike planes with torps or bombs

Oh heck, I forgot that US fighters were also multi-role and could be armed with a 500lb HE or AP bomb...so a US CV *should* be able to dynamically toggle most of its planes between bombs and torps during a game.

[TIMT]
Supertester
477 posts

Just unlocked my Essex, I love the challenge involved playing her, but wow, especially on weekends the hate is high for CV players.  And that's us having a good game, yet still loosing credits based on the broken payout system.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,368 battles

I would say yes.  A lot of the drama about US Carriers is over-exaggerated.  With potential future changes to Module No. 6 I think it might be time to give Midway the Bearcat back, but I haven't played it very much and it still seems fine in a lot of ways.

Sometimes it is just more fun to have harder hitting Dive Memers.  Whether you choose HE or CHAD bombs, you will be amazed how much better they are than the nearly useless Japanese equivalent.  Plus the sturdier fighter squadrons are a lot better to protect your fleet with.

[TIMT]
Supertester
477 posts

Waiting for Enterprise to come back on sale, maybe for Christmas, and get Wasp in the game.

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles
On 5/26/2018 at 8:33 PM, Tieberion said:

Just unlocked my Essex, I love the challenge involved playing her, but wow, especially on weekends the hate is high for CV players.  And that's us having a good game, yet still loosing credits based on the broken payout system.

Playing Essex, even fully upgraded, vs playing Taiho, even if I only have the upgraded planes and loadout, feels like night and day to me.

Yes, Essex generally crushes Taiho in the air war, but I find doing so while also preventing him from sneaking bombers around is quite difficult, and my own bombers are highly limited in their capacity to do damage.

Meanwhile, I find that even if I lose the air war in Taiho against an Essex, I can both cripple both of his fighter squadrons to the point of uselessness while nuking some poor North Carolina or Grober Kurfurst that strayed too far from their team. A tier 9 twelve-torpedo alpha strike (and cross-droppable as well) is no joke, even if you don't get flooding.