You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Helena: A high skill floor ship?

8 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Since the USN cruiser split will be released in the near future, I would like to begin by saying that I'm sort of looking forward to the New Orleans at Tier 7, which will be an upgrade over the current Pensacola. I am worried about what Pensacola will become once she's Tier 6, because I heard they're nerfing her concealment and turret rotation speed to the horrific levels before she got buffs. New Orleans will be better than the current Pensacola due to slightly better concealment even thought she loses CS1 from Tier 8, she'll have one less gun on a full broadside and 2 less when kiting, but 1 more gun forward and from videos I've seen her firing angles aren't bad. I heard she's also a slightly smaller target with a smaller citadel. As a Tier 7 she'll be in the sweet spot (though Tier 7 isn't really the sweet spot now probably because of Ranked) and won't see Tier 10. So yeah, that's the New Orleans, I'll play it pretty much like a Pensacola, perhaps a bit more aggressively. USN 8" AP is nice.

The ship I'm more curious about is the Tier 7 light cruiser, Helena. From what I understand she's basically a Cleveland with 1 more turret and a slightly slower rate of fire. What does concern me is her size and sluggishness. 15 guns is a lot of guns, and with IFHE makes for some nice fire spamming, but I worry that she'll be very reliant on island camping and not the open water play style I am accustomed to. I am also worried that due to the range and arcs she'll struggle when facing higher tiers. What do you guys think? Will she be a very high skill floor kind of ship? How would she perform, and what struggles may she have?

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,278 posts
25,297 battles
1 minute ago, Zionas said:

Since the USN cruiser split will be released in the near future, I would like to begin by saying that I'm sort of looking forward to the New Orleans at Tier 7, which will be an upgrade over the current Pensacola. I am worried about what Pensacola will become once she's Tier 6, because I heard they're nerfing her concealment and turret rotation speed to the horrific levels before she got buffs. New Orleans will be better than the current Pensacola due to slightly better concealment even thought she loses CS1 from Tier 8, she'll have one less gun on a full broadside and 2 less when kiting, but 1 more gun forward and from videos I've seen her firing angles aren't bad. I heard she's also a slightly smaller target with a smaller citadel. As a Tier 7 she'll be in the sweet spot (though Tier 7 isn't really the sweet spot now probably because of Ranked) and won't see Tier 10. So yeah, that's the New Orleans, I'll play it pretty much like a Pensacola, perhaps a bit more aggressively. USN 8" AP is nice.

The ship I'm more curious about is the Tier 7 light cruiser, Helena. From what I understand she's basically a Cleveland with 1 more turret and a slightly slower rate of fire. What does concern me is her size and sluggishness. 15 guns is a lot of guns, and with IFHE makes for some nice fire spamming, but I worry that she'll be very reliant on island camping and not the open water play style I am accustomed to. I am also worried that due to the range and arcs she'll struggle when facing higher tiers. What do you guys think? Will she be a very high skill floor kind of ship? How would she perform, and what struggles may she have?

From the couple of podcasts I've listened to, the consensus is that the Helena and Wooster are the gems in the light cruiser branch.

[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles

This is the playstyle of USN cruisers, find an island and dominate the local area.

It's been the case for almost every light cruiser in the game, they just don't have the armour to survive open water brawling for prolonged periods of times unlike the heavy cruisers

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
1 minute ago, Arlios said:

This is the playstyle of USN cruisers, find an island and dominate the local area.

It's been the case for almost every light cruiser in the game, they just don't have the armour to survive open water brawling for prolonged periods of times unlike the heavy cruisers

Hey it's nice to see you here! I'm also from Canada and I've been a fan of your videos for quite some time. ^^

I actually play USN heavy cruisers like the Pensacola quite aggressively. When you're top tier, or when the enemy's being distracted by your teammates, it does just fine. However, it's also a very team dependent ship whose potential suffers greatly when the team isn't pushing. I only use island cover when absolutely necessary, perhaps I should really try to use it more.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,923 battles
1 hour ago, Arlios said:

Well, its not like most Heavy Cruisers have much of an edge in protection until around tier IX anyways.

I am really looking forward to Helena though, she looks really fun to play especially since the RoF got a bit of a bump.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Cruisers as a TYPE have high skill floors.  It's pretty much a given, when you consider they're the most singularly fragile type of ship in the game.

That said, Helena looks like a blast to play.

And the premium equivalent, Boise, with 15 guns and radar, promises to be a blast as well!

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 10:21 PM, Arlios said:

Not true, every nation of light cruiser including the Japanese get too high shell velocity and too great range to camp islands with the exception of the British who gets smoke to compensate.