You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

What Is Your Opinion of Ranked?

Ranked  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think of Ranked?

• I Love It!!
    • It's Ok......
    • It's a Grind, Not Enjoyable
    • A Crime Against Humanity
    • The Ever Delicious Bacon

45 comments in this topic

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

What do you think about Ranked this season?  Love it? Hate?  Would rather eat nails?

What is your opinion and why?

What could WG do to improve it?

Edit:  Realized I asked your opinion, but didn't provide my own.

Ranked is just a bit too much of a grind for my tastes.  Usually I will play to a certain point to stock up on flags and once I hit a grind wall I typically hang it up.  Since I took a break from the game and missed last ranked had to start from 23 this time.  Made it to 8 or 9 and that was about all I cared for.  More about being stubborn than skill and starts to become stale at a point.  Some seasons it's higher ranked than others.  This season since it is so easy for anyone to reach 10 that is your grind wall.  You start burning all the flags you won and then some and it just becomes a choir in my opinion.  

What they could improve on imo is to reward good play regardless of win.  Top 2 on a team advance a star, 3rd place on both hold steady, 4 through 7 drop a star.  Would make getting to the top worthwhile and actually mean something instead of just sheer will to grind/get dragged into the W column.  Guess that's my 2 cents.

Edited by Aeries1

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,762 battles

It's OK so far. Only played about 8 times and I'm at rank 15. Been busy and haven't played WOWS as much due to the nicer weather and watching Cardinal baseball games in the evening. Ranked battles isn't a high priority with me. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

its the fact that I can go down 5 ranks just because Im on a bad streak. If I start out on a bad day, then my whole motivation tanks. IMO each rank should be irrevocable. Make them harder to achieve if you have to, but thats just my 2 cents

Edited by _1204_

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

I think it's one of the worst things in this game. To begin, I never do ranked myself because it's simply not worth it. You'd expect smaller teams to have better coordination, but there are just as many (to put it lightly) ignorant players in Ranked. Because it's accessible to everyone rather than a select portion of players who actually have the skills, it all makes for an experience no less frustrating than random battles. What's supposed to be a 'competitive' mode of gameplay becomes an extreme frustration due to the fact that it's free-for-all. 

Every ranked season lasts for way too long. When ranked is in progress, it depletes random battles of players, leading to uptiering much more frequently, this season I'm currently experiencing constant uptiering even at Tier 7.

There should be less 'irrevocable' ranks, because bad players can get a lot further than they should be allowed to.

Members
1,152 posts
3,145 battles

If I can grind my Akizuki and get free stuff like flags, camo, premium time, etc., I consider it a good situation. 

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

Ranked is the only way Warships should be played.

If they removed the star saving for the biggest loser (and all the silly scoring issues and behavior that comes out of it) ranked would pretty much be perfect.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

@Zionas

Maybe it's your approach to ranked and your overall expectation as to what "ranked" actually is that is putting you off on it? The word/term "Ranked" in and of itself is indeed indicative of "skill" in many other games, not only online, but in real life. However, in a lot of other games, video and real life, ranking is just that, a numerical value put to "something" and has almost nothing to do with a "skill" or "skill set".

Sure, frustration plays into it, but no more than any other Random match if you think about it... There are still people with 500 or less games in, with a 35% win ratio that are persistent that their way is truly "the only way to win". They will rage in chat, they will berate you, etc. The best way is to not engage in the first place because, that is in fact what they are looking for...  There are still afk's, like in Randoms, poor tactics overall, nothing is different except one important thing and this is actually important if you look at it this way.

You and everyone that participates gets free "stuff"... Flags, Premium time and even Doubloons if you reach certain ranks.

So while you insist that this "has to be a competitive" mode. The fact that for Seasons on end that it truly isn't and even a 44-46% win ratio (in that mode - ranked) can grind out to Rank 1 if they play enough games, should be a hint that the mode itself is nothing more than a "free stuff, give away from WarGaming" coupled with a dash of "different game style" via 7 players and different spawning locations.

That is all "Ranked" is... To look at it any other way or to try to force it to be something it isn't is probably the source of your frustration.

@Aeries1

With regards to this season specifically, sorry I didn't vote in the pole as it didn't have an answer that fit me.

I'm actually going to throw myself under the bus here. It was an eye opener to be honest. While I am fairly proficient in Tier 8's, depending on the ship/s, the eye opener laid in my Tier 10's. That was my weakness, truth be told. Having 5 less players in the mix, put more pressure on my own skill set within any ship I que'd in and with that, any weakness I had was only magnified.

With that said, after 4 or 5 losses having que'd up once in a different ship each time, I stepped back and looked at all of my Tier 10's at the time (I didn't have the Mino when the Season started). I looked over my Win Ratio's, Average Damage Dealt, Survivability, in other words, I looked at what was important'ish to ranked game play (win rate didn't really matter so much over all, but I wanted to compare it to my personal over all which was a vast difference, in some cases, 8%-10% below my overall).

In other words, I suck at Tier 10... So recognizing that, I stopped at Rank 10 so I wouldn't drag the team down and I've since focused a bit more on my Tier 10 game play. Not pushing like I used to and focusing more on surviving, etc. I don't know if I will que again before the Season is out, just due to my own personal issue with not wanting to drag anyone down, but I think it was a good wake-up call for me and showed me where I truly lacked. At least in that one area, as I know I lack in a few.

All in all, personally I took the Season as constructive criticism, even though I know it wasn't meant to be. I think that is a good thing, but I know that my opinion on that is in the minority.

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles

It needs some kind of qualification system, something to thin out the absurd number of clueless players, like have 5 starting ranks that are scored by points earned, and nothing else. top 7 advance, bottom 7 fall back, winning or losing doesn't matter. Advance on your own merits, rather than the RNG of matchmaker declaring "This Match! You get Potatoes!" or "This Match, the Other Guy Gets Hosed!"

• Cool 2

Members
2,501 posts
5,492 battles

delete

Edited by dionkraft
delete

[-WPG-]
Members
813 posts
3,352 battles

I love it.  I got the New Orleans right before ranked season, along with 3+ weeks of premium (1 from finishing the science of victory campaign, and 2 more from supercontainers... plus a couple more days from ranked and scenarios).  With premium, along with the 200% first win bonuses recently, and some XP flags and camo, I'm now 20k from the Baltimore having only played a total of 6 random battles where I risked T9/10MM.  

In addition to the bonus of skipping bad MM, I just like the (usually) team-oriented approach and communication that is most often absent from randoms. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

Members
9,980 posts
44 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Ranked is the only way Warships should be played.

If they removed the star saving for the biggest loser (and all the silly scoring issues and behavior that comes out of it) ranked would pretty much be perfect.

Considering less than 1% of the player base bothers with it, and less than a 10th of a percent actually reach rank one, just how far do you think this scorched earth policy will fly?

How would the queue be with only 1% of players remotely active? Or do you think WOWP is profitable?:Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Testers
964 posts
1,903 battles

I've only played like 3 ranked games, but coordination is far better than on random teams. You still have weird players (shout out to the Hipper who charged at the enemy, refusing to stop even while I was attempting to lay smoke for you) but overall teammates tend to at least try and communicate. I was far more into it than in randoms, and scoring a dev strike in the Amagi felt more satisfying than normal. It felt like I actually did something to help the team win, with the smaller team taken into consideration. That said, it's not a primary concern for me and I'll only play one or two when it suits me.

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles

Hate it.

Utter grind, more of a campfest than high tier Randoms, a great way for a destroyer to die faster just doing its job than in Randoms, and a waste of time beyond the possibility of getting a new flag each season.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

[KSD]
Members
68 posts
3,384 battles

I finally got into the 5-1 bracket. Maybe its the fact that im new to this hi tier meta but it feels like, as a DD, my goal is to not lose the game for our team. Everyone is so damn good up here that if you make even the slightest mistake everyone on the map shoots at you and they are accurate enough to delete you in very short order. 

I just miss T8s where you can be a bit more aggressive with your guns if you catch a torp DD by his self. With all the firepower and radar I have been struggling to be effective. Now all I can do to influence the match is spot while constantly keeping track of how far I am from radar ships and hope that I can get some torp hits. 

I can't be the only one who finds this gameplay boring

[WORX]
Members
1,869 posts
12,918 battles

The issue I have with ranked is,

• You can rank out with out losing a star, (but you still have to win in order to get a star).
  • Ranked point system
  1. If you lose, the one with high DMG, don't lose a star,
  2. In tier 10, it creates a toxic Conqueror back of the map spamming HE fires creating a DMG advantage that no other class ship has for the tier.
  • IF your BBs or DDs don;t produce, you will not have a chance to win.

I recommend that a change in tier/points system/Maybe BB mechanics to like the Halloween event Part 1. That was fun and engaging with BBs encouraged to be more brawlers would spice ranked up a little. 

AS for me, I think I am close to calling my ranked season done. A little salt is cool, tier X salt well, I pass. I admire everyone who does manage to rank out, you have my admiration for a high emotional pain tolerance. GL/HF

Edited by Navalpride33

[LOU1]
Members
3,061 posts
8,148 battles

How do you rank out, or even advance, without winning any stars (battles)?

Edited by ExploratorOne

[WORX]
Members
1,869 posts
12,918 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

How do you rank out, or even advance, without winning any stars (battles)?

Your right let me edit that.

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You can rank out with out winning a single game

Huh? Even if you ranked out last season & started at rank 13...if you take top of the team in a million losing battles straight in a row you will still ba at rank 13...you have to win games to advance.

Edit: Nevermind...you're editing that...lol.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WORX]
Members
1,869 posts
12,918 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Huh? Even if you ranked out last season & started at rank 13...if you take top of the team in a million losing battles straight in a row you will still ba at rank 13...you have to win games to advance.

I know I edit that, my fault for the confusion.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,079 posts
6,806 battles

i honestly think that if i said what i really think about Ranked, i'd probably be banned for the sheer amount of profanity used, if that gives you any indication 

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Funny 2

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I know I edit that, my fault for the confusion.

NP...frustrations at frustrating things causes my overreaction meter to overload sometimes too.

I have a 2 stars loss w/out a win policy...if I lose 2 games in a row (w/out a push) I am done for the night...unless it is morning & then I will at least wait until the night to try again. Some days only get a few battles in & others I'll advance a rank or 3 [although that was in the T8 meta...just obtained T10 last night (I always wait a couple weeks before starting to let the unicum/good players get ahead...then if anybody complains about my play I can always say, "why are you still this low in the ranks? It can't be me...I just started")].

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
672 posts
2,201 battles

I'll let you know as soon as I can get 2 games in a row with out the client freezing / crashing