You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taylor3006

Best Way to Destroy Modules

22 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,223 battles

I was looking over the upcoming events for this month and on the 18th there is a mission to get a special German commander. I was looking at all the parts of the missions and the one requirement that sticks out to me is the destruction of 50 modules. Everything else seems cut and dry, but this one is a bit more baffling to me. I have disabled modules before but never on purpose and 50 seems a big number. I normally get these when I destroy a DD usually with lots of HE from a BB or CA. 

I am curious if anyone knows a surefire way of disabling modules. Should I spam HE or AP? Is there a particularly good ship for destroying them?

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,016 battles
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I was looking over the upcoming events for this month and on the 18th there is a mission to get a special German commander. I was looking at all the parts of the missions and the one requirement that sticks out to me is the destruction of 50 modules. Everything else seems cut and dry, but this one is a bit more baffling to me. I have disabled modules before but never on purpose and 50 seems a big number. I normally get these when I destroy a DD usually with lots of HE from a BB or CA. 

I am curious if anyone knows a surefire way of disabling modules. Should I spam HE or AP? Is there a particularly good ship for destroying them?

I'm not sure about surefire, but if you do enough damage to a ship, you are likely to also damage modules.

I collect that data, but I don't have it encoded yet for easy retrieval.  One idea is BB HE at pretty much anything.  Another option is HE at DDs.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

HE usually does better.

Really not sure about the rest though, I've been wondering the same thing too.

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

You don't have to destroy the modules, just hit them for that mission.  BB HE has a large splash damage radius and you can easily damage a lot of modules on a ship's deck.

@LittleWhiteMouse did some splash damage tests a while back:

Edited by ExploratorOne

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,223 battles

Nice Explorer, thanks! Will check out the link. Thanks everyone, this is starting to look like a job for my British battleships! 

Edit: Just read Mouse's article... She is a freaking scientist or something... Brilliant explanations and most definitely a job for HE spamming battleships. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,293 battles

play the Conq and you'll wipe out every module topside in two salvos of HE

Members
4,826 posts
5,596 battles

I'd just use USN DDs and do the USN DD thing, contesting caps and DD hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if DDs have the highest rate for destroying modules, as they're usually combating other destroyers, which have fragile modules, and if they're smoke shooting at BBs, it's relatively easy to knock out AA mounts without trying to do so.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
4,558 posts
6,484 battles
10 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

play the Conq and you'll wipe out every module topside in two salvos of HE

HE....aim for superstructure. Works!! Knocks out guns, torp tubes, secondaries, other stuff. + gets em burning.  Castrate em.

Edited by dmckay

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

I forget, do AA guns and secondaries count for purposes of that mission?

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

Best way to destroy modules? Be a bot, they get them with every salvo of HE...

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,285 posts
25,344 battles
14 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

They did for previous missions in the past so I would assume they would.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,285 posts
25,344 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Best way is to use a HE spewing ship and targetting enemy ships that have alot of AA mounts, like BBs.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
33 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Yes.

[WORX]
Members
1,858 posts
12,904 battles

50 Modules, That is a piece of cake. But if you see something like incapacitate engine or steering geers, Now THAT is a pain from Stalin's grave with major stress implications.so I wouldn't be worried

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles

British BBs firing HE. I'd use Nelson, since it also has accurate guns that can whap DDs.

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles

Think I did missions similar to the one in question using Bismarck with AP shells in the main guns like normal and letting my full secondary build handle the smashing of modules. CAs that are know for their good HE shells can be useful as well.

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,223 battles
1 hour ago, Patton5150 said:

Best way is to use a HE spewing ship and targetting enemy ships that have alot of AA mounts, like BBs.

Yeah that is great advice, hadn't thought about the number of modules on a ship. Thanks Patton!

I had forgotten about Bismarck, haven't used her in a long while. Secondaries knocking out modules, brilliant, thanks Thrawn!

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,912 battles

HE spam with the Conq. If you are lucky you get this done in the first try.

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles

HE is the only practical way to do it.

In absolute terms AP will one hit kill modules, but you have to hit it DEAD ON, which is outlandish considering how modules are smaller than cits and are often at angles that strongly favor bounces off the deck, hits in the superstructure, or the belt instead.

Use a BB so that you can maximize the radius of the explosion and ensure that it will not shatter on impact (which will not damage modules).

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,499 battles

Fire aka HE. It's that simple.