Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Silvin

Manual target selection for main battery

8 comments in this topic

[SF-E]
[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
177 posts
7,850 battles

This may sound like a noob question but I have not found the answer...

How can I manually select a target for my main battery? Say I am tracking a Bismark and a Minotaur pops up in front of it, showing full broadside. Of course I want to hit the Minotaur, but my aim keeps tracking the Bismark. Even if I shoot at where the Mino is, the shells seem to try to hit the Bismark and I miss both ships. I wiggle my mouse towards the Mino and eventually the target switches but that takes too long. I'd like to double click on a target to select it, or press a key when the mouse is over it.

Right-click works for the secondary armament but I don't know how to do it for the main guns.

Thanks!

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,081 battles

You press the “x” key. You do have to be aiming at the ship with very little or no lead when you press it though. I have pressed it a few times when leading a target and it just deselects the one I was previously targeting. 

Beta Testers
408 posts
4,811 battles
43 minutes ago, Silvin said:

...Even if I shoot at where the Mino is, the shells seem to try to hit the Bismark and I miss both ships...

When a ship is targeted, the game adds some range correction to any shots you take at that ship.  When the target marker is on another ship, the range correction will make your shells miss depending on where the targeted ship is in relation to the ship you may be aiming at.  

[SF-E]
[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
177 posts
7,850 battles

Thank you, I knew I was missing something obvious.

That helps a lot!

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles
1 hour ago, Silvin said:

Thank you, I knew I was missing something obvious.

That helps a lot!

X key is the way to manually target a ship, but sometime the auto targeting already secrecy’s the ship so that when you hit X it deselects the target. Of this happens just hit the X key again and it will retarget the ship for you.

Also if you are wanting to hit Co-Op or Scenerio bots with torpedoes get you Torpedo cone aimed and then quickly hit X key to deselect your intended target and then quickly fire the Torps, or else the bots  will know about your Torps the instant you fire them. So X key has couple good uses.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles

They are correct about it being X, but I remap it to the space bar. 

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
474 posts
11,987 battles

You can also go to settings, controls and click on Track the Locked Target.  I suggest you try it out to see if you like it.  Fire up a training room or coop game and see if that suits your play style.  When selected it will keep you locked onto the selected target, when unchecked it will not.  I find the aiming systems is quicker when unchecked.

Sign in to follow this