You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

Atlanta Captain Skills

14 comments in this topic

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

With the Atlanta being back up for sale I couldn't resist adding her to my port.  With my love of US DDs and complete comfort with their rainbow arcs it was a perfect fit.

What do you find the most optimal spec?

Currently I run PT, AR, BFT, AFT, and CE and working on my 16th pt.

My main question is do you find IFHE worth it?  It would give her the ability to pen 27 mm of armor so effective against plating of T7 and below BBs, but also give you the ability to pen up to T9 cruisers that have 25 - 27 mm of bow/stern armor.  

I am almost tempted to drop CE as she is an island fighter so unless driven into open water isn't really useful other than getting your detection from planes down to roughly equal to her AA bubble.

Your thoughts?

[WORX]
Members
1,815 posts
12,861 battles
1 minute ago, Aeries1 said:

My main question is do you find IFHE worth it?

The answer is No lol..

2 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

I am almost tempted to drop CE

Don;t do it, as soon as you're spotted your going to be a beacon to all the BBs in the area that your a floating Citadel. You need all the concealment that CE provides and island hugging places you can think of, other then that she is fun but hard to master so GL/HF 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles
24 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

My main question is do you find IFHE worth it?  It would give her the ability to pen 27 mm of armor so effective against plating of T7 and below BBs, but also give you the ability to pen up to T9 cruisers that have 25 - 27 mm of bow/stern armor.  

I really couldn't add more to what Miss Mouse has said and painstakingly documented.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,442 posts
11,703 battles

Super intendant for radar. 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles
36 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

My main question is do you find IFHE worth it?

Yes.  Sure, you're firing 14 guns at any target, but they are the WoWs equivalent of pop-guns.  Without IFHE, they can bounce and shatter even on BB superstructure.  The fire chance for a single shell is so low to begin with that, to light fires on enemy ships, Atlanta relies on volume of shells to get the job done.  You won't see any significant change in that aspect of Atlanta's gunnery with IFHE vs. without.

I don't have a dedicated captain for Atlanta - whenever I run it I move my Cleveland captain over (the ships are similar enough to benefit from the same skill set).  At 14 points, I'm currently running PM, EM, BFT, AFT, IFHE.  If that changes after the split, what with Cleveland moving up two tiers and facing thicker armor, then I'll keep this captain for Atlanta specifically and put a new skipper in the Cleveland.

• Cool 1

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
35 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The answer is No lol..

Don;t do it, as soon as you're spotted your going to be a beacon to all the BBs in the area that your a floating Citadel. You need all the concealment that CE provides and island hugging places you can think of, other then that she is fun but hard to master so GL/HF 

1) Then you don't quite understand how IFHE effects penetration mechanics

2) With all due respect, if you are playing out in the open relying on CE to help you, you are playing Atlanta very very wrong.

Just finish a game with a win where I was spotted maybe 30 seconds the entire game and that was with a CV present.  117k and 2 kills.  Small sample size, but 8 games in over 70% WR and with the last game should be knocking on 50k average.

27 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I really couldn't add more to what Miss Mouse has said and painstakingly documented.

Thank you for this.  Searched but for some reason could not dig up her latest review on it.

Choices, choices.

Think that IFHE for <139 mm guns is only -1% fire think IFHE is going to be the way to go.  Could boost back up to 6% with DE  then JoaT or forgo that and just make up the 1 % with flags.  Then could do CE/Manaul AAA then PM.  So many good options.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,815 posts
12,861 battles

33 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

1) Then you don't quite understand how IFHE effects penetration mechanics

I do know the Penetration Mechanics. I don't recommend it, just because I don;t recommend it DOES NOT mean I don;t know what it does.

And for number 2, Please read my original post there is nothing there to suggest MY play style.

33 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

Think that IFHE for <139 mm guns is only -1% fire think IFHE is going to be the way to go.  Could boost back up to 6% with DE  then JoaT or forgo that and just make up the 1 % with flags

Very well, you do what you want to do. you asked for an opinion so I gave it. GL

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles
48 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

Thank you for this.  Searched but for some reason could not dig up her latest review on it.

I always just look the ship up in the WIKI if Miss Mouse made a review it is linked in the wiki for that ship.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,409 battles

I have run every American line and have a spare captain at 10 pts. Going to build a dedicated Atlanta captain. Might actually build two. 

Surface action build. Let’s face it right now cvs are rare. I do run aa mod 2 as aiming mode is useless on Atlanta. Read LWM as to why. 

Critical skills for surface. 

PT

AR

BFT. RPM is essentially

CE. Got to hide best you can

DE is probably essential as fire is a huge component of damage for ATL. Also run fire flags.

IHFE makes a huge difference in pens altought t8 bbs are a bit thick. 

Could make a case for AFT but only the best could hit anything at that range and it would cost you either bft or de both of which you need for damage. 

Last two points JoaT. 

AA build 

PT

JoaT

BFT

AFT and manual AA

i would probably take CE and PM but there is a point to wanting to be seen and deter cv from your area in that case consider ihfe or de and ar. 

Honesty Atlanta’s reputation and a plane killer probably negates the need for a AA capt as she is lethal as she is. 

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,701 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, Aeries1 said:

With the Atlanta being back up for sale I couldn't resist adding her to my port.  With my love of US DDs and complete comfort with their rainbow arcs it was a perfect fit.

What do you find the most optimal spec?

Currently I run PT, AR, BFT, AFT, and CE and working on my 16th pt.

I am almost tempted to drop CE as she is an island fighter so unless driven into open water isn't really useful other than getting your detection from planes down to roughly equal to her AA bubble.

Your thoughts?

14pt captain on my Atlanta and I use IFHE instead of CE skill since she already has decent concealment. HE damage totals are much better with IFHE.

Skills are PT, AR, DE, AFT and IFHE. Prefer the AFT for added 20% main gun range of 13+km and added AA gun range. 

Edited by dust340man

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

I'd drop AFT before I dropped CE.  I don't like to use AFT on my 127mm ships

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,701 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, crzyhawk said:

I'd drop AFT before I dropped CE.  I don't like to use AFT on my 127mm ships

Ahh... but it's nice to start that one last fire at 13km as the BB tries to escape your rain of hell.:cap_rambo:

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,750 posts
2,067 battles
On 9/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, dust340man said:

Ahh... but it's nice to start that one last fire at 13km as the BB tries to escape your rain of hell.:cap_rambo:

Ahh...to wait out that 20 seconds penalty to your concealment stat....

[BB-63]
Members
22 posts
1,523 battles

I play mine with a dedicated capt that I was setting up for the new light cruisers and I have CE, IFHE, DE,  ADRUSH so far, am going for survivability exp next. it is Great at wiping out dd's and tormenting bb's and a nightmare for cv's, the range is terrible compared to dd's that have the same guns, the ship is very squishy if it is spotted in the open you will get hammered by everything.