Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S16_Hunter

Question about CV's dropping torps near islands

12 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
231 posts
7,217 battles

Not being a CV driver I don't know nor understand the in's and out's of dropping torps.  Is there a minimum distance you can have your planes drop torps when coming in "over" the island?   Meaning from the Island, land side, out to open water?   So minimum distance between island and ship. 

I've been in a couple of games where I was hugging an island and got torped by a CV and just wondered how they could drop torps when I'm that close to the island from the island side..  Can you accidently drop the torps on the island?

I have had some drops that I didn't get killed by even though all the torps went under my ship, is there a minimum arming distance limit for dropped torps?   or maybe and sorry I don't know do some carriers have Deep water torps?

Just curious..

Wish I had screen shots, but never think of that when I'm chugging along in game..

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

There is a minimum arming distance for TB, also if your close to the island and they drop on you what looks like it was land then you may only see 1 torpedo or none depending.  Good cv players know how close they can get to drop them

• Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

There's a drop indicator that'll show you from where the torps will be dropped to where they run out of fuel, so making sure you don't drop on land is pretty easy. From there it's just knowing how far the torps will travel before they arm (3.5 seconds for usn and ijn, 3 seconds for the Germans).

That the water begins immediately following a 100 foot cliff or any of the "mountains" that are barely taller than battleships doesn't matter.

Edited by cometguy

[-DOG-]
[-DOG-]
Members
37 posts
3,011 battles

A cheap sleezy exploit that cv players use just report them,just another reason cv's SHOULD be REMOVED from game.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles
23 minutes ago, WW2_Iron_Duke said:

A cheap sleezy exploit that cv players use just report them,just another reason cv's SHOULD be REMOVED from game.

Yeah core game mechanics are cheap, sleazy exploits when you personally do not understand or make use of them. 

@S16_Hunter

There is a distance, but it is extremely small. When carriers look in their top down view and goto drop torpedoes, a green cone will appear inside a circle. In order to make the drop, the planes have to be outside the circle when the attack order is given. They also have to be able to turn to fly on the proper line to makethe attack before they fly into the circle. A bit inside the circle there is a cone which represents where the torpedoes will enter the water. It also shows how wide the total torpedo spread will be, and shows the maximum torpedo range. The baseof this cone is where the torpedoes will enter the water. In top down view, this cone starts roughly 2x the width of a normal battleship away from the edge of the circle. Most air dropped torpedoes will run something like 2-3 time's the width of a battleship before they arm. All a carrier playerhas to do to drop right on the edgeof an island is put the base of the drop cone in the water, not on the island, but leave 2 or 3 battleship widths between that point and the target.

To simplify,  you are almost never going to be able toget so closeto an Island that's carrier cannot hit you, and in almost all cases where you are too close, they will simply fly to your offshore side and drop the torpedoes in the other direction. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,208 battles

No you cant drop torps "inside" the island.

But you can drop torps 'close' to the island (too close not work becuse 1. colide in the island, 2. not aiming time).

You not "hug" the island enough if the cv drop you.

Its kind hard do that (drop between islands and ships) but good cvs know the right distance to do that.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles
1 hour ago, S16_Hunter said:

Not being a CV driver I don't know nor understand the in's and out's of dropping torps.  Is there a minimum distance you can have your planes drop torps when coming in "over" the island?   Meaning from the Island, land side, out to open water?   So minimum distance between island and ship. 

I've been in a couple of games where I was hugging an island and got torped by a CV and just wondered how they could drop torps when I'm that close to the island from the island side..  Can you accidently drop the torps on the island?

I have had some drops that I didn't get killed by even though all the torps went under my ship, is there a minimum arming distance limit for dropped torps?   or maybe and sorry I don't know do some carriers have Deep water torps?

Just curious..

Wish I had screen shots, but never think of that when I'm chugging along in game..

Other than the aim point for the drop must be on the map, and torps that get dropped over land don't work, there's no restrictions on where torps can be dropped. On a good manual drop,  the aiming point will be on the far side of the target, so it can make dropping on border huggers troublesome. Maps are 2d for aircraft. They can see and be seen though mountains, fly though them, get shot down through them, ect... Aircraft can also not be sent outside the map directly, though they will gladly fly outside the map in order to line up for an attack

Graf Zeppelin can have deepwater torpedoes, but there's absolutely no good reason to bring them over standard torps. If normal torpedoes haven't armed before they get to you, they will just disappear , no "bonk" or "thud" to tell you what happened. A torpedo can be dropped inside a ship, I don't know if it can hit the ship from the inside, the only one I've seen this happen with left the stern of my ship before arming and I didn't see it until I saw the replay. Also, as with all torpedoes, not all of your ship can be hit in all cases, some ships have sterns that torpedoes will pass under.

Here's the replay from way back when it happened, it's near the end when the CV was panic dropping on me, you can see the torpedo wake though the stern of my ship.

And here's iChase's tutorial showing pretty much exactly how they work.Good to see the mechanics in action.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
42 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

No you cant drop torps "inside" the island.

But you can drop torps 'close' to the island (too close not work becuse 1. colide in the island, 2. not aiming time).

You not "hug" the island enough if the cv drop you.

Its kind hard do that (drop between islands and ships) but good cvs know the right distance to do that.

Not entirely impossible to hug an island close enough to force a torp drop to miss; but it’s easier to do in PvE than PvP.

As someone else said;  a smart carrier driver will just fly to your open side and drop if they have to.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,208 battles
25 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not entirely impossible to hug an island close enough to force a torp drop to miss; but it’s easier to do in PvE than PvP.

As someone else said;  a smart carrier driver will just fly to your open side and drop if they have to.

Its depends what ship you going atack and in what situation.

If be one AA cruiser or heavy aa bb is better atack fast (if you need atack this targer, not recomended, but somtimes you need), and you need see where is the enemy fighters.

So its depends... a lot.

[BIAS]
Members
3,142 posts
9,228 battles
29 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Its depends what ship you going atack and in what situation.

If be one AA cruiser or heavy aa bb is better atack fast (if you need atack this targer, not recomended, but somtimes you need), and you need see where is the enemy fighters.

So its depends... a lot.

It's also depends on whether or not the cv on the other team is an account that sync dropped, allowing rigging the match and doing whatever a person wants. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles

I think it's funny when people leave angry emojis on posts where I'm telling someone who asked how something works.

[H_]
Members
231 posts
7,217 battles
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, Captain_Dorja said:

Yeah core game mechanics are cheap, sleazy exploits when you personally do not understand or make use of them. 

@S16_Hunter

There is a distance, but it is extremely small. When carriers look in their top down view and goto drop torpedoes, a green cone will appear inside a circle. In order to make the drop, the planes have to be outside the circle when the attack order is given. They also have to be able to turn to fly on the proper line to makethe attack before they fly into the circle. A bit inside the circle there is a cone which represents where the torpedoes will enter the water. It also shows how wide the total torpedo spread will be, and shows the maximum torpedo range. The baseof this cone is where the torpedoes will enter the water. In top down view, this cone starts roughly 2x the width of a normal battleship away from the edge of the circle. Most air dropped torpedoes will run something like 2-3 time's the width of a battleship before they arm. All a carrier playerhas to do to drop right on the edgeof an island is put the base of the drop cone in the water, not on the island, but leave 2 or 3 battleship widths between that point and the target.

To simplify,  you are almost never going to be able toget so closeto an Island that's carrier cannot hit you, and in almost all cases where you are too close, they will simply fly to your offshore side and drop the torpedoes in the other direction. 

Thank you.  Great explanation and explains why I've been deleted a few times thinking HOW IN THE F**** did they do that.. 

Thanks to you all for the responses.  Maybe one day i'll give a CV a whirl seems to be pretty complicated and you better have thick skin cause players are ridiculously caustic toward CV captains. I try not to complain because I don't drive them.

Sign in to follow this